2021 albums worth a listen.... (3 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry folks, but I'm going to gate crash this thread and put up a link to my own ep. I may be violating numerous parts of the trades description by describing it as an album that's worth listening to. However, it was recorded in 2021 so that part's true.

Also, here's the spotify presave link:

Fierce Shook Altogether by Fierce Shook

10/10 for the band name.
unfortunately people here in Tipperary don't use the word ''shook''.
so when I explain the term I usually say -
'' After Kim Jung Il had the stroke he was fierce shook looking altogether''.

10/10 for the band name.
unfortunately people here in Tipperary don't use the word ''shook''.
so when I explain the term I usually say -
'' After Kim Jung Il had the stroke he was fierce shook looking altogether''.
If I want to explain it to people who are into indie music I say "Have you seen Thurston Moore lately? He's gone fierce shook looking."

The new album by The Anchoress is very impressive. Think the darker side of PJ Harvey or Aldous Harding.

This song has yer man from the manics on it

I find her stuff woeful tbh. She seems very nice but it's just the sound of 1998 indie, back and as boring as ever. May as well be listening to the Unbelievable Truth or Embrace.

1998 indie was amazing
Ah it wasn't really. I remember the Verve were absolutely massive at the time and a lot of indie music at the time was that horrible middle of the road bollocks. Maybe there was way better stuff at the time that I just missed out on.

Ah it wasn't really. I remember the Verve were absolutely massive at the time and a lot of indie music at the time was that horrible middle of the road bollocks. Maybe there was way better stuff at the time that I just missed out on.
well the charlatans were at their peak, and their arguably my favourite band ever, so...

and maybe blur.

but yeah, I might have a rose-tinted view on it. Those Shine compilations were great all the same.

for me the final nail in the coffin for the term 'indie' was Britpop.
major owned labels like Hut that were independently distributed were the penultimate
step and from the mid 90's indie generally just meant lads playing guitar pop rock.

the term had been misused for a long time and by 30 years ago it was generally used to describe
JAMC, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Wedding Present, MBV etc.
a few years later even Keane qualified as 'indie', rendering the word worthless.

bought this a month or 2 ago but only giving it proper attention tonight with a couple of cans of Beamish. Expected this to be good but am surprisingly blown away, especially by the second side. Recorded live at Le Guess Who but sounds really good. Expected crowd noise etc but really clean live recording, which was a great surprise. 2 long jams with plenty of twists and turns. Like I said, the second one is especially great. has a Manuel Gottsching sound to it

bought this a month or 2 ago but only giving it proper attention tonight with a couple of cans of Beamish. Expected this to be good but am surprisingly blown away, especially by the second side. Recorded live at Le Guess Who but sounds really good. Expected crowd noise etc but really clean live recording, which was a great surprise. 2 long jams with plenty of twists and turns. Like I said, the second one is especially great. has a Manuel Gottsching sound to it

yo, Walker is knocking out the duos albums at the minute... he just released a live album with David Grubbs [although I can't find it, but I am shit at the internet], and he's got a record coming out with Marisa Anderson in August [according to Thrill Jockey's ig account].

Edit, there's a snippet of the Grubbs one:

Meant to check out the Grubbs one with Taku Unami from last year. They were deadly live when I saw them.

Last edited:
yo, Walker is knocking out the duos albums at the minute... he just did an album with David Grubbs [although I can't find it, but I am shit at the internet], and he's got a record coming out with Marisa Anderson in August [according to Thrill Jockey's ig account].
didn't know he has done one with DG. cool. he seems to be knocking out a lot of releases. Was a bit of a disaster with regards to bad habits supposedly but I'm pretty sure he's sober now and seems to be reaping the benefits with regards to output. looking forward to delving in to more of his recent stuff. Hadn't listened to him since a pretty underwhelming record about 3 years ago

didn't know he has done one with DG. cool. he seems to be knocking out a lot of releases. Was a bit of a disaster with regards to bad habits supposedly but I'm pretty sure he's sober now and seems to be reaping the benefits with regards to output. looking forward to delving in to more of his recent stuff. Hadn't listened to him since a pretty underwhelming record about 3 years ago

Must check out more of his stuff myself... that album with Anderson will be one to keep the peepers out for for fans of fingerlickin' American Primitivism and the Takoma school...

What do you make of the prolific guitar maestro Chris Forsyth? Cool if you like that jam band boogie woogie take on Americana...winning guitar tone.

Here's one that may have made the 2019 albums you needed to hear:

Edit: Shares a drummer with Walker, I think - Ryan Jewell, and maybe some other frequent players.

Must check out more of his stuff myself... that album with Anderson will be one to keep the peepers out for for fans of fingerlickin' American Primitivism and the Takoma school...

What do you make of the prolific guitar maestro Chris Forsyth? Cool if you like that jam band boogie woogie take on Americana...winning guitar tone.

Here's one that may have made the 2019 albums you needed to hear:

Edit: Shares a drummer with Walker, I think - Ryan Jewell, and maybe some other frequent players.

unfamiliar with Forsyth to be honest aside from hearing/reading the name here and there. Will give that a listen over the weekend and report back.

Wasn't aware R Walker was doing an album with Marissa Anderson, love her stuff. Sounds like a perfect match on paper

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back