2020-21 Football thread (1 Viewer)

Rangers v St Johnstone, Scottish Cup QF, 25-4-2021
St. J keeper scores equalizer in 122 minute and then saves two pens in shootout.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

love this kind of stuff regardless of who is on the wrong end of it.
no odds to me it was Rangers (I posted Roofe's amazing goal v Standard near start of thread)

I've had this up my sleeve for a long while and now the day has finally arrived.

40 years ago today - 26 APRIL 1981 final day of the 1980-81 La Liga season.

background:
Real Madrid were Camps in 78, 79 and 80 while Real Sociedad (who had never won a major trophy) were 4th in 79 and runners up in 1980 having lost the title by a point after losing their penultimate match.
tragically it was their first defeat for 38 Liga matches over 78-79 and 79-80
(a record only surpassed in recent years).

26-4-1981:
going into the final day both sides were level on points with Sociedad top on head to head
(won 3-1 at home and lost 0-1 in Madrid)

Real were away to Valladolid while Sociedad were away to Sporting Gijon, another upstart club made good.
after Real won 3-1 they celebrated on the pitch knowing The Txuri-urdin were losing 2-1 in Gijon but with seconds left...

overview of what happened in both matches:

match highlights:

just found this - should have just posted this instead:

video of Sociedad fans in a bar listening to the match on the radio.
after Zamora scores there is a delay before the game resumes and the final few seconds are played.

notes:
The entire Sociedad team was Basque - Aldridge was their first non Basque player in 1989.
Aldo who scored 40 goals in 76 matches is considered a legend in Donostia / San Sebastian

both the Valladolid and Gijon hosted World Cup matches in 1982 14 months later.
yet the rebuilding work hadn't been done yet and you can see the cranes in Gijon.
both stadiums look completely different by June 1982.

Praise Jesus!!
Bang of AguerrrOOOOOOOO on that haha.
Would have been much funnier if Real were playing at home for that last match though hahaha

PS The Spanish run in right now is fuckin classssss, there's a massive weekend I think either next week or the week after where the 4 teams all in it basically play each other. Be fuckin AMAZIN if Sevilla manage to win all their games and come out on top. I'd definitely take Atletico managing to hang on too of course.

Rangers v St Johnstone, Scottish Cup QF, 25-4-2021
St. J keeper scores equalizer in 122 minute and then saves two pens in shootout.

love this kind of stuff regardless of who is on the wrong end of it.
no odds to me it was Rangers (I posted Roofe's amazing goal v Standard near start of thread)

Fuckin LOL at that goal by the lad, standing unmarked 4 yards from the centre of the goal as the corner comes in, hahaha. Also around 5.20 in those highlights there's a hilarious foul by a St Johnstone striker on the Rangers keeper.
Celtic should sign that St J keeper in the Summer hahaha

Fuckin LOL at that goal by the lad, standing unmarked 4 yards from the centre of the goal as the corner comes in, hahaha. Also around 5.20 in those highlights there's a hilarious foul by a St Johnstone striker on the Rangers keeper.
Celtic should sign that St J keeper in the Summer hahaha
jesus, if celtic had a fraction of the heart and passion of St.J they'd be doing well. Celtic were fucking pathetic, and continue to be pathetic this season.

Lets face it though, thats all the sweeter because it was the huns on the other end of it.

Fuck them and fuck Gerrard. He's bought into rangers full-whack, hateful shower of pricks.. Liverpool supporters still defend him but hes as big a cunt as was ever there.

LOL.

I dunno... Fergie played for Rangers but he has a lot of Irish blood in him and dad supported Celtic.
and a lot of people who profess to support Celtic end up at Ibrox and vice versa.
a Celtic fan told me Scott Brown might not have been a Bhoy as a kid...
Dalglish and Hansen both supported Rangers

Stevie G seems to be becoming a good manager but more for Celtic's sake I hope he gets out of there soon.
no way i'd defend him definitely not enjoying seeing him there.

Celtic are a shambles - Lennon and the club's lack of remorse for going to the UAE in December was stunning - a really low point.
having said that Rangers contested bans this month for 6 players who attended a house party - WTF ?

Lennon has bit by bit lost all of the respect I had for him -
the only place he did a good job as a manager was Celtic in his first spell.
this season he blamed everyone under the sun for what went gone wrong and the club's mistakes.

also his personal life has to be brought into it - he was having an affair with a young woman and threatened her with violence.

Celtic and Liverpool have something in common - they both could hardly have gone down hill more rapidly.

EDIT - fixed spelling mistakes

Last edited:
As far as the protesters at Old Trafford today go - good on 'em.

Gaz Neville got it right again, one match being postponed is a minor issue compared to the crimes of the Glazer's - they have to go.
Typical spineless Glazer's putting others in the front line as usual.
Most of the pundits were great today esp Roy and Carra but the presenter went overboard with devil's advocate hypothetical arguments about what the fans 'might' have done.

After getting used to liking Gary Neville, I'm happy to praise Chelsea and Man Utd fans for doing a good job.

it was interesting to watch it play out today. I'm sure ear pieces were getting hammered by producers with all the pro pitch invading talk by Keane, Carragher and Neville. The abruptness of the end of transmission spoke volumes

Souness came across as being pretty out of touch with supporters, claiming utd only protesting because they're going through a shit patch in recent years. They protested against the Glazers off the back of leagues and a European cup a few years back

The hypocrisy of Neville (and Sky in genreal) is a bit of a joke though. He's ramming money into Salford to get them as high up the leagues asap.

At one stage today someone said Abromovich was a great football man, and Richards couldn't fault the morally corrupt fuckers in charge of City. What the fuck like. Hopefully bringing a lot of home truths to the fore at the very least for supporters. In the middle of all this they go banging on about how many 100s of million Utd have to spend this Summer as well. The chaotic presentation on Sky was probably better than the game was going to be

Yeah - Souness said he met Abramovich and he loved football and was an excellent owner. The United supporters hated the Glazer's from the get go - Graeme should know that.
Micah praised the Abu Dhabi crew without any question and Gary has been fairly positive about them in the past.
Salford FC is only 6 miles from Bury FC whose demise coincided with Salford's rise. As the Neville's late father was heavily involved trying to keep Bury solvent, I never understood why he didn't get involved with them instead.

Yeah, the unscripted nature of the broadcast was gripping viewing alright.

MOTD brought on Andy Mitten from United We Stand after Shearer condemned the supporters for what occured.
Mitten very calmly explained the issues.

Jose didn't get along the Roman Emperor ?
Mourinho lagging off CR7 when he was young wasn't very clever either.

anyway Man City were immense tonight I have to say.
they've gone up a level even from those epic battles with Liverpool in the late 2010's.

regardless how dodgy Sheik Mansour's oil money is and however many sports science boffins they have behind them this was great to watch. Foden is going to be one the most famous players in the world soon if he stays fit for the next two months.

out of PSG, Real Mad and Chelski, MCFC are definitely the least unpalatable potential CL winners.

Jose didn't get along the Roman Emperor ?
Na I'm not saying he doesn't get on with Totti, just that I can't imagine Totti being a fan of the kind of shite Mourinho likes to play

PS Fuck Man City, I hope Real Madrid or Chelski win because it's great to laugh at Man City and PSG literally spending billions and still not being able to win the CL.

What am I saying, I just hope Real Madrid win again because at least Zidane is a legend and fuck all the rest of them

OK - hail Caesar Totti. Yeah, he's dead cool.

I hate Real Madrid - would love it if they went into bankruptcy.
At least Man City still have the same supporters as when they lost to the likes of Mansfield in the late 90's. Also Aguero deserves a medal.
But the semi final line up was grim this time.

Zidane playing for Juventus and Real means he gets TWO points deducted they are both the absolute establishment of European football who have literally had things handed to them and attract arseholes as fans.
So Zinedine only gets 9/10 instead 110%.

Most of the pundits were great today esp Roy and Carra but the presenter went overboard with devil's advocate hypothetical arguments about what the fans 'might' have done.
I'd imagine that he had a producer in his ear feeding him a lot of what he said. Dave Jones is pretty good as an anchor but unlike Neville I don't imagine he can afford to lose the gig by pissing off his bosses.

I'd imagine that he had a producer in his ear feeding him a lot of what he said. Dave Jones is pretty good as an anchor but unlike Neville I don't imagine he can afford to lose the gig by pissing off his bosses.
Yeah - I understand Dave was in a very awkward position and Gaz, Keano and Carra had already nailed themselves in with the protesters / supporters but a lot of he was (as you said was almost certainly being told) to say was speculation and we simply didn't know the full story.
Sky have been strongly pro the supporters but obviously didn't want to be seen to support anything illegal.

beyond that it is vile that a leveraged buy out or any similar 'tenant pays the landlord's mortgage' transaction is legal.
I support Liverpool. Hicks and Gilette cost LFC a few hundred million but thankfully they were forced to sell the club when they ran out of money.

Kaveh Solhekol said on Sky Sports News yesterday that the MUFC accounts show the Glazer family took 1.5 billion out of the club to service their loans.

OK - hail Caesar Totti. Yeah, he's dead cool.

I hate Real Madrid - would love it if they went into bankruptcy.
At least Man City still have the same supporters as when they lost to the likes of Mansfield in the late 90's. Also Aguero deserves a medal.
But the semi final line up was grim this time.

Zidane playing for Juventus and Real means he gets TWO points deducted they are both the absolute establishment of European football who have literally had things handed to them and attract arseholes as fans.
So Zinedine only gets 9/10 instead 110%.
I dunno, Zidane gets an extra 200 points for head butting Maternazzi in the world cup final, lets face it

Big fight after Lyon do Monaco to end their title hopes. 2 red cards given to each team after this, haha. The Ligue 1 title race has Lille at the top with 3 games to go, 1 point ahead of the scum. Fingers crossed Lille seal the deal with 3 wins out of 3!!

Edit: Also looks like Sevilla are more or less out of the title race in Spain barring some collapses from the others, after they got ambushed by Bilbao at the weekend. Sevilla were all over Bilbao but couldn't score, then got hit by a sucker counter attack in like the 87th minute or something. Architects of their own downfall though, the defending for the counter attack was non-existent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back