2021 albums worth a listen.... (3 Viewers)

I spent a couple of hours going through all the new releases in the Metal and Hard Rock sections of AppleMusic the other night. Came out with a list of 4 bands that were sort of ok. Miserable, Injector, Terror and Darkness (not The Darkness).

Things I learnt.
- Most albums start with a 1.5 minute atmosphere piece.
- Most of it uses drum machine
- Death/Grind/Black Metal is still massive.
- Vocalists either guttural growling or that puking up style
- in the Hard Rock section that yee haw twang is still popular

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Strictly speaking last year,but dec 28th doesnt give it much time

I spent a couple of hours going through all the new releases in the Metal and Hard Rock sections of AppleMusic the other night. Came out with a list of 4 bands that were sort of ok. Miserable, Injector, Terror and Darkness (not The Darkness).

Things I learnt.
Modern metal production is awful,and the need to be heavy more than anything else is really dull

Things I learnt.
I'd say the best stuff in nearly any music genre of isn't on AppleMusic ?

some prolific labels that are good at releasing raw old school genres of underground metal:

Iron Bonehead
Hell's Headbangers
Nuclear War Now

Iron Bonehead sells records from all over the world and is not racist despite the name.

New live solo alto saxophone from Chris Pitsiokos. Selling it for a quid - one to remember on bandcamp day.

Modern metal production is awful,and the need to be heavy more than anything else is really dull
I can not fucking abide modern metal production. And the amount of it I hear by accident on the internet is super annoying. Its all the same old boring shit

I was never a super duper metal fan anyway except for Slayer and Municipal Waste and all that good stuff

Most metal production is just too polished now. Everything can be perfected with Pro tools & modern recording technology, sound replacement, all sorts going on. But I'm sure people were saying the same thing about the records done in morrisound in the late 80s.

Here's a cool comp of early 80s tracks from a fellow called KS Eden who seems to have been part of the Manchester scene at the time- pretty cool guitar and synth ramblings, very pleasant altogether. And it's released on STROOM which is pretty much buy on sight these days imoetc.

Most metal production is just too polished now. Everything can be perfected with Pro tools & modern recording technology, sound replacement, all sorts going on. But I'm sure people were saying the same thing about the records done in morrisound in the late 80s.
I do remember a good few people in the late 80s saying how Justice For All ruined metal production for a few years. Everything ended up sounding really tinny and songs went on for way too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back