2020-21 Football thread (2 Viewers)

There was an update on the Dalymount redevelopment plans in July:

Losing Shelbourne as co-tenants and the general rising costs of construction work seem to have forced a rethink, it looks like a reworking of the existing stadium is more likely than a full demolition and rebuild now.
Well, Jesus
If scaled back means more terracing and not an all-seater, that is surely to be welcomed.
Thanks, Richie

There was an update on the Dalymount redevelopment plans in July:

Losing Shelbourne as co-tenants and the general rising costs of construction work seem to have forced a rethink, it looks like a reworking of the existing stadium is more likely than a full demolition and rebuild now.
Thanks for the update Richie. Sorry about that, I stand corrected.

Watching Ireland women in Slovakia now.
But I got started watching it 20 minutes late so I am only 23 uneventful minutes in despite it being HT in real time.

The reason for the delay was mayhem in the last 3 km of the Vuelta and I wasn't sure what the commissars were going to do.

Hey, I thought the Irish ladies team qualified with teh win over Finland?

Why are teh reports saying they need to beat Slovakia?

The women's world cup has some stupid complicated qualifying thing.
Group winners qualify automatically, that's Sweden who were like 2nd in the world a year or two back.
Second placed in the group go into this mental playoff thing with two rounds. Best placed second place teams avoid the first round, that's what Ireland got by winning tonight.
Even after that there's some intercontinental playoff for losers of the second round playoff or some bollocks, the system is all over the shop.

The women's world cup has some stupid complicated qualifying thing.
Group winners qualify automatically, that's Sweden who were like 2nd in the world a year or two back.
Second placed in the group go into this mental playoff thing with two rounds. Best placed second place teams avoid the first round, that's what Ireland got by winning tonight.
Even after that there's some intercontinental playoff for losers of the second round playoff or some bollocks, the system is all over the shop.
Thanks, man

So it's a bit like everyone is Australia in the old World Cup
Like they had to get out of Oceania, beat decent Asian teams and then play the 'worst' South American team which was like fucking Uruguay (i.e. handy AF) or someone
Which is to say, I think I get it.

Piet Schrijvers (1946 - 7 September2022)
Utrecht and Ajax (1974-83) keeper who won 5 Eredivisie titles, two cups and 46 caps for Holland.
Schrijvers was in the 1974 and '78 World Cup squads but didn't play in 1974. He missed the opening three games in 1978 and then after playing West Germany, Austria and Italy, he missed the final through injury.
Jan Jongbloed replaced Schrijvers in both World Cups.
Piet had been suffering with Alzheimers.

Last edited:
Wtf went on at Nice?
- only watched this now.
looks the rest of the stadium was nearly empty before the match but the Koln end was already full.
some Koln fans went down towards the Nice end and some Nice fans headed towards them. a guy with the FC Koln fans (apparently from Paris) fell on to the tier below. I assume that's him getting hit by a firework and then panicking (in the second video).
very rare for nonsense like this to happen in a stadium anyone.
after the CL Final in Paris a lot French people said that match organisation in France was regularly that bad.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jim Ratcliffe who owns the Ineos cycling team also owns Nice football team - so it must be Dave Brailsford's fault.

Luciano Vassllo (1935 - 16 September 2022)
Born to an Italian army officer and an Eritrean woman, Vassallo became one Ethiopia's greatest players.
I didn't know him until now but Vassallo's life was fascinating - very tied in with Ethiopia's history.
Please read this.
That's a very full life right there, nuke

Looks like he lived it with honour

When the communists took over they tried to have him murdered - as he was an "imperialist"
That's how he ended up in Italy

There really is a whole world of stories out there, huh?

“Here’s Italo Vassallo!” Negash introduced the retired star to the EBC camera crew, as if he needed an introduction. Italo, 78, scored the winning goal of that final against Egypt in extra time. Born to an Italian soldier and an Eritrean mother during the Italian military occupation of Ethiopia, he is the half brother of older sibling, Luciano Vassallo, 83. The EBC journalist recognized the former striker and greeted him, congratulating him on the attaining of peace between the two countries. Clearly flattered, Italo grinned perhaps astonished that a reporter from Ethiopia of this day and age could recognize him a half century after he and his friends left their mark on the game.

Thumbs up from Italo Vassallo (center), scorer of the most important goal in Ethiopian football history (Image: EBC)
Despite their contributions to the country’s sporting development, the class of 62 would soon face isolation and rejection. In 1974, a popular uprising brought about the ousting of Emperor Haile Selassie and an end to the country’s imperial monarchy. The elderly king would be detained and eventually murdered in custody. The new Derg government leadership, composed of army officers and self declared communist revolutionaries, didn’t take a liking to the stars of the national team. They deemed them to be imperialists, beneficiaries of the old guard and bourgeoisie of the ousted king. No longer allowed to thrive in the limelight for their heroic achievements, players disappeared into obscurity, some after having their properties and wealth nationalized by the communist regime. In 1978, team captain Luciano Vassallo was nearly killed at the behest of a Derg government official. He subsequently fled to exile in Italy. On the wrong side of the political upheaval, others were reduced to abject poverty.

That's a very full life right there, nuke

Looks like he lived it with honour

When the communists took over they tried to have him murdered - as he was an "imperialist"
That's how he ended up in Italy

There really is a whole world of stories out there, huh?
Brilliant stuff Deadmanposting!
I learned a huge amount there.

Younger bro Italo Vassallo died last year.

Sports bios are often a fun way to learn a country's history.
the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front is five party coalition hence the funny name that always makes me laugh. I didn't realise they were insanely into petty '1984' rewriting.

Initially the Derg were just another military dictatorship but in the late 70's they began to move in a Stalinist direction.

Eritrea has since the 2000s become a power in pro cycling.
In 2022 Beniam Girmay aged 21 won Belgian one day classic Ghent - Wevelgem and a stage of the Giro d'Italia - both firsts for a black rider.

Bruno Bolchi (1940 - 27 September 2022)
Midfielder who won the Scudetto with Inter in 1963 and Coppa Italia with Torino in 1968 plus four caps.
From the early 70s to 2007 Bolchi was a manager with numerous clubs and he won promotion to Serie A four times, including taking Bari from Serie C to Serie A in two seasons in the 80s.
As Inter captain in 1961 Bolchi was the first sticker in the first collection Panini ever made.

Sesko's goal vs Swdan this week ...

19 years old.

6'5''

''MARCO VAN BASTEN WHERE ARE YOU NOW?!!"
awesome goal - didn't realise he was so young. his 4th goal for Slovenia and he's not 20 until next summer.

don't get me started on how Yugoslavia would have smoshed the rest of the world for the last 30 years if the war hadn't happened.

awesome goal - didn't realise he was so young. his 4th goal for Slovenia and he's not 20 until next summer.

don't get me started on how Yugoslavia would have smoshed the rest of the world for the last 30 years if the war hadn't happened.

Apparently lots of big clubs were looking at him in the summer but he's already in the RB pipeline. At Salzberg now and already announced that he'll be at Leipzig next year.

Francois Remetter (8 August 1928 - 2 October 2022)
French goalkeeper who played in 1954 and '58 World Cups.
Since 2017 he was the oldest living player from the 1954 Suisse World Cup.

Jesus del Muro (1937 - 4 October 2022)
Mexican defender who played in 1958, '62 and '66 World Cups winnig 40 caps. Del Muro later had a long career as a coach and manager.

Everybody knows they would have won the World Cup for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back