2021 albums worth a listen.... (1 Viewer)

nuke terrorist

Supporter
There was great scene in Glasgow in the late 80's and early 90's but I only caught on to it in the late 2000's when I kept hearing about the STRETCHHEADS from friends.
The DAWSON stuff is cheap to pick up but Stretchheads early material is hard to find.
They both did really original stuff that should have been more influential.

Lili Marlene

He don't like his boring job, no
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Dry Cleaning, Black Midi, Black Country, fucking hell how is this 30 years too late rip off music still being made? HARD PASS.

Some Irish chancers made this, i dunno, dream pop (?) song though, pretty good:

Nate Champion

Black Midi are over-rich underfeeding, British prog tradition with Ian Williams/Don Cab. Just feel too old for this gnarly young person music! His vocals are yeah, too fine a biscuit for my tea.

Do like Black Country though. Although I don't need to read any more interviews with them. File Kurt Vonnegut with Bill Murray and Werner Herzog under 'please don't mention these things to me ever again.'

Lili Marlene

He don't like his boring job, no
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
I've kind of come full circle with Kurt Vonnegut (and Lester Bangs, and maybe even Hunter S. Thompson!) and might try and actually read more of his stuff.

Nate Champion

I've kind of come full circle with Kurt Vonnegut (and Lester Bangs, and maybe even Hunter S. Thompson!) and might try and actually read more of his stuff.
First one I read of his was my favourite - Timequake. After that when I read him, felt a case of law of diminishing returns...He's grand. But grand just don't cut it in the high stakes game of Late Capitalist po-mo fiction. He's closest in style and humour to Richard Brautigan, I suppose. Brautigan's If the Wind Don't Blow it All Away, what a gem.

Never read any Thompson... On the Campaign Trail, may get to it this summer.

All we want from Bangs is getting beaten up by Lou Reed, and Philip Seymour Hoffman in Almost Famous. Surely.

Anyway, back on topic.

'How to Pray in Times of National Crisis' - Tniz Ren Ray. This is just out. Reflective lo-fi guitar stuff with occasional singing, audio hum and tape trickery. Loving in particular the tracks '23 & I Guess Me' and 'Stale Bread.' Both are keepers. Last track is a nice humming drone piece that reminds me of the Japanese drone artist Reizen. Pleasant.

This is on the same label. Bought this a while back. It's delicious, inchoate bedroom diy stuff. It's pre-bedroom actually; think he set it all up on the landing. Would be interesting to hear these tracks with vocals but it seems like a real boiled down, pure abstract exploration of the bedroom, one-man band thing.

Especially like the Audrey Horne vibe of 'The Window.' Shot of her shoes entering the shot camera panning backwards...ready-made cherry coming out of her suggestive lips. Playful.

hydromancer

A new fyrnask which I think they planned to release last year with a small tour but cancelled the whole thing and on a similar note I'll give a listen to Panopticon.

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
I'd to drive a bit today so got time to listen to this end to end.

Class as usual - standouts immediately are Iron bars (though he was doing that live for a while), pilates, racist butt. It's a terrrifying number of tracks to look at but it plays out really well.

dunderhead

listened to this this morning. big bang of talking heads and lcd soundsystem to it. liked it, must have another listen. Not sure if it's one that has staying power yet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

We're listening to...

• Womb Sounds To Make Baby Sleep Faster
    Womb Sound With Slow Heartbeat and Slow Pulse (Deep Sleep)
    Womb Sound
    Womb Sounds To Make Baby Sleep Faster

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads