2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

Bernd Nickel (1949 - 27 October 2021)
Eintracht Frankfurt legend who who played 426 Bundesliga games, scoring 141 goals (18th on the all time list). Nickel who won one solitary cap, won three DFB Cups with Frankfurt and the 1980 UEFA Cup against 'Gladbach.

Nickel spent most of his career playing alongside World Cup winner Bernd Holzenbein and Charly Korbel (the only player with over 600 bundesliga games to his name).

Nickel scoring three times for Eintracht Frankfurt from corners:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and some long range efforts:

Umberto Colombo (1933 - 26 October 2021)
Midfielder who played with John Charles, Boniperti and Sivori at Juventus winning Serie A three times and earned three caps with the Azzurri. In 1961 he joined Atalanta, helping them to win the 1963 Coppa Italia their first ever trophy.

Aleksandar Shalamanov (1941 - 25 October 2021)
Despite starting his career at CSKA, Shalamanov quickly moved to Slavia Sofia where he became the outstanding right back in Bulgarian history starring at the 1966 and 1970 World Cups, earning 42 caps.
Yesterday Slavia Sofia annouced they were renaming their stadium after Shalamanov.
He was also an Olympian as a skier and volleyball player(!)

Roy Keane on top form today getting stuck into Man U players and on Sky.
And they're not even playing Chelsea until later

I've been unable to avoid the ongoing man utd discussion.

one thing i heard said that made the most sensse - someone saying liverpool after one of their golden era's being a top 6 side for years after, not being awful, just not being invincible. The man utd fans aren't ready to accept top 6 even though it might be the reality - especilly when clearly liverpool and city are the teams in golden era's

I often don't bother watching the pundits unless it's Roy, Gaz Neville, Brian Kerr or Cara can be good too. Also I really like Sue Smith and Merse on Sky.
Sky had all these safe bores like Jamie Redknapp for years but Gary Nev and Keano revolutionised UK punditry. Guess what? they finally realised this is what people want to watch.

Good result for Man Utd meant pundits were restrained afterwards until Carrick interview set Roy off....
" I disagree with everything he said...Jobs for the boys... what were the coaches doing for the last few months/years?".
when Ronaldo not starting came up Carra said they were worse off this season since he joined.
So Carra and Roy were shouting at other about Ronaldo for the last few minutes while Hasselbaink sat between them trying not to laugh.

I was trying to watch The Tipp hurling Final replay then the FAI Cup Final and the three overlapped a bit so I didn't see much of Stamford Bridge

Extra time wasn't too bad.

The Pats fans reminded me of Derby Co fans...giving it socks squashed into one tiny area,

These League of Ireland games are all about the craic out of the fans.

I couldn't make out if this raucous chant that the Pats lads got going for large parts of the game was:

"both teams are shite."

or

"Bohs' team are shite."

They were still singing it when Pats won on penos...

I want it to be the former as it was a more objectively true statement. Two decent goals in extra time though.

when Ronaldo not starting came up Carra said they were worse off this season since he joined.
So Carra and Roy were shouting at other about Ronaldo for the last few minutes while Hasselbaink sat between them trying not to laugh.
Hasselbaink had a look of quiet glee and smirking disbelief that reminded me of Souness with the two boys on RTE.

Extra time wasn't too bad.

The Pats fans reminded me of Derby Co fans...giving it socks squashed into one tiny area,

These League of Ireland games are all about the craic out of the fans.

I couldn't make out if this raucous chant that the Pats lads got going for large parts of the game was:

"both teams are shite."

or

"Bohs' team are shite."

They were still singing it when Pats won on penos...

I want it to be the former as it was a more objectively true statement. Two decent goals in extra time though.

My girlfriend works with a lad who is apparently a Rovers hooligan. He'll have had a great couple of weeks.

Jacques Zimako (28 December 1951 - 8 December 2021)
Left winger Zimako was the first Kanak (indigenous New Caledonian) to play for France, winning 13 caps (2 goals) and scoring against Ireland in a 1981 WC qualifier in Paris.
He was a French Champion in 1981 with St. Etienne playing alongside Platini.
Zimako paved the way for future Kanak New Caledonians, Antoine Kombouare (Nantes, PSG, Aberdeen player and managed PSG, Lens and now Nantes) and World Cup winner Christian Karembeu.

Lars Hogh (1959 - 8 December 2021)
Odense goalkeeper (1997-2000) was a one club man, winning three Leagues and three cups.
he won 8 caps for Denmark and played two games in the 1986 World Cup.

in Mexico '86 after Denmark beat Scotland 1-0 and Uruguay 6-1 coach Sepp Piontek replaced Troels Rasmussen with Hogh (22 year old Schmeichel wasn't on the radar yet).
a 2-0 win over West Germany gave the Danes the only 100% group stage record.
the Uruguay coach had dubbed Group E "The Group of Death''.
next up was a chance of revenge against Spain who had beaten Denmark on pens in the of Euro 84 semis.

despite the Danes missing midfielder Frank Arnesen, Denmark were now one of the favourites and were expected to beat Spain with out any problems.
Man Utd left winger Jesper Olsen gave Denmark the lead from the spot and they missed several chances.
but on 43 mins Hogh passed to Olsen (for some reason in the right back position) who made a major fuck up @3:35

early in the 2nd half Elkjaer missed two good chances but after Butragueno got a second, Denmark fell to bits and lost 5-1.
Butragueno was the first player since Eusebio in 1966 to score four in a WC Finals game.
this was a huge shock akin to Holland beating Spain 5-1 in Brazil 2014.
as the match was on late I asked my dad what the score was the next morning and he said ''Guess'', I started 3-0 to Denmark, then 4-0... It took me at least 20 guesses to get the score.

Jimmy Robson (1939 - 14 December 2021)
inside forward who was a League Champion with Burnley in 1959-60. Robson also scored in the 1962 FA Cup Final defeat to Spurs. He later played in Division 1 for Blackpool for two more seasons after leaving Burnley in 1965.

best quotes of 2021:

Kaspar Schmeichel: "Has it ever been home?"

Tyrone Mings on Pritti Patel:

I also want to say the report on the Final of the Euros at Wembley sounds like a bit of a whitewash to me.
how were 250,000 people in the vacinity of the stadium for hours before the match?
if you cannot ring fence the stadium and it is so easy to break into, it's not fit for purpose any more.
the organisation and policing were shit and Wembley Way always looks dangerous now. a lot of the new buildings alongside Wembley Way are privately owned flats apparently. so ring fencing the place for big events doesn't seem possible.
Easy to blame fans and deflect the blame from elsewhere.

sadly Sergio Augero had to announce his retirement last month.
in late Summer 2005 we started to hear about this barely 17 kid at Independiente and a few weeks later he scored the fourth in a 4-0 derby win over Racing. probably the first time I saw him in action

must have been one of the first goals that went viral??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back