2020-21 Football thread (4 Viewers)

I had this up my sleeve for a few years - 40 years ago today:

16 May 1982 final day of Serie A 1981-82 season.

Background:
Juve managed by Trap were the dominant team in Serie A and defending champions featuring Brady, Scirea, Rossi, Tardelli, Zoff, Cabrini, Virdis and Gentile (boo!).

Fiorentina had been bought by a wealthy building family and brought in some serious talent in summer 1981 with goal scoring Argentine winger Daniel Bertoni (from Sevilla), Italy striker Francesco Graziani and Eraldo Pecci (both from Torino) 20 year old Daniele Massaro (Monza), Pietro Vierchowod (Como) and veteran Juve stalward Antonello Cuccureddu.
Fiorentina already had international keeper Giovanni Galli and club icon Giancarlo Antognoni.
They were managed by their legendary player Giancarlo De Sisti who won Serie A with the Viola in 1968-69.

Fiorentina review of season:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@ 9:00 a goalkeeper nearly kills Antognoni as he scores.

On the final Sunday of the season Fiorentina and Juventus were level on points and title deciding play off match would be required if they finished level on points.
Fiorentina traveled to Cagliari who needed a result to be certain of staying up
Juventus were away to Cantanzano.

Cagliari v Fiorentina
Key moment is from 2:30 onwards. Analysis of both key incidents in both matches follows.

Catanzano v Juventus
Key moment @ 2:00 onwards (undoubtedly a penalty)

Going into the second half it was 0-0 in both games but then Bertoni had a goal disallowed for Fiorentina and Juve got a penalty for hand ball which Brady scored.
FT: Juventus 1-0 Catanzano; Cagliari 0-0 Fiorentina.
Juve won the title by a point

In Florence tifosi were outraged and the fall out played out in the press for weeks until the World Cup came into view. To this day the general feeling among Fiorentina fans is that both refs were bribed.
The 16-5-1982 started a bitter very one sided rivalry that continues 40 years on.

Back in Ireland Brady's pen. was the most famous image of his career in Italy (of which we didn't see a whole lot).

Antognoni was as usual Italy's attacking midfield general for the World Cup in Spain. He had a goal the would have put Italy 4-2 up against Brazil wrongly disallowed for offside. Then in the 2-0 win over Poland he suffered an injury that put him out of the final after being kicked by a Polish defender.
Giancarlo watched the final from the press box. Journalists both Paddy Barclay and Brian Glanville later recounted almost identical stories of approaching Antognoni to offer regret he wouldn't be playing.
But Antognoni was in excellent spirits and genuinely said it didn't matter as long as Italy won.
A few minutes from the end Giancarlo left to head down to the pitch with a huge smile on his face.
Graziani played in all Italy's matches but only scored once against Cameroun and was injured early on in the Final and replaced by Altobelli.
Galli and Massaro (who snuck into squad despite only having one cap) collected winners medals without playing in the tournament.

All six Juve players in the squad played in the 1982 World Cup Final - Zoff, Scirea, Gentile (boo!), Cabrini,
Tardelli and Rossi.

Hour long review of season. from 48:00 sequences up action from last day of the season from around Serie A. Interview with Brady plus sequence on Liam from 53:00. Plus lots of groovy Italiano musica throughout.

Last edited:
30 years ago today:

Saturday 16-5-1992. Final day of 1991-92 Bundesliga season:

Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Dortmund were all level on points going into the last day of the season.
When Saturday Comes article from 2010 sums up the season and the final day:
22 minute documentary with a lot of the main protagonists (in Deutsch):

Hansa Rostock v Eintracht Frankfurt 1991/92 - highlights/related events:

When Sky sports started in 1991 as just one channel and they were seriously stuck for content with the PL not starting until 1992-93. So they got the 1991-92 Bundesliga rights - it worked out very well.
Bayern striker Alan McInally was often a pundit, seening as he wasn't getting near the first team.

Two DDR teams were added to the Bundesliga after reunification. Kaiserslautern were the surprise defending champs from 1990-91.
Bayern where scheisse - they drew with Cork City at Turners Cross in the UEFA Cup (I think it was 3-1 on agg.) and they finished 10th.

Stuttgart were a club generally up there, previously champs in 1984. Dortmund after decades of failure were moving towards success under Hitzfeld with likes of Zorc and Chapuisat.
Frankfurt like Dortmund had come good after they had both barely survived several relegation battles in the 1980's.

Former Man City player Dragoslav Stepanovic, a remarkably calm cigar smoker was Eintracht's coach.
His team played a stellar brand of attacking football. Stepanovic was a sort Bundesliga version of Newell's Old Boys coach Marcelo Bielsa.
On Friday nights on Sky they could do things like this:
Duisburg 3-6 Frankfurt 1991/92

But they also had a habit of throwing away points for fun e.g. another Friday night live game saw Manfred Binz, Frankfurt's sweeper, slip in injury time and allow Klaus Alloffs through on goal to give Werder Bremen a 1-0 win.

Even among Binz, Andy Moller, Uwe Bein, former DDR defector Alex Krause (great name!) and Uli Stein, the player that stood out was Tony Yeboah. With 68 goals in 123 Bundesliga games for Eintracht he regularly played at the level he was at on a great night for Leeds.

On the final day of the season Sky couldn't show the match v Hansa Rostock live and even then they had to show what was going on in Leverkusen v Stuttgart on a TV screen from the German broadcaster as they didn't have those rights. I remember waiting all day and wondering what was going on that afternoon.

Central defender Guido Buchwald got the title winning goal. He was one the best players at Italia 90 and was keen to go to Serie A after winning the World Cup but Stuttgart refused. Buchwald also missed several previous tournaments with injury so he was due some good karma that day.
And Frankfurt still haven't won the Bundesliga.

Fair play to this young lad.

The first out gay footballer in the English leagues since Justin Fashanu more than 30 years ago, and he was outted rather than came out.

And as far as I know one of only 2 out players in the men's pro game globally.

Fair play to Vieira. What a legend. Wonder what that toffee-hearted twat said to him?

So, Everton survive, and the boyos on Five Live lose the plot praising Fat Frank... he was lucky he had some quality players willing to play their bollockses off in order to ensure transfers out of that turgid mess of a club. He'll have them in a relegation dog fight by October if they keep him. His sweaty countenance and dejected body language... go back to the Champo, Lamps and secure yourself some nice young Chelsea loanees. Chancey Francey.

If there's a God out there, please ensure Leeds beat Brentford, and Burnley go down getting their arses spanked in the final game. It's all ask. It's my sole prayer for this year. Burnley were a bit of craic with Dychey at the helm, but they offer nothing. They'd be a shite Championship team, never mind the PL.

Firstly, supporters running on to the pitch en masse has gotten out of control in England in the last week.
Billy Sharp suffered a a serious assault when a Forest fan ran at him and head butted him.
Oli Mc Burnie (also Sheff Utd) true to form also stamped on a Forest pitch invader.

If Viera had to walk across the pitch and take abuse off people that's Everton's fault for not guaranteeing his safety.
and anyone with a brain wouldn't think of messing with him.

Viera has all the makings of a very good manager, he made a huge revamp at Palace last summer brought in a mostly new team. they play good stuff and have lost very few matches this season by more than one goal* and were unlucky not to have picked up far more points.

Lampard was very lucky, especially tonight. Everton got into dire straits under his management and they did better with Benitez. I'd despense with Frankie in the next week and get someone/anyone else.
having said all this I am glad Everton are staying up.

Hopefully Leeds can beat Brentford. Burnley sacking Dyche was the worst decision of the season - WTF?!!!

Stevie G had a very mediocre time since he took over - Villa aren't going anywhere fast either.

*only Liverpool x2, Chelsea x2 and Spurs managed to beat Palace by more than one goal all season (all comps). Palace took 4 points off Man City and Arsenal and scored 9 goals (4 conceeded) against Everton in three matches.

Fair play to Vieira. What a legend. Wonder what that toffee-hearted twat said to him?

Funny you should ask ,,,

Only heard this this morning...
Port Vale beat Swindon on pens in playoff semi final last night and Swindon players were attacked on pitch at Vale Park after. Link has videos
there has to be dire warnings about banning orders from all football before every match for the rest of the season.

Only heard this this morning...
Port Vale beat Swindon on pens in playoff semi final last night and Swindon players were attacked on pitch at Vale Park after. Link has videos
there has to be dire warnings about banning orders from all football before every match for the rest of the season.

So that's 3 incidents this week?

I don't always agree with Barney Ronay, much as I enjoy his writing, but I think he's got a take worth considering here ...

So that's 3 incidents this week?

I don't always agree with Barney Ronay, much as I enjoy his writing, but I think he's got a take worth considering here ...

another thing being mentioned today is threatening to shut stadiums.
but last night has to end this. one twit goes on the pitch and gets a life ban, thousands go on the pitch and nothing happens.

gareth ainsworth 2.jpg

Sad to say the wondrous love child of Shaun Michaels and Ed Harris couldn't help Wycombe gain promotion to the Championship. Seems like a decent Northern lad too.

Oli Mc Burnie (also Sheff Utd) true to form also stamped on a Forest pitch invader.

If Viera had to walk across the pitch and take abuse off people that's Everton's fault for not guaranteeing his safety.
and anyone with a brain wouldn't think of messing with him.

Viera has all the makings of a very good manager, he made a huge revamp at Palace last summer brought in a mostly new team. they play good stuff and have lost very few matches this season by more than one goal* and were unlucky not to have picked up far more points.

Lampard was very lucky, especially tonight. Everton got into dire straits under his management and they did better with Benitez. I'd despense with Frankie in the next week and get someone/anyone else.
having said all this I am glad Everton are staying up.

Hopefully Leeds can beat Brentford. Burnley sacking Dyche was the worst decision of the season - WTF?!!!

Stevie G had a very mediocre time since he took over - Villa aren't going anywhere fast either.
100% on all this.

McBurnie must be one of the biggest nutters parading the streets.

Hopefully Vieira won't get the sack. Like you said, the onus is on Everton F.C to ensure safe passage off the pitch. And yeah, you'd want to be off your melon to provoke him.

Stevie G... that smug look he gets on his phizog during interviews...Still he definitely got Coutinho there...hope the latter stays.

For further Lampard cringe... take a butchers at this:

Mbappe and his mother have played a blinder -
they strung Real Madrid along and promised he'd sign for them two weeks ago. Then the Qataris helped him have a change of heart and Kylian signed a PSG contract worth hundreds of millions today.
Real are seething and never saw this coming.
La Liga have issued a pathetic statement criticizing the transfer, saying that PSG spending going 700 million in the red since 2019 didn't give other clubs a chance to sign the player!!!
Meanwhile Real and Barca have no fear of sanction for their billion plus debts.
Fuck off Florentino Perez you were played for a fool and Haaland already told ya to piss off - get used to it.

Kylian did his mam proud

View attachment 15702

Sad to say the wondrous love child of Shaun Michaels and Ed Harris couldn't help Wycombe gain promotion to the Championship. Seems like a decent Northern lad too.
Gareth Ainsworth is a great bloke! He was gent as ever today in defeat.
nearly ten years as WWFC boss now.
True his band wasn't any good but he's a breath of fresh air at an overachieving club with a great atmosphere and a lot of nice lads.

Adebayo Akinfenwa retired today too. The Beast is made for TV!

I think Gareth's connections with Wimbledon are worth a mention:
As a Wombles player I believe Gareth came to know Cherry Red Records owner Iain McNay who has supported Wimbledon since their non league days and was AFCW vice chairman.
This probably had something to do with Cherry Red sponsoring Wycombe as the local rivals of the despised Milton Keynes Dons.

Wow! Well guess what I just found - here's the two of them from a 2017 interview McNay did for Cherry Red TV with Gareth.
all the answers should be in here

Mbappe and his mother have played a blinder -
they strung Real Madrid along and promised he'd sign for them two weeks ago. Then the Qataris helped him have a change of heart and Kylian signed a PSG contract worth hundreds of millions today.
Real are seething and never saw this coming.
La Liga have issued a pathetic statement criticizing the transfer, saying that PSG spending going 700 million in the red since 2019 didn't give other clubs a chance to sign the player!!!
Meanwhile Real and Barca have no fear of sanction for their billion plus debts.
Fuck off Florentino Perez you were played for a fool and Haaland already told ya to piss off - get used to it.

Kylian did his mam proud
It would kind of be extra funny if Real managed to win the Champions League again now though

Cracking read here about LFC

good stuff - there's been a lot of articles on Reds fans like this recently, especially in the last week.
booing the anthem for years which isn't much surprise.

unfortunately when my friend goes over to Liverpool they just go for the craic now and can't afford to get into Anfield anymore. you have to buy a really expensive hospitality package ticket now and they cost hundreds according to him.

laughably Boris Johnson thought it was OK to boo the England team taking the knee a year ago but saw fit to criticise Scousers for booing the national anthem - the fookin' Tory slag.

really exciting final day in the PL
didn't expect City to have such a such huge wobble on Sunday. Villa gave it a real go.
Leeds did enough after Burnley went down with a wimper.

the stewards and security staff at MCFC were by the best organsed to deal with a pitch invasion but couldn't keep Martinez the Villa keeper safe today and he was hit in the head twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back