2019 albums worth a listen..... (1 Viewer)

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
I really like this

"Combining the lulling ambiance of shoegaze with the iconic melodies and vocal prowess of classic American country music, outlaw cowboy, Orville Peck croons about love and loss from the badlands of North America. The resulting sound is entirely his own. He takes the listener down desert highways, through a world where worn out gamblers, road-dogs, and lovesick hustlers drift in and out of his masked gaze. "
Giving this a listen now - enjoyable!

Nate Champion

Threads

Oof, this is out in a month. Can't listen because my phone is too slow. Caught them live two years ago as an adjunct to the main SUMAC performance, so I'm imagining it'll be a smoldering, face-melting blackhole of white noise feedback with Brian Cook there to steady proceedings on bass.

Nate Champion

Threads

Suck Eggs by Spring Breeding.

Lamped some live footage of this Las Vegas skronky no-wave unit on someone's IG account and lobbed them into bandcamp.

Skronky, dissonant yet peppy no-wave fare.

And it's almost free to purchase.

GARYXKNIFEDX

Supporter
Threads
Website
Visit site

Kebab Disco is the debut LP from Bay Area trio Neutrals, following the release of two well-received promotional cassette demos. On the album, the group channels a wide range of 70s and 80s punk, post-punk, and indie pop influences.

In the accompanying zine/lyric booklet, the band describe the first side of the record as “the art school suite”: the action kicks off in Glasgow, Scotland, with tales of artistic jealousy, petty theft, late night psychedelic excursions, burgeoning romance, and a betrayal. By the beginning of side B, the protagonist has emigrated to the perceived mecca of San Francisco, only to be met with ghosts of the past, a shifting demographic, and a self-satisfied post-counterculture consumerist class. While not strictly autobiographical, this mirrors the personal experience of Scottish singer/guitarist Allan McNaughton.

“Paying some serious stylistic debts to the transitional period between post-punk and C86 in the early-to-mid ‘80s UK underground—had they actually existed back then, NEUTRALS could have fit on the Cherry Red roster next to the MONOCHROME SET just as easily as they could have on Creation Records alongside MEAT WHIPLASH.” – Erika Elizabeth, Maximumrocknroll

“endearing and addictive jangly indie/punk with guitars ripped from deep cuts from the Rough Trade and 4AD catalogues.” – Terminal Escape blog

Neutrals are Allan McNaughton (Giant Haystacks, Airfix Kits) on guitar and vocals, Phil Benson (Terry Malts, Magic Bullets) on bass and vocals, and Phil Lantz (Cocktails, Razz, Airfix Kits) on drums. They live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

rettucs

Supporter
Threads
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I'm starting to warm to the new Divine Comedy album. I was a 'super-fan' around 20 years ago. Their/His last 5 albums have been a bit meh so needless to say expectations were low for this new one (considering it's left-over material from the last album).

It took a few goes to get through the whole thing. It's a 'double-album' which means there's loads of songs on it.

Still doesn't get close to the stuff he did in his first 5/6 albums, but there's some really good stuff on there. Such as this

I'm terrified at the thoughts of how much this is gonna cost on vinyls. I might sell my car or something to get a copy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Spotify Singles
    Dreams - Recorded at Spotify Studios NYC
    Japanese Breakfast
    Spotify Singles
  • Change
    Memory
    Cindy Wilson
    Change

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads