2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

Mick Meagan (1934 - 27 November 2022)
League winner w/ Everton in 1962-63 who won 17 caps.
Mick was Ireland manager from 1969-71 but Ireland suffered a long winless streak at the time.
Numerous FAI disasters (e.g. playing on Saturday afternoons) meant key players weren't released or had to arrive and go back to England on the day of matches and Meagan often had to call up LOI players (and Eamon Dunphy).

Maurice Norman (1934 - 27 November 2022)
Spurs defender/legend who won 1961 double, 1962 FA Cup and 1963 ECWC.
Norman was involved in two England World Cup squads (1958 and playing in Chile 1962) and won 23 caps.

Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva and Ronaldo (b. 76) are in the crowd watching Brazil.
Reassuring to see the legends of my generation are aging not dissimilarly to me. Samba on hombres!
Totally lost interest in the match v Korea before half time.

Barcelona v Steaua Bucharest 1986 stuff.
First penalty shootout I ever saw.
First 4 pens where missed. Some desperate efforts by Barca lads.
Steaua won 2-0. Helmut Duckadam saved all 4. He got ill shortly after and never played again.
The Barca keeper later died in car crash.

Bundesliga megastar of the 80's Cha Bum Kun is in the crowd too. Doesn't look 70.

this came up in my youtube suggestions.
A tribute to Jinky Johnstone night when he was suffering w/ motor neuron disease.
several other Lisbon Lions present including a few who have passed away in recent years.
Bertie Auld storytelling steals the show - ''FUCKIN' CUNT''.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Morocco 3-1 Portugal 1986 World Cup Group F.

Morocco drew their first two matches in Group F 0-0 w/ both Poland and England respectively.
the first half of the England match saw Ray Wilkins harshly sent off for throwing ball at the ref. this shortly after Bryan Robson's tournament had ended with a dislocated shoulder.

Portugal playing in only their second World Cup beat England 1-0 w/ a goal by Carlos Manuel before losing 1-0 to Poland. Portugal were in the middle of farcical self inflicted mess known as the Saltillo Affair but a draw would send both sides through.
England who hadn't scored a goal yet had to beat Poland and Lineker duly made a name for himself.
awesome commentary here!

Morocco became the first African team to get out of their group but got West Germany fresh from the group of death in the last 16. It wasn't the most exciting match. With minutes left Lothar Matthaus squeezed in a free kick for a 1-0 win.
Morocco had gone into the tournament with only 5 pros in the squad, The outstanding player was goalkeeper Zaki who earned a contract with Mallorca where he spent 6 years and is still considered a club great. He was also named 1986 African footballer of the year.
A few years later Morocco played in Dublin and I was really disappointed Zaki was injured and couldn't make the trip.

undoubtedly the 1986 Mexico World Cup was the most influential mass media event in my childhood.

R.I.P. Fernando Gomes the Portugal captain that day who died recently. He was probably the most important player in the history of FC Porto.

Kevin Kilbane was on Sky Sports this morning.
A perfect gent as always, he insightfully answered stock questions about upcoming England v France QF, Ronaldo* etc.
The interview ended with the question "Who will win the World Cup?"
Kilbane: "France"

Legend.

*Surely all Portuguese football talk today should be about Goncalo Ramos?

George Cohen (1939 -22 November 2022)
Fulham & England right back.
Cohen spent his entire career at Fulham (459 games) before retiring due to injury aged 29.
He was a quick player with an eye on going forward.
Cohen took over as England right back in 1964 after Jimmy Armfield suffered a bad injury. Cohen played in all England's matches during their 1966 World Cup victory. He earned 37 caps between 1964-67.

Fulham supporters are intensely proud of George's part in the 1966 Final -
''Gentleman George Cohen - the only west Londoner that ever won the World Cup''
is the ultimate Chelsea diss.
A statue of Cohen was unveiled at Craven Cottage in 2016.
Famously George's nephew Ben also was won a world cup in rugby.

Only Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton (who has dementia) are still alive from the 1966 eleven. Along w/ squad members Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and George Eastham.

This is sad news; I had no idea he had any health problems but I've just read George had cancer in the 1970s.

George Cohen (1939 -22 November 2022)
Fulham & England right back.
Cohen spent his entire career at Fulham (459 games) before retiring due to injury aged 29.
He was a quick player with an eye on going forward.
Cohen took over as England right back in 1964 after Jimmy Armfield suffered a bad injury. Cohen played in all England's matches during their 1966 World Cup victory. He earned 37 caps between 1964-67.

Fulham supporters are intensely proud of George's part in the 1966 Final -
''Gentleman George Cohen - the only west Londoner that ever won the World Cup''
is the ultimate Chelsea diss.
A statue of Cohen was unveiled at Craven Cottage in 2016.
Famously George's nephew Ben also was won a world cup in rugby.

Only Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton (who has dementia) are still alive from the 1966 eleven. Along w/ squad members Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and George Eastham.

This is sad news; I had no idea he had any health problems but I've just read George had cancer in the 1970s.
sincere apologies - How I listed someone who died on 23/12 as dying on "22 November'' even I can't explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back