2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

Mate Fenyvesi (1933 - 17 February 2022)
Ferencvaros and Hungary player who won four League Championships and the 1965 Fairs Cup (aka UEFA Cup/ Europa League). In the Final Fenyvesi scored the only goal against Juventus in Turin. Ferencvaros also beat Man Utd who won the League that season in the semis.
He also played in the 1968 Fairs Cup Final where Fenercvaros lost to Leeds over two legs, FTC having earlier knocked out Liverpool.

Fenyvesi won 76 caps (1954-66) scoring 8 goals and playing in three World Cups (1958/62/66).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mauri (1934 - 18 February 2022)
Goalscoring Athletic Bilbao midfielder from 1953-64 who won 5 caps.
Mauri was a Spanish Champion in 1955-56 and won three Copas, including scoring against Real Madrid in the 1958 Final at the Bernabeu.

Pierluigi Frosio (1948 - 20 February 2022)
Frosio was a libero for Perugia from 1974-84. They won Serie B in '75 and were runners up in Serie A in 1978-79 after going the season unbeaten (W11 D19 !!!).
He later coached many lower division sides from 1986 to 2006.
Italian wikipedia bio translated:
Don't forget he had a talk show too
and Mauri won the Vuelta in 1991

Giuseppe Wilson (1945 - 6 March 2022)
Darlington born Lazio great has died after a stroke.
The first man from the NE of England to play for Lazio, Wilson's father was an English soldier in Italy when he met Giuseppe's Neapolitan mother. As an infant Wilson's family settled in Napoli.
Wilson played 300 odd Serie A matches for Lazio 1969-80 as a libero and captained them to their first scudetto in 1974. He won 3 caps including 2 matches at the 1974 World Cup where Italy were knocked out at the group stage.
Wilson's career came to an abrupt halt in 1980 when he and some Lazio team mates were among those caught up in the Totonero match fixing scandal.

Never heard of 1960's goalscoring Austrian Wilhelm Huberts (1938-2022) who played for Eintracht Frankfurt.

this is a sad one -
Justice Christopher (24 December 1981 - 9 March 2022)
Nigerian defender who played in all three games in 2002 World Cup, where debutants Nigeria performed with honour in the group of death including a 0-0 draw with England.

Tomas Boy (1951 - 8 March 2022)
Midfielder Boy was a legend of Mexican football.
As a player with Tigres UANL from 1975-88 he won two MX championships.
A latecomer to international football, Boy won 52 caps (9 goals) and aged 35 captained Mexico in their run to the QF of the 1986 World Cup on home turf. After dominating West Germany in the QF they lost on pens after a 0-0 draw.

From the late 1980's Boy had a long career as a coach with many of Mexico's top clubs, working until 2021.
Tomas was admitted to hospital several days ago with heart problems.

Tony Marchi (1933 - 15 March 2022)
Tottenham (1950-57 and 1959-65), Vicenza (1957-58) and Torino (1958-59).
Marchi played in Spurs 5-1 1963 Cup Winners Cup Final win over Atletico Madrid and in 2018 was belatedly awarded a 1960-61 Division 1 winners medal.
Despite the fact he played in Italy I am surprised I didn't know Tony. He was actually signed by Juve but they loaned him out for two seasons.

match of the season so far - Wolves 2-3 Leeds

Leeds had no shots on target in the first half. they had to substitute 4 injured players inc. Bamford who broke down again, their keeper, and an extra concussion sub.
Leeds were so poor in the first half, especially at the back, that I expected Wolves to win about 5-0.

Wolves were deservedly 2-0 up at half time.
in a crazy second half Raul Jimenez @ 55 mins was unfairly sent off (second yellow) after Leeds 'keeper Meslier got clattered in a 50/50.
the match went totally gung ho/basketball after that and some mad passages of play, Leeds pulled level.
the game then calmed down for a while before it took off again in the latter stages.
Luke Ayling scored the winner in the injury time but Leeds aren't able to close out games. Wolves had a few shots even after that and after a few players clattered each other, schuffles broke on the pitch and between coaching staff. the ref wasn't popular with the Wolves hostile fans whose singing had compared Leeds' team with excrement before Jimenez was sent off
following 9 minutes injury time Leeds could celebrate a big step towards safety that was unthinkable at half time. in total the match overran by 20 minutes after the first half lasted over 55 minutes.
LUVED IT.

the lad who chained himself to the goal post at Goodison on Thursday own video:
"WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?! YOU STUPID FUCKING TWAT!!"
best part is the Toffees fan trying to come on with a knife to help, but his offer of help is misunderstood!

Aleksei Bakharev (1976 - 18 March 2022)
former Shaktar player died in Doentsk on Friday - cause of death not known.
interestingly the Russian born player won one cap each for Russia (1998) and Ukraine (2002)

Andy Lochhead (1941 - 18 March 2022)
Scottish striker Lochhead made his debut aged 19 for English Champions Burnley in 1960.
Over the next 8 years he scored 101 goals in Division 1 inc. four against Man Utd on Boxing Day 1963 and five in a match against Chelsea. Athough he didn't feature in the 1961 Cup Final, Burnley finished 4th in 1961, 3rd in '62, runners up in '63 and 3rd in 1966.
In '68 Lochhead left for Leicester and played in the 1969 Cup Final defeat to Man City.
Later he won Division 3 with Villa in 71-72 and repeated the feat with Oldham in 73-74.

In Andy's generation Scotland had strikers like Denis Law, David Herd, Ian St. John, Joe Baker, Alex Young and Alan Gilzean to chose from so he never won a full cap.

the lad who chained himself to the goal post at Goodison on Thursday own video:
"WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?! YOU STUPID FUCKING TWAT!!"
best part is the Toffees fan trying to come on with a knife to help, but his offer of help is misunderstood!

Haha- fair play to that lad, it takes some fucking balls to do that. It would defintely be beond the bravery of all the cunty hardmen around him shouting abuse from the safety of the crowd

Haha- fair play to that lad, it takes some fucking balls to do that. It would defintely be beond the bravery of all the cunty hardmen around him shouting abuse from the safety of the crowd
I understand the anti oil drilling campaign meant well but maybe they could have maybe chosen their targets better? having said that I wanted to hear what they had to say and it got my attention.

it is a hellish time to be young and youngsters tell me they and their friends feel despondent about the future. I got genuinely depressed about this stuff when I was young even though I knew it was decades away.

the protest happened early in the second half and so there 14 minutes injury time. when Everton scored the only goal of the game over 8 minutes into injury time the Evertonians were a bit more complementary.
and against the Saudi state owned Newcastle too.

Italy hilariously dumped out of the World Cup playoffs by North Macedonia. Did Italy's 2006 win come with some terrible curse? Since then they've gone out in the group stages twice and not qualified twice, they haven't played a World Cup knockout game since winning it. They've reached the Euros final twice and won it once in the meantime so the decline seems weirdly specific to the World Cup.

Awesome for the real Macedonia - not those fakers in Greece!
the match was in Palermo so if Italy had a Patricio Bonneri to boot the ball up to Quinness (or Antonio Cascarino) they would have been OK.
Macedonia also beat Germany away a year ago.

this was such a surprise that I hoping Italy would KO Portugal next.
Italy's record in World Cups since 2006 is just bizarre alright.

Wales should qualify unless as Boris Johnson said today Ukraine should get a bye over Scotland and Wales and also he said they should host Euro 2028 which UK and Ireland are bidding for.
was easy to catch that twit out with a few trick questions.

a few South American qualifiers are just about to end as I write.
big day tomorrow in Africa

North Macedonia giant killers. First Italy, next Persia...
The North Maccies won in Germany during the qualifying group and managed 2nd place, I guess tonight wasn't a fluke even if they relied a bit on Italy's backup strikers blowing their chances. Surely beating Ronaldo & co. will be a bridge too far, much as I'd love to see them do it.

It kind of was a 'fluke' in the sense that although they are very well organised defensively, it's always lucky to get those results when you give away that much of possession.
They set up similarly to Hungary, who gave Portugal a hard time at the euros and were very unlucky against them really, so you never know.

the real action tonight on play off final night was in the Motherland -

Egypt lost on penalties again to Senegal in Dakar (1-1 on agg). the match was plagued by at least a dozen lasers constantly being pointed at Egyptian players for over two hours inc during the shoot out. the first four pens were missed and after 9 pens Senegal won the shoot out 3-1. without their keeper El Shanawy Egypt wouldn't got through to pens.

highlights videos I found of this are crap and don't show all pens. so here's whole thing:

Senegal scored in 4th min @25:10. Senegal dominated and their best chances were just before half time @ 1:06:40, 82nd min @2:06:00 and two chances in quick succession early in E.T. @ 2:22:25 and @ 2:23:30. the pens begin @3:02:20.

Ghana went through in Nigeria on away goals after a 1-1 tonight. (highlights video lasts 2:10)

afterwards a load of lads ran on to the pitch. not a good idea but if you watch the whole first video below a lot of the lads on the pitch were harmless but some lads demolished a bench/dug out. after tear gas was released to clear the pitch the people in the stand probably got it too and the whole stadium emptied quickly.

Cameroon were winning 1-0 in Algeria (1-1 on agg.) until the 118 minute when Algeria scored. BUT Cameroon scored in 120(+4) to go to the World Cup on away goals. (video lasts 2:10)

in a more straight forward tie Morocco beat DR Congo (clip lasts 2:10 again)

Canada topping the CONCACAF group and reaching their 2nd ever World Cup has to be one of the big surprise stories in world football of the last few years.. They were totally hopeless when I was living there 10 years ago, outside the top 100 in the rankings and not even making the final qualifying group. They've some very talented young players (Alphonso Davies at Bayern being the obvious star), I'd make them dark horses for a quarter final spot, pending a reasonable draw. Planning to mostly ignore the Qatar tournament because of all the horrible bullshit around it but I'm still fascinated to see the group draw tomorrow..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back