2021 albums worth a listen.... (2 Viewers)

this arrived this morning. I ordered it on a Saturday night and it was sent out the next Monday through Pitney Bowes from Richmond, Virginia. So it only took ten days.

unfortunately the hi-fi speaker cables I ordered in January still haven't arrived so I can't listen to it.

in other news - two CD's I ordered from Barcelona arrived on Tuesday, having been mailed
five weeks and one day earlier. there must not be many planes coming from there these days.

Good to hear. Did you pay any tax/duty etc on the record? I'm curious now. I thought even the smallest thing would be taxed horrendously. Let me know. I might buy a single release directly from some artists. I'd imagine there's a threshold where if you go over spending x amount, they'll ride ya.

I have only bought one thing since being badly stung buying that whopper of a Codeine boxset 'When I See the Sun' years ago. The only time since I begged the guy to say I was a journo on the paperwork and to say it was for work purposes...

usually if the sender ticks 'GIFT' on the customs declaration there's no issue.
I got a CD in the post Wednesday from the UK and the seller did that - no problem.
It's a pretty standard thing to do this.

I've rarely bought things from outside Europe since the 2000's because of the cost of postage.
I mostly buy things off DIY level folks and have never spent more than 300 Euro in one go.
and not remotely close to that from the USA or anywhere else outside Europe.

BUT since 1993 I've gotten at least 500 packages of records and books etc. by post
and I NEVER had to pay any customs / duty / tax costs.
I ordered things from outside Europe well over 100 times back in the day but probably
never spent 100 Euro on one package.

before Bush went crazy in Iraq in 2003, postage was a lot cheaper from the USA.

EDIT:
Less then ten times I've had packages opened by customs - with no problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

new 'lost' Alan Vega' record from the mid 90s... on hipster outlet Sacred Bones. One track is a pretty stingy preview.

Background info [So, not one for the reissue thread]:

'Mutator was recorded alongside Vega’s longtime collaborator Liz Lamere at his NYC studio from 1995-1996, and it serves as a document of a particularly fertile time in his creative life. He had 11 full-length solo albums come out during the ‘80s, ’90s and ‘00s — plus numerous collaborations, and Suicide records A Way of Life and Why Be Blue. Mutator wasn’t shelved intentionally, but Vega’s back-to-the-grindstone M.O. meant that he had moved on to making his next record before this one was finished. Lamere and Vega’s friend and confidante Jared Artaud (The Vacant Lots) rediscovered the raw, unmixed recordings from the Mutator sessions in the Vault in 2019. Soon after, they mixed and produced them into the visionary album that was lurking within those tapes. '

Liking this after lamping it on Bill Meyer's Instagram page.

Hypnotic, restrained sort of indie band stuff [REPEAT: AN ACTUAL BAND NOT ABSTRACT INSTRUMENTATION OR NOODLY AMBIENT MULCH] which sort of recalls girl-fronted post-punk bands. Spindly guitars, occasionally clanging. Some ethereal moments that also evokes a sort of fey 80s indie vibe. From Glasgow, released on an interesting looking American label.

A brace of guitar duo records - one acoustic and one electric [Nice artwork for both]:

Holy shit, this is some pungent fingerpicking action. Obvious reference point is Nathan Salzburg. Only two tracks previewed, but scorching stuff.

Oren Ambarchi and Loren Connors electric guitar. Feels very Loren Connors on first listen. One twelve minute track previewed of three.

New St. Vincent album due in.... May I think.

First single out. Its got a prince vibe. St. Princent.

New St. Vincent album due in.... May I think.

First single out. Its got a prince vibe. St. Princent.

I guess there's only so much more millage she can get out of ripping off laurie anderson

I'd say it sounds as much like Prince as her previous stuff sounds like Laurie Anderson, yes.

More retro style funky soul instrumentals from the daptone label

Last edited:
ha... was just about to post the arab strap too

new albums from arab strap, mogwai, and godspeed, all in the space of a couple of months. great 1998 we’re having here

and here’s another new thing that is actually of a similar vintage

'Distortion Hue' - Byron Westbrook.

MUST HEAR if you are interested in intense drone. Dynamic. Check out that track 'Electric Blued.'

Vinyl all sold out. Shame - the artwork is a beauty.

From the blurb:

"With a nod to rock minimalism as well as to his mentor Phill Niblock’s sonic material approach, Distortion Hue is heavy in weight; a complex and layered deep listening experience."

No fapping about there with the blurb - it sort of is all those things.

Good man Phill Niblock. Sign up some more mentees there quick. Stoked, man.

This is great

Sorry folks, but I'm going to gate crash this thread and put up a link to my own ep. I may be violating numerous parts of the trades description by describing it as an album that's worth listening to. However, it was recorded in 2021 so that part's true.

Also, here's the spotify presave link:

Fierce Shook Altogether by Fierce Shook

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back