2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

I'm jealous of that kid doing a wheelie on his bike.
being better at wheelies was my first covid lockdown project. I was out in the carpark practicing every day, until I noticed I was pulling my wrist joint apart. Like, I'd managed to somehow tear the joint, it was all splayed out and a completely different shape to the other one. I only noticed because I stopped being able to pick up cast iron frying pans.

Mental. But yeah, pro-tip: when practicing manuals and wheelies, don't destroy your wrists.

Hungary FA sanctioned yesterday with two match ban (plus one suspended) for fans racism and homophobia at Euro matches in Budapest

why has Bernard O'Byrne not being sacked for the racist post about Raheem Sterling?
should have been sorted out yesterday.

I'm calling a win for England tomorrow. They will win. At this stage of the tournament the younger, fitter, team will win.

Though they're probably infusing blood bags as we speak, so maybe that won't matter
Pffft, if England somehow manage to win it'll 100% be for a complete bullshit red card or some fucking nonsense

being better at wheelies was my first covid lockdown project. I was out in the carpark practicing every day, until I noticed I was pulling my wrist joint apart. Like, I'd managed to somehow tear the joint, it was all splayed out and a completely different shape to the other one. I only noticed because I stopped being able to pick up cast iron frying pans.

Mental. But yeah, pro-tip: when practicing manuals and wheelies, don't destroy your wrists.
I saw a younglad wheelie round the corner in the middle of traffic in Inchicore village today.

I was thinking about the Italian coaching crew of Sampdoria old boys Mancini, Vialli, and Lombardo
all stars of the only Samp side to win Serie A in 1991

Mancini scored his first goal for Italy in Euro '88 opening game against West Germany but didn't score again for the Azzurri for years and never got on the pitch in a World Cup.
he was a golden boy in Serie A but his international career was a disappointment. in fairness there was a kid in his position called Roberto Baggio!
the goals Mancini would score and create in the 80's and 90's ,...woah.
I particularly remember near the end of his career at Lazio a goal from a corner where he ran in at the near post and stuck out a boot and back healed the ball into the net.

the 90 World Cup was to be Vialli's tournament but he seemed to freeze and after not scoring in the first two matches Vicini replaced him with super sub Schillaci and that Luca's was big chance gone.
and then Italy didn't even qualify for Euro 1992 losing out to the USSR/ CIS after winning only three qualifiers.

Lombardo - the big bald head on him even back then. after a stellar career in Italy w/ Samp and Juve he somehow ended up at Palace in the late 90's and even became manager despite having to use Thomas Brolin as translator which was like a hilarious comedy sketch in interviews. after relegation he was far from finished and went to Lazio where won another Serie A title with his third different club and string of other stuff deep into his thirties.
I don't remember him managing Newcastle but sure enough it says here he was boss at Castelnuovo.

many clubs lose the biggest match in their history (Atletico Madrid x 3, Arsenal, Roma...) and at Wembley in 1992 the three lads Sampdoria side lost 1-0 to the Barca Dream Team after Ronald Koeman scored a free kick. it was the first and only time Barca won the European Cup /CL before 2006 and the Messi era.

Last edited:
My current feelings. There are loads of sound English people. It was a penalty. Just tune out the Torys if they win. Fuck it, good luck England.
there are many millions of sound English people. It was not a penalty. the Tories and the media will ruin the whole thing if England win. they ruin everything for everyone.

I hope none of the English players does something on the pitch tomorrow will get him crucified.

before the rugby World Cup final in Japan the One Show on BBC asked people to send in videos of them celebrating when England won (they lost). what on Earth were they thinking?

before the rugby World Cup final in Japan the One Show on BBC asked people to send in videos of them celebrating when England won (they lost). what on Earth were they thinking?
Hahahahahahahahaha

Kevin Doyles tweet on the penalty totally changed my opinion on it.

They're as bad as each other, the rugby and football bullshit.
In the last rugby World Cup, I was working during the first half of the final, then me and one of the lads from work went to this pub beside work to watch the second half. It was full of English fans over here for the weekend or whatever, and watching South Africa take them apart was fucking hilarious, there was one Scottish lad was laughing at them all haha.

Last night I watched the second half of the Copa America final. The Argies finally got another trophy, beating Brazil 1-0 in the Maracana, haaaa. Both teams were cheats, but it was hilarious watching some of the shit from Argentina to waste time towards the end of the game. Every time Neymar got the ball he got fucking hammered hahahaha.

I think its a shame Irelands team are so shit . Countries fucking sports mad and we can't put together a decent soccer team. Crazy

there are many millions of sound English people. It was not a penalty. the Tories and the media will ruin the whole thing if England win. they ruin everything for everyone.

I hope none of the English players does something on the pitch tomorrow will get him crucified.

this. I read an article in the Observer this morning about how this england team wasn't the england of the tories. But, you know what? It fucking is. There are lots of sound english people, yea, but this team belongs to the pricks as much as it does to the sounders. Possibly more cos there's more pricks than sounders.

All this diversity, social justice stuff will just get drowned out by the murdoch media if they win. It will change precisely NOTHING.

Incidentally, they said the exact same thing in the last Euros, about diversity, about how that England team represented everything Brexit wasn't. But the fucking tories deliberately timed the brexit referendum to take place during the euros because they knew that the patriotic 'rule britania' bollox that goes hand-in-hand with the england football team (and always will), would give their campaign a lift. And you know what? They were right.

I think its a shame Irelands team are so shit . Countries fucking sports mad and we can't put together a decent soccer team. Crazy
Irish team hugely overachieved for a long time. had to believe the players we had.
how many small countries are consistently strong?
Uruguay, Denmark and Croatia that's about it.
but I never thought Ireland would be this stuck for players particularly strikers.

yeah - Scutter. the England squad need to make sure they have a planned response for government and right wing media's inevitable attempts to hijack their achievements. If they don't it will get very grim.

EDIT: A guy I know studied African influence on football in France which has always been Africa's gateway to European soccer. if I meet him I'll ask why the France 1998 team (who inspired him growing up) didn't have the lasting legacy of unifying the country through their diverse backgrounds.
are they any mistakes the England can learn from?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back