2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

GettyImages-119505258-20a15e9.jpg

not a great match - neither side were at their best. the time wasting at the end was a 'great example to the kids'.
main thing I will remember was terrible referee. she booked several players for very little and missed some bad fouls.
especially when the 4th official on the day is an ace referee.
not as bad as Howard Webb ruining the 2010 World Cup Final but the worst I've seen for a good while.

the German equaliser was class - England were nearly through on goal and Hendrich won the ball, it didn't enter her head to back pass. she turned went up the right wing, beat a player and made a good pass which led to a goal within in 20 seconds.

crowd were hilarious lots cheering for very little, regular booing the German players, no real singing and really quiet when not much was happening - lots of kids and folks who don't watch football much present.

good tournament on the whole. not sure what this will mean for the future.
people shouldn't expect the WSL to quickly grow hugely, when the stadia they play in are small etc.

DO NOT GO to Downing Street in the next few days or some such shit and ruin their achievement.

if Sabrina W. replaced Southgate they'd win the World Cup.
she was great with subtitutions for start; no bringing young lads on to miss pens on 118 mins with her.

The referee was absolutely atrocious – but hey, she's Ukrainian so put her in charge in solidarity.
was looking forward to you having a field day after Germany equalised!

The England players seem like decent folks but as the RTE crew called it ''The Hype Machine'' are always most of the problem. Why would the media think someone would come out as being gay to them?
they take the good out of everything.

one good thing I saw Sunday though:
afterwards the Sky Sports presenter Jessica Creighton said it brought her to tears as she gave up playing football as a kid as she was getting bullied about it. she said she'd get called 'geezer bird'. the journalist/blogger with her (apologies for forgetting her name) said there was nothing wrong with being such a thing and both women said the team had helped smash established narrow gender roles.

I suppose it's like a band being female being a big deal to some women but to me it seems unremarkable as I have a different life experience.

I suppose it's like a band being female being a big deal to some women but to me it seems unremarkable as I have a different life experience.

I remember reading a piece that Aofe Barry, formerly of this parish, wrote interviewing Amy Klein who was at that point playing guitar for Titus Andronicus. One thing that struck me was that even as a kid who hadn't yet picked up an instrument Ialways had an idea in my head that I could be in a band, but she mentioned that she hadn't felt that way because she didn't see all that many people she could identify with playing in bands.

I remember reading a piece that Aofe Barry, formerly of this parish, wrote interviewing Amy Klein who was at that point playing guitar for Titus Andronicus. One thing that struck me was that even as a kid who hadn't yet picked up an instrument Ialways had an idea in my head that I could be in a band, but she mentioned that she hadn't felt that way because she didn't see all that many people she could identify with playing in bands.
the only footballer from my county Tipperary who ever had a long term successful career w/ Ireland team and playing in England is Shane Long. but I wouldn't make a big deal about it, that is gradually changing.

my local rural soccer club (which is several miles from any town or village) has a great set up for girls and women and gets female players from a wide catchment area.
a large minority of the club's players are women (well over a third) for some years now.

it is extremely common to play camogie in my area. my local GAA club started a camogie branch in the 1970's and a bunch of girls born circa 1974 (several of whom won mulitiple All Irelands) put the camogie club on the map.
most women around here know more about hurling than I do.

lots of other sports played locally too. basically we are sports mad here - we haven't got much else and lots of arm chair sports fans too.

fairly hard to form a band around here though. I'd imagine some women in a city would have a better chance of getting started just due the lack of people here?
but if you want to do something - do it. don't wait for validation.
FWIW isolation isn't given much consideration as a cause of social inequality.

was looking forward to you having a field day after Germany equalised!

The England players seem like decent folks but as the RTE crew called it ''The Hype Machine'' are always most of the problem. Why would the media think someone would come out as being gay to them?
they take the good out of everything.

one good thing I saw Sunday though:
afterwards the Sky Sports presenter Jessica Creighton said it brought her to tears as she gave up playing football as a kid as she was getting bullied about it. she said she'd get called 'geezer bird'. the journalist/blogger with her (apologies for forgetting her name) said there was nothing wrong with being such a thing and both women said the team had helped smash established narrow gender roles.

here's the video of Jessica Creighton on Sky Sports mentioned above. the journalist/blogger is wearing the cap but her response has been clipped.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

as I said a huge amount of women I know played far more sport than I did and there wasn't many soccer clubs around here until the 1990's.
and they were good and I was crap!

John Hughes (1943 - 1 August 2022)
Celtic legend 'Yogi' died after a short illness.
John scored 188 goals for Celtic between 1959-71. He won six League titles among many other trophies. John missed the 1967 European Cup Final due to injury but did play in the 1970 final v Feyenoord.
He won 8 caps (1 goal) for Scotland 1965-69.
After leaving Celtic, John had injury plagued spells at Palace and Sunderland that forced him to retire in 1973.

His brother Billy (1948-2019) also played for Scotland and won the 1973 FA Cup with Sunderland.

Hans Weilbacher (1933 - 1 August 2022)
A one club player with Eintracht Frankfurt (1952-65) who won the West German championship in 1959 (Frankfurt's only League title). Weilbacher played in the 1960 European Cup Final 7-3 defeat to Real Madrid.
Despite being with Frankfurt until 1965 his last league match was in January 1963 and Weilbacher never played in the Bundesliga.
The midfielder's only cap came in 1955 in the world champions 2-1 win over Ireland in Hamburg.

Roberto Gil (1938 - 5 August 2022)
1960's Valencia midfielder Gil won the Fairs/UEFA Cup twice and captained Valencia to the Copa in 1967.
Gil was forced to retire due to injury in late 1970 but he was richly compensated when Valencia won the 1970-71 Liga title under coach Di Stefano
Gil was later a coach inc. two short spells in charge of Valencia.

Ismaila Sarr goal from his own half v WBA tonight

can't imagine why he's still at Watford. way too good for the Championship.

Ismaila Sarr goal from his own half v WBA tonight

can't imagine why he's still at Watford. way too good for the Championship.

Was thinking when I saw that, it's better than the Beckham one. By a million miles.

And this lad is playing championship football as you said. Just goes to show the jump in quality over the years. Most of my heroes from childhood would be seen as cloggers now.

Was thinking when I saw that, it's better than the Beckham one. By a million miles.

And this lad is playing championship football as you said. Just goes to show the jump in quality over the years. Most of my heroes from childhood would be seen as cloggers now.
surely someone will come in for Sarr in the next few weeks? 2 1/2 years ago he got two against Liverpool when Watford ended their unbeaten run.

Roberto Martinez has to take a lot of the credit for the football played in the Championship now. His Swansea team in the late 2000's showed how it should be done.

Alberto Orzan (1931 - 9 August 2022)
After joining from his local club Udinese in 1954, defender Orzan spent 9 years at Fiorentina playing in their greatest era. They won their first Scudetto in 1956 and were runners up four more times in the following years.
Orzan played in the 1957 European Cup Final defeat to Real at the Bernabeu and the inaugural 1961 Cup Winners Cup final victory over Rangers. The Viola also won the Coppa Italia that season.
At international level Orzan won four caps in the late 50's, when Fiorentina sometimes supplied most of the Azzurri team.

Fernando Chalana (1959 - 10 August 2022)
Benfica and Bordeaux left winger who was twice footballer of the year in Portugal.
Chalana played in the epic Euro 84 semi final where France came from behind to beat Portugal 3-2 a.e.t.
He won six championships in Portugal and two in France after Euro 84 but was plagued by injuries at Bordeaux.
Chalana won 27 caps (2 goals) after making his international debut aged 17 in 1976.

Patrick Liney (1936 - 11 August 2022)
Liney was ever present as Dundee goalkeeper when they won their only Scottish League Championship in 1961-62. Alan Gilzean's goals and Bob Shankly's (Bill's brother) management guided them to success.

St Pat's v CSKA Sofia on the RTE News channel right now (they're showing bullshit news for halftime haha)
1-0 CSKA on the night, 1-1 on aggregate. Pat's have got better as the half went on after conceding a terrible goal from a corner, hopefully they can at least take it to penos

St Pat's v CSKA Sofia on the RTE News channel right now (they're showing bullshit news for halftime haha)
1-0 CSKA on the night, 1-1 on aggregate. Pat's have got better as the half went on after conceding a terrible goal from a corner, hopefully they can at least take it to penos
was out walking in the cool of the evening and missed most of this. CSKA Sofia got the winner w/ 8 mins left. CSKA are no great shakes anymore and Bulgarian football is on its knees.
stupid scuffle after full time. some twits threw bottles on the pitch when it was happening.

still a good European campaign by Irish clubs

speaking of small clubs made good -

Ingemar Erlandsson (1957 - 9 August 2022)
Defender Erlandsson won 69 caps (1978-85) captained Sweden and was in their 1978 World Cup squad aged 20.
He won two league titles and four cups with his only club Malmo and played in the 1979 European Cup final defeat to Forest.

Pats were a bit naive in the game, they basically let Sofia get in the ref's ear during the second half and it ultimately cost them. The penalty was a penalty, but the problem is the move leading to it came from a 'free kick' against Pats that was blatant cheating from Sofia, but the ref game them it. Shit reffing, but as the second half progressed Pats weren't challenging CSKA players that were getting in the ref's ear enough. This is basically what led to all the argy bargy at the end, as the second half progressed Pats started reacting to CSKA players and management, instead of challenging the ref over all the cheating that was going on.
Ah well, shite way to go out, CSKA weren't even good on the night after they scored their first, Pats had more chances but their finishing let them down. Shows how important experience and composure are in Europe really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back