2020-21 Football thread (3 Viewers)

Had two accumulators...and Welsh boys screwed the both of them from the get-go.

I was asking someone on a dating site who they were supporting the other week in the Euros, and she said "our Welsh cousins, of course."

"Welsh cousins??", I replied. "What the fuck are you on about?"

They are even less my cousins now. Hill hugging, sheep loving, bet ruining bastids.

In fairness one of the Wales players made a really pertinent point regarding the performance - they'd travelled 5300 miles or something in around a week to play matches in Baku, Rome, and then Amsterdam, whereas for Denmark it was their first game outside of Copenhagen.
This bullshit format is a fucking joke.

There is something to be said for some dude whipping out his mobile and reading stats on the national broadcaster for their Euros coverage.

Dutch will surely beat the Czechs. The Czechs are actually an okay team, but the Dutch are pretty good and should win by a goal or two.

Reckon Wales - Denmark has draw - extra time - penalties written all over it.
It’s not the quality of analysis I come here for, but the predictions.

That travel thing sounds fucked...no wonder they were garbage ... Makes me think back to that Ukraine looking like death against Austria...but then Austria Italy, I was thinking Austria are just ridiculously fit...

Anyway, my dad the cheeky bastard tipped to Ballymahon after we hilled some turf, and I wasn't very happy about that - but I'd been blasting some Coalesce off my phone, and he wasn't very happy with that either. Asked for some country music which is fair but he doesn't mean the good stuff, he means Declan Nerney. I told him to shut up, and keep his head down and keep working so we could get the fuck out of there pronto. We got stuck behind some belligerent farm machinery on the way into Ballymahon.

Anyway, I stuck on two more fresh accumulators...one is going strong. Get in, yas bad bastards.

One of the most crazily enjoyable days of knockout football in a very long time. Really didn't think Switzerland had that in them. I can finally forgive them for having sat through that 0-0 draw with Ukraine in the 2006 World Cup now (a.k.a 2 hours that made you wish football had never been invented). France in fairness only really caught fire for a few 20 minute patches across the 4 games, maybe too much of a conservative setup from Deschamps, rarely looked that fluid as a team despite all the attacking talent. I can see Spain winning it now, they seem to be picking up a bit of momentum with each game after the slow start.

Spain were still shit against Croatia. They beat an ageing Croatia team after scoring the most ridiculous own-goal of the tournament and letting the Croats back in it after being 3-1 up. They were the better team in the game, but there is a shit attitude in that team, and they really can't defend for shit. When they come up against an actual good team, they will lose. I wouldn't be surprised if the Swiss manage to do them in the next match too.

Same with France, their shit attitude is a "Oh we're the best" laziness exemplified by Pogba. When they were 1-0 down you saw them playing football, when they went 3-1 up they went to sleep thinking they'd won it and let the Swiss back in. It's an attitude that deserved getting taking apart, especially after Pogba's celebration. Wanker.

We saw the two Switzerlands playing today. We saw the shit Swiss that were bollocks against Wales and got taken apart by Italy, and we saw the good Swiss that I saw out-fight Germany in the shitty Nations League in what was a genuine both teams going at it match. Both Switzerlands showed up in the same game tonight, the shit one went 3-1 down, then the good one fought back to equalise and won on penalties.
When you see that, you just think again, lazy attitudes. Good Swiss have the potential to cause trouble for any team in the world, but too often shit Swiss show up instead, like against Italy. What's the difference between the two? The attitude of the players, surely. Whether they fancy it or not. What changed everything tonight against France? Pogba's ridiculous disrespectful celebration 100% burned shit Swiss away and brought good Swiss out to play.

Italy are easily the best team in the tournament right now, because you just don't see shit Italy. This Italy team is pure machine, there's no switching off allowed. They're like the Germany that won the World Cup in Brazil. Class to watch, and ruthless. No bullshit, just made to win. Even against Austria, who did really well against them, when the Italians didn't have the best match, they still made sure to win it.
The only team I've seen play to the same level in the tournament are Germany - against Portugal, they went into machine mode for a good 45 minutes or so, and hammered them. If Germany can do that for the rest of the tournament, then it will be Italy - Germany in the final. The problem is, this German team also has a shit mode just like the Swiss, and shit mode turned up against Hungary, so who will turn up against the Brits tomorrow? MACHINE FOREVER!

Oh and my Spain - Croatia prediction was right, haha, a draw. Just not a shit draw, that's all.

Ballymahon, the home of Boggers
actually had to look up where Ballymahon is (Longford)

the ref in the Belgium v Portugal game had little grasp of what is a foul and let about 20 of them go. the players showed a lot of restraint not to let it develop into a free for all.

today was incredible - I LUVED IT.
Croatia could have won 'cause Kramaric had two great chances at the start of extra time.
Spain's defence is weak alright and Morata is still crap. I don't think they will get to the Final.

I was thinking ''If Pogba played at 80% of his best every match he'd be deadly'' 30 seconds later he lost the ball and then the Suisse equalized.

if Italy beat Belgium they will go on to be Champs - but I am hoping Belgium get the job done.

EDIT: the amount of subs allowed is silly and hard to keep track of it's not necessary and is warping the game. this isn't rugby. END EDIT.

a bit of speculation about the path ahead:

if England win the group their likely route to the final would be
Last 16 v Portugal, QF v Spain and SF v France. Easy!
but even if they are runners up they stay in the same half of the draw and would face France or whoever wins the group of death in the QF.

the other half of the draw should have Italy, Belgium and Holland.

Holland's 1/4 of the draw looks relatively weak (inc. Wales if they get runners up slot)
Italy should play Belgium in QF.

of the best third place teams I'd be concerned about getting Germany.

we can look back at this and laugh at how much I got wrong.
LOL hahahahaha! etc.

actually had to look up where Ballymahon is (Longford)

the ref in the Belgium v Portugal game had little grasp of what is a foul and let about 20 of them go. the players showed a lot of restraint not to let it develop into a free for all.

today was incredible - I LUVED IT.
Croatia could have won 'cause Kramaric had two great chances at the start of extra time.
Spain's defence is weak alright and Morata is still crap. I don't think they will get to the Final.

I was thinking ''If Pogba played at 80% of his best every match he'd be deadly'' 30 seconds later he lost the ball and then the Suisse equalized.

if Italy beat Belgium they will go on to be Champs - but I am hoping Belgium get the job done.

EDIT: the amount of subs allowed is silly and hard to keep track of it's not necessary and is warping the game. this isn't rugby. END EDIT.

LOL hahahahaha! etc.
Regarding the Belgium bit.

they were so nervy and ended up restricting themselves against a pretty bad Portugal yesterday. Can’t see them winning it like that.

great day of it today.

I think Belgium played smart yesterday actually. They are playing defensively and going for the result, in the last couple of tournaments they have played offensively and been counter-attacked out of the tournament. It's really tactically quite clever, but of course it's dangerous to let good teams have a lot of possession.

The subs thing is a fucking disaster, I fucking hate it. It's fucking bullshit and naturally benefits the big teams more (like Belgium) who basically have another first team sitting on the bench. I mean, look at Ireland, what difference does 5 subs make to us? Fuck all, cause all our guys are basically shit anyway.

What do the big teams do with 5 subs? Well, you can change out your entire forward line, wingers, and maybe a midfielder or two - you know, the guys that have to cover the most ground. Central defenders, they're grand, they don't have to run as much, but hey, now your fresh guys have a big advantage over the defenders for the last 20 minutes at least.

I think Belgium played smart yesterday actually. They are playing defensively and going for the result, in the last couple of tournaments they have played offensively and been counter-attacked out of the tournament. It's really tactically quite clever, but of course it's dangerous to let good teams have a lot of possession.

The subs thing is a fucking disaster, I fucking hate it. It's fucking bullshit and naturally benefits the big teams more (like Belgium) who basically have another first team sitting on the bench. I mean, look at Ireland, what difference does 5 subs make to us? Fuck all, cause all our guys are basically shit anyway.

What do the big teams do with 5 subs? Well, you can change out your entire forward line, wingers, and maybe a midfielder or two - you know, the guys that have to cover the most ground. Central defenders, they're grand, they don't have to run as much, but hey, now your fresh guys have a big advantage over the defenders for the last 20 minutes at least.
Very cagey match w/ Portugal but they still weren't watertight at the back.
I think Italy will beat Belgium next which would have made a great final and unfortunately that would probably be the end for the golden generation.
love Roberto Martinez. what a story his career is - wonder what the Spanish make of him.
he's had a hell of a journey since the Three Amigos arrived in Wigan.

To stick my neck out a bit, I reckon England to win this evening (let's say 2-1 in normal time), then to get complacent and lose unexpectedly to either Sweden (quarters) or Denmark (semi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back