2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

I dunno about last night, but I saw the England-Austria match (2 of the better sides outside the top 5 or so) play the other day, and the technical skills were far behind men's football. So many first touches of the ball ending up a yard away from the player. The goal itself came from a poor first touch (albeit from a difficult through pass) that got the keeper to rush out, but for some reason the keeper kind of stopped instead of just going for the smash, otherwise she would probably have saved it before she got lobbed. Harald Schumacher would have been horrified!
yeah, England v Austria was a poor game. the Austrian keeper was at fault for the goal. in that situation it's ask questions later but get to the ball first.

doing a Tardelli in Madrid 40 years ago today:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A year ago today - poor auld England at Wembley.
plus throw in desperately bad match day organisation which was easy to blame on the fans and not UEFA, the police and Wembley being easy to break into and not being fit for purpose as a safe venue to ring fence for major events.

not the best edited video. one thing nobody really remembers is that Sterling should have had a penalty in the 48th minute. he's in a not dissimilar position to where he got the highly dubious penalty against Denmark (at the other end) and he's clearly clipped by Chiellini - karma??

Amazing film here with awesome commentary translations. 'Beppe' is Bergomi. also a tribute to Morricone through his music. keep watching all the celebrations at the end.

compared to the guy in 1982, Italian commentators are a lot more excited now!
Italy v Belgium was some match - football the way it should be played. Chiesa means 'church'.

I also found some notes I made about the match. So FWIW:

- Pickford was good!
- Sterling should have had a pen @ 48 minutes.
- subs being subbed (Henderson) is a joke.
- Southgate used substitutions badly - again; Saka and Grealish made a big difference but Jack came on too late. Sancho and Rashford only came on to take pens and should have been used earlier.
- England's free kicks were terrible. they took too long over them and they kept going backwards.
overall England were far too cautious and didn't believe in themselves. the chief of this was Southgate -
five defenders and two defensive midfielders - are you havin' a laff?

yeah, England v Austria was a poor game. the Austrian keeper was at fault for the goal. in that situation it's ask questions later but get to the ball first.
Saw Iceland vs Belgium yesterday. Fucking bollocks. You'd expect maybe the Belgians would be good, seeing as the Dutch next door to them are one of the best, but they were shite and only got a draw thanks to a dodgy penalty.
Good few moments in this game of the ball getting shanked out of play. Iceland did it once when a player went to cross the ball and hit it straight out for a corner. Then near the end of the match, there was an utterly comical Iceland free kick from about 25 yards, I think it went about 25 yards over the bar too.

England beat Norway 8-0 in the women's Euros.. I'd heard at least 2 pundits on football podcasts talking up Norway as tournament dark horses over the last week, LOL.
England were very good (didn't watch the last 20 mins) but Norway were surprisingly hopeless despite having plenty of top players.
the manager (a man) set the team up completely wrong and didn't change it until they were 6-0 down at half time.
Maria Thorisdottir the central defender (Man Utd and ex Chelsea) was dire and the Norway forwards rarely saw the ball.

England were very good (didn't watch the last 20 mins) but Norway were surprisingly hopeless despite having plenty of top players.
the manager (a man) set the team up completely wrong and didn't change it until they were 6-0 down at half time.
Maria Thorisdottir the central defender (Man Utd and ex Chelsea) was dire and the Norway forwards rarely saw the ball.
thats deffo an Icelandic name. I didn't see the game but saw some of the half-time analysis on BBC. They singed her out as looking especially shellshocked and questioned why the manager hadn't made a single change, despite leaking goals at a rate of knots - brits obvs up to a bit of match-rigging you'd think. The opening peno was a nonsense too. Even Ian Wright (the other one) looked baffled by that one.

thats deffo an Icelandic name. I didn't see the game but saw some of the half-time analysis on BBC. They singed her out as looking especially shellshocked and questioned why the manager hadn't made a single change, despite leaking goals at a rate of knots - brits obvs up to a bit of match-rigging you'd think. The opening peno was a nonsense too. Even Ian Wright (the other one) looked baffled by that one.
Thorisdottir father is Icelandic and is the manager of the Norway handball team (women side I think).
Germany have just gone 2-0 up against Spain in a good match. Spain have good going forward but their defence is dodgy and early first goal was a gift from a keeper's kick out.

Victor Benitez (1935 - 11 July 2022)
Starting with Alianza Lima, defensive midfielder Benitez then joined Boca before heading to AC Milan in 1962 where he won the 1963 European Cup. He spent 8 years in Italy inc. spells at Roma and Inter before returning home with Sporting Cristal.
Moving abroad curtailed Benitez's international career which ended in 1959 after only 11 caps the highlight of which was a 4-1 win over England.

Just watched Sweden struggle to beat Suisse. Sweden weren't a patch on the last day.
Suisse were strong in defence and nearly got a draw and Sweden created few chances - their final ball was terrible time after time.

Netherlands Portugal was a good game. Netherlands are one of the only actual football teams in the Women's euros, and Portugal stood up to them pretty well, but just weren't in the same league in the end.
yeah, really enjoyable game alright. Portugal are real triers and played some nice stuff too. they had a lovely team goal disallowed for offside.
Brugts who came on near end for Holland on the left wing is only 18 and she was brilliant.

the likes of Portugal, Suisse and Finland are about the mark of Ireland players wise and show with the right coaching you can be competitive at this level.

Georgi Yartsev (1948 - 15 July 2022)
Former Russia manager (Euro 2004) who played as a striker winning 5 caps in the late 70's and finishing top scorer in the Soviet league in 1978. Yatsev won the league as both a player and manager with Spartak Moscow.

Francesco Rizzo (1943 - 17 July 2022)
Cagliari, Fiorentina (1968-69 Serie A winner), Bologna, Genoa and Italy midfielder.
Rizzo won 2 caps scoring a brace on his debut v Bulgaria in 1966. This earned Rizzo a place in the 1966 World Cup squad but Franco didn't play for the Azzurri in the disaster in England and won no further caps.

Milan Dvorak (1934 - 22/7/2022)
Czech utility player who won 6 League titles with Dukla Prague.
Dvorak won 13 caps scoring 3 times including against Argentina and West Germany at the 1958 World Cup.
He also played in both defeats to Norn Iron who knocked out Czechoslovakia.

Sligo 3-0 Motherwell on agg. in Europa Conference. couldn't find video of 2nd leg so here's two Motherwell fans(??) going about pish they were.

a few thoughts on the women's Euros:
Alex Scott's doc. on state of women's football and many other commentators have pointed out the lack of opportunities for inner city girls to get transport to academies training facilities on the outskirts of cities.
this has been really borne out by France being to only country in the tournament to have a lot of black players. this needs to be addressed urgently*

I said the same thing about England men last year at this point:
the England squad need to have a big conversation about what they plan to do if they win.
The Johnson/Tory government and other malevolent forces will try to hijack their achievements. this is especially important as minorities are not well repesented in the squad at the moment.
having said that the Irish lads disappointingly didn't use either match against Qatar to make any protest about human rights.

lots of empty seats at matches - even some England matches - what happened with ticketing?

the RTE punditry was the best for years. lots of good stuff from a few women I didn't know plus LIsa Fallon, Vera Pauw and Richie Sadlier and some current stars.

the star though was presenter Marie Crowe she had huge knowledge of women's football esp. the Irish scene, she asked excellent questions and has real clarity of thought and focus that meant she used her time well (a million times removed from my digressions).
if she's interested she should be fast tracked to cover all the Ireland women's matches and some of the men's stuff. I barely knew who she was before but she was ace - easily best sports presenter on RTE.

*no black riders at men's Tour de France this year either - I can't remember the last time that happened. it's been rare since the late 2000's.
also Glastonbury Festival punters were overwhelmingly white w/ very few black folks attending. not representative of the general population of UK in 2022.

England v Germany @ Wembley in Euro 22 final today:

Wembley, all the match organisers and the police - after last year can you show you're able to stage a major event without putting 10,000s of people's lives at risk???

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back