2020 Music In Lists (1 Viewer)

WAP at No. 1 :)

2020, what a vintage year.
I know. I don't have particularly strong feelings about how good or bad WAP is because it is absolutely a novelty song and choosing it as song of the year is going to look pretty hilarious in about 6 months time.

What is the story with the Taylor Swift album?
I had a look at the steve hoffman form, there must be 60+ pages of a thread all saying how great it is, wondering which pressing to buy, what the mastering is like? ect..I'm baffled. Most of these guys are the wrong side of 40, supposedly serious music fans & they are wetting themselves over it. I had a listen to the 30 second samples, it's okay. Lockdown has warped their minds.
Am I just being a music snob?

Last edited:
I don't like it. I think her melodies always sound like something people write for actual children on a cheap cartoon, and covering them with the National sadboy haunted forest production doesn't change this.

But people have always loved her stuff since day 1 for her songwriting so it's no surprise that people love a "stripped back" album by her.

Of course, I like lots of the girl group stuff from the 60s and you could accuse those melodies of being banal and for children as well so IDK

Most modern pop songs usually have 5 - 8 different writers credited.
I remember reading a piece about a beyonce album which 70+ different people credited.
included samples used ect...

Beyonce always gets a writing credit.....if you value your knee caps.

Last edited:
Most modern pop songs usually have 5 - 8 different writers credited.
I remember reading a piece about a beyonce album which 70+ different people credited.
Someone like Beyonce or Kanye treat it like designing a piece of technology, they are the CEO of the company and they hire the right people in to realize their vision, experts in very specific parts of songs... and there's so much money involved at the top that everyone ensures they are included.

I mean, it's not that different to Motown or Brill Building or whatever, except this time when a Bo Diddley invents a beat, or a James Jamerson plays a hook, he makes sure he gets paid for it.

Swift is in her 30s as well. Frankly her style is recognizable and consistent regardless of who she is working with. I can't stand it but that's just me.

Oh I mostly have blanked her existence. Antonoff seems to be a on a few records- My point would be more that lots of men in thier 40s probably like it because lots of men in (well 30's) are involved in writing it.

Also he's not credited on tears ricochet but is happy to lay claim...

I thought that Malkmus album came out last year, but it was March a couple of weeks before lockdown. Which figures.

Why? I don't get that bit

Writers are panderers. If you are writing and the fence you've to get the material over is a bunch of 30-40 year old men, if they are the filtration system, then that is what will happen, you'll end up making music for them. As Andy from Therapy? said, the most important audience is the band, if they don't buy it, you are fucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back