2020-21 Football thread (2 Viewers)

Txetxu Rojo (1947 - 23 December 2022)
Athletic Bilbao legend who later managed the club twice in a long coaching career.
As a one club player Rojo earned 18 caps, won two Cups and was runner up in 1977 UEFA Cup to Juve.
Txetxu's younger brother Jose Angel (aka Rojo II) was a team mate at the San Mames and also once for Spain.

below has tribute video link:
I also have to say I love Basque spelling esp the ''tx'' instead of ''ch''.

for the sake completeness, these four lads I never heard of sound like they were pretty handy:

Rodolfo Micheli (1930 - 28 December 2022)
Won 13 caps (10 goals) and was top scorer in 1955 Copa America which his Argentina side won.

Jair Bala (1943 - 27 December 2022)
Brazilian winger was accidentally shot early in his career (thus ''Bala'' means bullet) and crossed paths w/ many greats inc playing for Santos with Pele.

Andrzej Iwan (1959 -27 November 2022)
Four time Polish league champion and player of the year in 1987. Iwan played in 1982 World Cup and was a squad member in Argentina 1978 aged 18 (29 caps/11 goals).
Iwan's autobiography detailed his problems off the pitch - including addiction problems and four suicide attempts.

Spain 1-2 Poland 1980. Iwan scored both goals at the old Estadio Sarria in Polska's only victory over Spain.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sergey Dmitriyev (1964 - 26 December 2022)
Striker who won Soviet league twice w/ CSKA and in Russia in 1997 with Spartak.
Dimitriyev won 6 caps for the CCCP in an injury hit career.

Frank McGarvey (1956 - 1 January 2023)
Former Scotland striker had pancreatic cancer.
McGarvey's pro career began when Alex Ferguson signed him for St. Mirren in 1975.
He became the star player in Fergie's and up coming side which put the club on the map.
In 1979 he signed for Liverpool but in 10 months at Anfield he never played for the first team.
McGarvey then spent 5 years at Celtic winning the league twice and two cups. Partnering the likes of Charlie Nicholas, George McCluskey, Brian McClair and Mo Johnston, he scored 100 SPL goals for Celtic.
Frank's memorable last goal for Celtic was the winner in the 1985 Scottish Cup Final against Dundee Utd.
He then returned to St Mirren and won another Scottish Cup Final against DUFC in 1987 playing along side youngsters Ian Ferguson and Paul Lambert.
Frank won 7 caps. Scotland having many top players at the time - especially up front.

Saw Marc-Vivien Foe's name trending on google and unfortunately Cameroun has suffered a sudden death of one of Foe's national teammates...

Modeste M'bami ( 9 October 1982 - 7 January 2023)
As a central defender 17 year old M'bami played in Cameroun's run to Olympic gold in 2000 inc. scoring a golden gold v Brazil. He went to two AFCON tournaments w/ Cameroun and won 37 caps (3 goals).

At club level he won two French Cups in a spell with PSG (2003 -2006) before spending another three years with Marseille. After leaving Almeria in 2011 M'bami became a football nomad inc. playing in China, Saudi and in Bogota with Millonarios. His last club was Le Havre in 2016.

Apparently M'bami was offered the Cameroun manager's job in 2019 but declined.
Modeste died of a heart attack aged 40.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see a considerable amount of premature deaths of obscure footballers (never mentioned here) on wiki.
As well as illness, accidents (road accidents seem to be more common elsewhere) and suicide, being a footballer won't stop you getting shot either.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I forgot to mention Ernesto 'Tino' Castano (1939 - 5 January 2023) who was remembered at Juve last night along with Vialli and Pele.
Castano was a central defender with Juve from 1958 to 1970. After two early Scudetto wins with Juve (1959-60, 1960-61 (the double)) the 60's were mostly dominated by the Milano clubs. But Castano won Serie A for a third time beating the Grande Inter side to the Scudetto in 1967 and also 3 Coppas during his career.
Castano won 7 caps. His only tournament was being selected for the winning Euro 68 squad.
He was also instrumental in setting up the Italian player's union the AIC in 1968.

in 1992 Barcelona SC (Quayaquil) lost the semi final of the Copa Libertadores (3-2 on agg) to Sao Paulo who went on to take the trophy after beating Marcelo Bielsa's Newell's Old Boys on pens in the Final.
Sao Paulo later beat the European champs FC Barcelona in the Tokyo match to become 'world champs'

considering Barcelona SC's badge is nearly the same as FC Barcelona, Barcelona v Barcelona would have been great fun.
but.... I just found the opening match of their new stadium in Quayaquil in 1987 was just that -
Barcelona SC v FC Barcelona.

added bonus -
Pele and Sly Stallone at the 1980 NASL Soccer Bowl at RFK Stadium taking about Escape To Victory

mostly Stallone talking absolute shite.

Another big football death in Brazil...

Roberto Dinamite (1954 - 8 January 2023)
Vasco Da Gama's greatest player and one the highest goalscorers in Brazilian domestic football.
A contemporary of crosstown Rio rival Zico, Roberto Dinamite spent over 20 years playing at Vasco (1971-92) only punctuated by a three month spell at FC Barcelona in 1980 (only 11 games in total / 3 goals).

An international from 1975-84, Roberto scored 20 goals in 38 caps. This included 3 in 5 games in the 1978 World Cup. He was also in the Espana 1982 squad (replacing an injured Careca) but didn't play.

Roberto owed his 'Dinamite' name to a headline about him which stuck.
He later had a lengthy political career as a centrist state deputy in Rio. Roberto was elected Vasco club president twice (2008 and 2011).
He died of intestinal cancer aged 68.

all 20 of Roberto Dinamite's goals for Brasil:

three guys I didn't now who died in recent days:

Ferenc Meszaros (1950 - 9 January 2023)
Hungarian goalkeeper who won 29 caps and played once in Argentina 1978 and in all three matches in Espana 82.
Meszaros won one league title and two cups w/ Vasas in Budapest before joining Sporting Lisbon (1981-83) and winning the double in 1981-82 under Malcolm Allison.

Pierre Dorsini (1934 -10 January 2023)
Played for Nancy before spending a decade at Toulouse (1957-67) where he scored 104 goals in 324 league games.

Gaudenzio Bernasconi (1932 - 10 January 2023)
Another Sampdoria legend gone...
Centre half Bernasconi was a Bergamo lad who started with Atalanta before spending eleven years at Sampdoria from 1954. He played 334 Serie A matches for Samp - a club record until it was passed by Mancini in the 90's.
Bernasconi won 6 caps for Italy between 1956-59.

really good weekend in the big leagues.

The Arse are in a great position now. they still have to play Man City twice (plus in the Cup as well).

Napoli are a brilliant team. they destroyed Juve on friday night and I wouldn't rule them out for the Champs League either.
NAPOLI 5-1 JUVENTUS (@ The Maradona!)

fuck Seven Seas and their stupid long adverts.

Barca were playing Real tonight for the Supercopa in Saudi. so feck that.
we seriously need to fans chanting anti Saudi and anti Qatar stuff at every opportunity.

some other football from weekend:

ATALANTA v SALERNITANA (10 goals)
Stadio Gewiss always makes me laugh. Gewiss sponsored an infamous 90's doped up cycling team.

SOCIEDAD V BILBAO derby.

some other football from weekend:

ATALANTA v SALERNITANA (10 goals)
Stadio Gewiss always makes me laugh. Gewiss sponsored an infamous 90's doped up cycling team.

SOCIEDAD V BILBAO derby.

LOL Ochoa just had like the unluckiest first half in goalkeeping history there!

really good weekend in the big leagues.

The Arse are in a great position now. they still have to play Man City twice (plus in the Cup as well).

Napoli are a brilliant team. they destroyed Juve on friday night and I wouldn't rule them out for the Champs League either.
NAPOLI 5-1 JUVENTUS (@ The Maradona!)

fuck Seven Seas and their stupid long adverts.

Barca were playing Real tonight for the Supercopa in Saudi. so feck that.
we seriously need to fans chanting anti Saudi and anti Qatar stuff at every opportunity.

That Napoli team have been amazing this season, I fuckin love them. They will surely take Serie A, and it would be fucking amazing if they could do the Champions League as well. Their taking apart of Liverpool in the first group match was amazin.

That Napoli team have been amazing this season, I fuckin love them. They will surely take Serie A, and it would be fucking amazing if they could do the Champions League as well. Their taking apart of Liverpool in the first group match was amazin.
Napoli 9 points ahead now. must watch them more often. they should have scored at least 7 against Liverpool at The Maradona (love saying that).

I feel Ochoa's frustration alright.

Napoli have been knocked out of the Coppa at The Maradona by bottom of Serie A Cremonese.
after a 2-2 draw Cremonese won on pens. Cremona only had two shots on target in 120 mins.
I only watched the shootout - Lobotka was the only player not to convert.
weird - hopefully it just was bad night at the office.

was waiting for a highlights link but can't find anything so far.

Napoli have been knocked out of the Coppa at The Maradona by bottom of Serie A Cremonese.
after a 2-2 draw Cremonese won on pens. Cremona only had two shots on target in 120 mins.
I only watched the shootout - Lobotka was the only player not to convert.
weird - hopefully it just was bad night at the office.

was waiting for a highlights link but can't find anything so far.
Shit happens, I doubt they'll give a fuck as long as they win the league.

Trossard to Arsenal then.

Good player, makes a lot of sense. Coming from a technical, very coached team to another one.

Not very exciting transfer compared to the Mudryk one that Chelsea hijacked but there's a good chance in 22/23 that he's a better fit for trying to win a title this season regardless of how good Mudryk ends up.

Acted the prick at Brighton of late.

tonight Juventus have been deducted 15 Serie A points for fiddling their accounts.
Juve have an awful record with this kind of stuff - so you never know, they could be cleared on appeal!
A lot of other (mostly lower division) clubs were investigated and all the others were cleared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back