2020-21 Football thread (5 Viewers)

Super covid spreading though, looking at the fans.

I watched the first half in the pub, so I'm as guilty as anyone, but seems like I thankfully missed the most chaotic chaos.

England Italy final was always going to be a lot more craic than a Italy Denmark final, let's be fair.

Endless stream of shite on Sky Sports for days to put up with though. Hmmm.

The only English player that would have a shot at getting on for Italy is Sterling. England, play like Italy? They'd actually have to learn how to play football, wouldn't they? Busquets easily out-cheated the Italians last night on his own. Difference between Italy and England is that Italy can actually pass the ball and know how to score without relying on the ref. Look at their goal against Spain, pure no bullshit counter attack started by the goalkeeper throwing the ball out quick from the edge of his own box and ending with a goal 12 seconds later. You won't see England scoring a goal like that, unless they're already about 4-0 up and the other team has given up defending altogether.

The Denmark match there was coming a mile off - another bullshit decision for England at Wembley. Another, you say? Yes, because anyone watching the Ukraine match will have seen England get a free kick for Harry Kane diving, from which they scored the second goal that really ended the match (at 1-0, Ukraine were still getting the odd chance at an equaliser).
The VAR system is a mockery though. I've said it since they brought it in, what's the point of having it at all if they're not going to use it properly? They brought this VAR system in, and then the refs are just giving big teams bullshit decisions anyway either without consulting it at all, or even worse by consulting it and STILL making the wrong decision.
Basically, the refs right now have absolutely fuck all control over how games are being played. Every match, first cunt that goes down and starts rolling about, automatic yellow card. First cunt that runs up to shout at the referee, automatic yellow card. Keep at this shit until the players start to learn how to behave. It's a huge problem in modern football, everybody knows that the reason all these players are going down and rolling about at the slightest touch is that there are absolutely no negative consequences for it, because the refs just don't have the guts to book people for it. Busquets got a free kick against Italy literally just by screaming loudly - the replay showed there was fuck all contact, he just lost the ball and screamed and was given a free kick.
Fuck it, I say send the divers off on the first offence, see how they like that shit.

Anyway nice to see the cunts are a disgrace anyway. Harry Kane, total diving cunt. Sterling, diving cunt. Maguire, just a cunt really. Neville, bringing Grealish on after 65 minutes or so, then taking him off again in extra time, LOL.

I'd say Italy will easily beat England in the final, and they would, except who can bet against some total bullshit red card or some other woeful decision to totally fuck them? Just look at the shit they have benefitted from so far - should have had 2 reds against Germany, just yellows instead, free kicks for dives, a penalty for a dive; there's nothing to suggest that they won't benefit from more bullshit decisions in the final, at Wembley.

OK watched BBC highlights to see what they made of it:

Jermaine Jenas was commentating and thought it was a penalty.

Lineker said contact was minimal but it was a just about a penalty.

it was also agreed by all three that if the ref had NOT awarded the penalty that the VAR would not have given it either.

Shearer said:
''There's a little touch but I'm not sure there's enough,
- it's very soft.
I'd be (pauses) I'd be pretty angry if that was given again us''

Ten years ago Ireland won 4-0 away to Estonia in the first leg of a Euro qualifier playoff.
Estonia had two guys sent off (the first for a second yellow for a foul on Robbie K who had intercepted a farcical back pass and an unwarranted second second-yellow sending off for handball. there was also a soft penalty to make it 4-0)
to compound all this John Delaney had the nerve to go onto the pitch and hog the celebrations afterwards while the Estonian fans left the stadium having no good memories of the biggest match in their history.
the general feeling on thumped afterwards was there was nothing to celebrate, it was an empty hollow anti climax (thread link below)
a few of you will remember posting on this thread. there was plenty empathy for Estonia.
also the legendary phrase 'JAR OF AIDS' is introduced by Hector Grey in post #67.

for whatever reason the English media didn't really bother to think how Denmark must feel to go out like that. Winning like that against a small country should never be satisfying.

Here's the ITV lads - Keano, Wrighty and Gary Nev.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Keane tells it like it is, so pretty much does Gaz. Wrighty is biased as usual when it comes to England (but was very entertaining to watch after the 2018 World Cup semi).

Danish press conference after match:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

polite gents about what happened

England are good, but christ they're a bit blunt up front. Is Kane really the best striker they have? Looks a decent player, but not exactly clinical goalscoring material. I don't really watch a lot of football, but he's the poorest first-choice striker they must ever have had, comparing with the likes of Fowler, Lineker, Shearer, etc.

They go through with an OG and a goal that shouldn't have been a goal. There's something almost fateful about that. That entire nation can't do anything honestly.

OK watched BBC highlights to see what they made of it:

Jermaine Jenas was commentating and thought it was a penalty.

Lineker said contact was minimal but it was a just about a penalty.

it was also agreed by all three that if the ref had NOT awarded the penalty that the VAR would not have given it either.

Shearer said:
''There's a little touch but I'm not sure there's enough,
- it's very soft.
I'd be (pauses) I'd be pretty angry if that was given again us''

Ten years ago Ireland won 4-0 away to Estonia in the first leg of a Euro qualifier playoff.
Estonia had two guys sent off (the first for a second yellow for a foul on Robbie K who had intercepted a farcical back pass and an unwarranted second second-yellow sending off for handball. there was also a soft penalty to make it 4-0)
to compound all this John Delaney had the nerve to go onto the pitch and hog the celebrations afterwards while the Estonian fans left the stadium having no good memories of the biggest match in their history.
the general feeling on thumped afterwards was there was nothing to celebrate, it was an empty hollow anti climax (thread link below)
a few of you will remember posting on this thread. there was plenty empathy for Estonia.
also the legendary phrase 'JAR OF AIDS' is introduced by Hector Grey in post #67.

for whatever reason the English media didn't really bother to think how Denmark must feel to go out like that. Winning like that against a small country should never be satisfying.
That thread is pretty good shit, hahahaha

Great quote here:

`'Retaining possession is not necessarily the thing that wins matches. It is for some teams. I'd be very surprised if we suffer any really bad defeats and hopefully we can pull a win out of the bag somewhere and get out of the group.`'

Hmmmmmm haha

England are good, but christ they're a bit blunt up front. Is Kane really the best striker they have? Looks a decent player, but not exactly clinical goalscoring material. I don't really watch a lot of football, but he's the poorest first-choice striker they must ever have had, comparing with the likes of Fowler, Lineker, Shearer, etc.
Woah there, Jesse.

Kane is rightly regarded to be having a stinker of a tournament, yet it's not really a reflection of him in form. He's not the typical striker anyroad, definitely not a goalhanger like their reserve striker DCL...his workrate is unreal... watch him for Tottenham in general, link up with Son etc. He'll be off to City anyway and will be potting them into buckets next season.

The other thing is maybe he's not arsed. Maybe he has a brain in his head and he's just not that patriotic - but doesn't want to be pilloried on media by Nigel Farage types for abstaining from playing for his country... imagine the senseless death threats the country's top striker would receive if he went, "fuck this playing for England nonsense."

I'd say he's either fatigued from the season, or he's running about 40% normal fuel.

Woah there, Jesse.

Kane is rightly regarded to be having a stinker of a tournament, yet it's not really a reflection of him in form. He's not the typical striker anyroad, definitely not a goalhanger like their reserve striker DCL...his workrate is unreal... watch him for Tottenham in general, link up with Son etc. He'll be off to City anyway and will be potting them into buckets next season.

The other thing is maybe he's not arsed. Maybe he has a brain in his head and he's just not that patriotic - but doesn't want to be pilloried on media by Nigel Farage types for abstaining from playing for his country... imagine the senseless death threats the country's top striker would receive if he went, "fuck this playing for England nonsense."

I'd say he's either fatigued from the season, or he's running about 40% normal fuel.
thats fair and I'd like to believe all of that is true. He seems a real nice lad and the grandda from Letterfrack is something more to like about him.

I remember one thing I always thought about watching England down the years was how common it was for top players at club level, to vastly underperform. It was as if just playing for England was enough of a reward for them and that winning never really mattered. I suppose there could have been a shitload of internal politics too, or maybe lads simply didn't like each other.

As Richie Sadlier rightly said last night, you couldn't pick out a bad egg from this bunch. If they were all playing together on a club team, we'd all really like that club team.

They're absolutely where they should be right now. Its become fairly apparent over the last few years that they actually do have world class players again. Their bench alone would be the envy of most other countries. It was surely only a matter of time before that translated to actual success.

I still hope they lose on sunday, but if they do win it shouldn't be too hard to console ourselves by the fact that a bunch of decent lads who are genuinely top players, will have Euro medals. But its the fucking supporters who go and ruin everything.

Well said.
thats fair and I'd like to believe all of that is true. He seems a real nice lad and the grandda from Letterfrack is something more to like about him.

I remember one thing I always thought about watching England down the years was how common it was for top players at club level, to vastly underperform. It was as if just playing for England was enough of a reward for them and that winning never really mattered. I suppose there could have been a shitload of internal politics too, or maybe lads simply didn't like each other.

As Richie Sadlier rightly said last night, you couldn't pick out a bad egg from this bunch. If they were all playing together on a club team, we'd all really like that club team.

They're absolutely where they should be right now. Its become fairly apparent over the last few years that they actually do have world class players again. Their bench alone would be the envy of most other countries. It was surely only a matter of time before that translated to actual success.

I still hope they lose on sunday, but if they do win it shouldn't be too hard to console ourselves by the fact that a bunch of decent lads who are genuinely top players, will have Euro medals. But its the fucking supporters who go and ruin everything.
Rees-Mogg - who couldn't give a shit about a pleb activity like football actually quoted John Barnes lines from World In Motion in parliament today.
Fuck off and don't try and jump on the football bandwagon you fucking Tory slags.

The media in England are insufferable and are by far the biggest reason I don't like the England team.

You wouldn't ever get me waving a tricolour and I am critical of most nationalistic crap and have often pointed out things in Irishness that I think are shit.
But English nationalism is a more toxic brand and waving the St George flag is getting into very dodgy territory.
It wasn't so long ago Rule Britannica was sang several times by England supporters at every home game. Thank fuck all those soldiers aren't on the pitch at the Euros matches.

Apart from Pickford and Rice, all the rest of the squad I haven't really any problem with. same with Southgate and his staff.
He's taken a lot of toxic crap out of the England team set up.

A bunch of working class kids made good some of whom actually have led the debate on important social issues and put themselves at odds with the conservative establishment and media deserve credit.

But still - Forza Italia!

Is that your own video or something you saw online somewhere?

To be fair, that is far from the worst thing I've ever seen proud english people do. I'm jealous of that kid doing a wheelie on his bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back