2018 albums worth a listen..... (1 Viewer)

Loving this new comp from Music From Memory, who are knocking it out of the park these days:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, but their LPs are insanely expensive when you factor in their OTT P&P.

Been listening to this today:

On first listen the new Manics album continues their trend of making great "soundscapes" with no good songs and clunky as hell lyrics. On the plus side I listened to Gold Against the Soul this week and it's still great!

On first listen the new Manics album continues their trend of making great "soundscapes" with no good songs and clunky as hell lyrics. On the plus side I listened to Gold Against the Soul this week and it's still great!

I've only had one listen and as usual I really like some of it but it's not too long before a dodgy lyric ruins the moment. Apparently Sleepflower is on the tour setlist. I'm skipping Wembley (in favour of going to the Tigercats album launch) and going to seem them at Meltdown instead.

I've only had one listen and as usual I really like some of it but it's not too long before a dodgy lyric ruins the moment. Apparently Sleepflower is on the tour setlist. I'm skipping Wembley (in favour of going to the Tigercats album launch) and going to seem them at Meltdown instead.
I suspect International Blue might creep up on me the same way It's Not a War did, but some of the rest... I can't get past just how clunky Nicky's lyrics can be. I have to put some blame on James though, there's just this disconnect between what's he's playing and what he's singing.

To my knowledge they're not playing anywhere in IRL, although they tend do to pop up at random festivals.

Thingy : Morbid Curiosity

6950647.jpg

Y'all know what a Rob Crow obsessive I am. I heard John Peel play a track from the debut Thingy LP, and was gobsmacked by it. By chance Virgin on the quays had a copy of it and I ran home and devoured the LP in a mild panic. Loved it, and the follow up.

So then Pinback took off and took up his time, and among his myriad other projects and personal and label stuff the third Thingy LP was never competed and languished on a hard drive since around 2001. I never thought it would see the light of day, along with the backlog of other things Rob had been recording.

Joyful Noise stepped in this year and announced that as their Artist in Residence they would be releasing *9* new Rob Crow records this year, and tucked in amongst the list was Thingy. I could hardly believe it.

Spent stupid money joining up for the box set, and the Thingy LP was surprised released last Thursday. And it's great! I mean, it would be unlikely for me to think otherwise but to try and look at it objectively, it's still great! But it's difficult and mathy and vicious in a way the previous Thingy records weren't. There is little respite, it's frenetic as hell, it descends into chaos but then pivots on the sweetest of melodies.

Anyway, I've been buried deep in this record for the last few days. It isn't streaming anywhere yet and is only available for Joyful Noise subscribers, which will cost you $70 right now, but I think it'll get a regular release later in the year. Worth waiting for!

This one is in the post. Another release on the fantastic clay pipe music. Once again on these threads, fans of ghost box releases etc. Should like this. Galactic sounds by retep folo

Why are they not 25 mins long though. Still lovely.

I picked up a tune by this lad last year for a mix and it was deadly. He just popped up again recently with a new album. Its got a great sound. Worth a listen. All sorts of influences going on. I'm really digging it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back