2019 End of year lists (1 Viewer)

Big Thief deserve a mention too for two albums, five deadly singles and a good set in Vicar st. Best 2018 album I didn't get around to until this year - Sumac, Love in Shadow.

No it shouldn't, shush Shaney.

If the charts were still a thing this should have been top of the pops for a good month tbh

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does anyone else find it happening that they go through end of year lists and think "Wow, I've missed out on so many good albums, I must listen to all these", download them and then listen to them commuting in and out of work, and then find you can't really can't get in to them because travelling to work at this time of year is generally fucking horrendous.

I download and listen to new albums all the time but there are too many of them and I don't don't properly get to grips with them so they get forgotten when the next new ones arrive. Then, when I do have a time I go and listen to some classic rock that I've been listening to since I was a teenager.

Yeah, there is so much music that's easily available now,.... or even what I have at home that it's hard to really listen & absorb albums like I did when I only had a handful of records & cassettes. First world problems eh....

The great "democraticization" of listening and the removal of non-centralized gatekeepers (local music press/local charts/ local anything) has meant you either trust your streaming service algorithm/whoever is paying them to put songs on their playlists, or you're on your own.

Cate Le Bon's Reward is probably my favourite of the year. After @hermie recommending Mug Museum as a good starting point for her, her most recent one I kept on going back to. picked up the physical album last month.

posted about it on worth a listen thread but Uzun Havalar by Anadol is a gem.

Flora by Polypores was a great ambient find.

Really enjoyed that Mary Somerville record too.

The stuff I liked most from this year, in no particular order was:

Laura Stevenson: The Big Freeze Album
Pup: Morbid Stuff
The new American Football album
The new Chemical Brothers album
Purple Mountains
Gum Takes Tooth (must listen to that again)
Girl Band: The Talkies
The new Bats album
Torche: Admission
Ezra Furman: 12 Nudes
Julia Jacklin: Crushing
The new Sleater-Kinney

Album: Lankum - The Livelong Day
Song: Big Thief - Not
Gig: A tie between Better Oblivion Community Centre - Vicar St & Maggie Rogers - Academy

couple of honourable irish mentions to that Ordnance Survey album Relative Phase too. Really nice mellow electronic listen from Mr former Somadrone

and also that instrumental solo acoustic guitar record by Jonny Dillon

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Favourite gig was Fauna on this tour

The Guardian finally got their shit together

I stand by all the bad things I said about the Lana Del Ray album

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back