2021 albums worth a listen.... (2 Viewers)

finally gave a proper listen to the black country new road album

it’s properly weirdo great! new fave band! omg!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Been waiting for someone to post this. Fits in with the whole British 90s post-rock vibe of stuff like Long Fin Killie imo - poppy but ambitious, eccentric, oft-kilter. All the Slint comparisons are daft. There's a psycho Jarvis Cocker vibe to some of their eh, narrative.

It's only April, but think this will the track of the year:

Proving difficult to get the vinyl though, so if anyone sees any regular black vinyl copies going, stick the link in here.

Long fin killie is a band i have not heard mention of in years
Totally overlooked in the pantheon of mid-90s eccentric British indie rock bands, who were contextually lumped in with the whole post-rock moment... before Godspeed, Mogwai hijacked the term.

Maybe they'll have a mini revival in the way someone like Disco Inferno got the redux reissue business.

Post-Long Fin Killie act Bows were extremely boring though.

I dont really remember how they sound,but i saw then with, i believe ,Dawson. So i seem to have bands like that in mind when i think of them

Yeah, that's the type of band they are synonymous with... probably toured a heap of times together... and both Scottish. Dawson were very mathy from what I remember.

just went looking for some polaris and found this, I haven’t listened to it in years.

I remember being pretty spellbound by the last track in particular, still sounds great. take a listen, kids.

Im sure i saw ganger too. Again dont really remember how they sound though

Id be more familiar with the leeds bands like polaris etc. I was going over to leeds/bradford a lot then

just went looking for some polaris and found this, I haven’t listened to it in years.

I remember being pretty spellbound by the last track in particular, still sounds great. take a listen, kids.

Class band... one of many with Neil Turpin on drums that don't get their due...

Didn't have that one, but punted for this one at one of the Quack Quack shows around 2005/2006.

Closing track, Without an Out, has a real Bark Psychosis vibe but in a more heavy, bluesy emo manner.
Id be more familiar with the leeds bands like polaris etc. I was going over to leeds/bradford a lot then

Don't know Ganger. Must check.

I'm hoping to move to Bradford permanently. Whenever it falls together. Favourite city ever. Up around Shipley too. To end my days in Shipley, fags in the park, etc.

Been waiting for someone to post this. Fits in with the whole British 90s post-rock vibe of stuff like Long Fin Killie imo - poppy but ambitious, eccentric, oft-kilter. All the Slint comparisons are daft. There's a psycho Jarvis Cocker vibe to some of their eh, narrative.

It's only April, but think this will the track of the year:

their whole visual thing of deliberately using stock photos and video is... pretty bizarre. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.

their whole visual thing of deliberately using stock photos and video is... pretty bizarre. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.

it's weird alright, but feels like a classic po-mo move that fits in with their aesthetic or counters the authobiographical content, acting as a deliberately ironic contrast to the seemingly highly personal lyrics. Which I'm still not sure about - the lyrics, that is. The music is very refreshing though. I don't like Black Midi or those other boys from that scene AT ALL. I think I'm just too old for it.

it's weird alright, but feels like a classic po-mo move that fits in with their aesthetic or counters the authobiographical content, acting as a deliberately ironic contrast to the seemingly highly personal lyrics. Which I'm still not sure about - the lyrics, that is. The music is very refreshing though. I don't like Black Midi or those other boys from that scene AT ALL. I think I'm just too old for it.
yeah I was sort of reading it as something like that too. still a pretty radically conceptual thing to do, especially the thing of just telling you that it’s a stock photo. it sort of reminded me of the cover of aphex’s syro, which is just a list of the expenses for making the album.

and yeah I really tried to give black midi a proper go but I could not get past the singing style. like I’m sure they’re sound and having great fun and all but your man’s voice is kind of a head-wreck.

Class band... one of many with Neil Turpin on drums that don't get their due...

Didn't have that one, but punted for this one at one of the Quack Quack shows around 2005/2006.

Closing track, Without an Out, has a real Bark Psychosis vibe but in a more heavy, bluesy emo manner.

Don't know Ganger. Must check.

I'm hoping to move to Bradford permanently. Whenever it falls together. Favourite city ever. Up around Shipley too. To end my days in Shipley, fags in the park, etc.
A good friend of mine lives in Shipley. Lovely place
Funny enough he was in baby harp seal ,who Neil turpin was in and they did a split with polaris

Wax Trax exists again and new Naked Raygun is on the cards

The Emerald Isle. Its a new Vinyl Williams side project. It basically sounds like his other stuff with another singer. It has an Ariel Pink vibe...before he got cancelled.

I like it, but I can see how it would really annoy some people.

I like this track a lot. been combining it with watching the live-stream of the icelandic volcano

Just finished listening there.

It's knottier and mathsier, and less emo than the second album.

Big June of 44 vibes - Fred Erskine style bass on the closing track. Third track 'Sahiba Boutique' is basically a 'Tropics & Meridian' facsimile - no bad thing at all, those taut, spindly structures and acheful screeches entwined with talking vocals.

Top comment on yt says:

'It was always the drummer that I found the most impressive. Insane timing, fills and kick drums action. Great album.' So, Neil Turpin... he really is a cult concern.

I found Dawson's final album, Terminal Island.

Knotty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back