2018 albums worth a listen..... (1 Viewer)

New MGMT album..interesting but ultimately a miss.

Mind you its only the first one I've ever checked out but it left me cold.

On the other hand the new Kamasi Washington record is good..possibly even great but Im not there yet

Also...Im Eagerly awaiting this work of art in its entirety!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

On the other hand the new Kamasi Washington record is good..possibly even great but Im not there yet

Loved his last album. Gave the new one a spin the other day and it sounds great, but there's so much of it. Apparently there's a hidden album (as opposed to hidden track) with the some formats of the album. Dunno, maybe it's a little bit much.

I like to pretend I loved his last album but I mostly just play The Rhythm Changes on repeat and never play the other 70 hours of it except as background music.

Loved his last album. Gave the new one a spin the other day and it sounds great, but there's so much of it. Apparently there's a hidden album (as opposed to hidden track) with the some formats of the album. Dunno, maybe it's a little bit much.
Yeah..Im inclined to think old Kamasi needs to get a bit more concise with his albums,theres a bit too much rambling on.Put the best 45 mins out and call it done

Finally got around to listening to that SOPHIE album...

Proper musical edgelord stuff - meta-deconstructive pop music by people who hate anyone who actually likes pop music. They clearly think they've figured out the formula to hack the charts and the New York Times and Pitchfork cover it because they're too afraid to be seen as old and out of touch.

It's not completely bad, or it's at least very in-your-face clever and there's a lineage of this stuff by people like Sigue Sigue Sputnik and the KLF that it's connecting to (In fact you can probably trace it all back at least as far as Zappa who, to be fair, was straight up about his contempt for pop music) but it's fairly lacking any of the genuinely swooning feelings that great pop brings out in you.

I sort of feel this stuff (meaning people who say things like "MY MAIN INFLUENCES ARE BRAND NAMES AND ADVERTS") comes around every time pop music loses its way and is usually killed by an artist that actually excites people having a hit.

My prediction is that it's doomed to be forgotten by the time their fans finish college, but, then again, in this ultra-connected world featuring Twitter, Trump and Brexit who knows, we may be doomed to have to deal with this kind of nonsense being bigged up as revolutionary for all eternity.

Last edited:
Just throwing on this one now, I ADMIT I'M LOVING IT SO FAR, even if there's a lot of this going on

tenor.gif

new album from 77:78, the band that the lads from the Bees have on the go at the moment.

curious to hear what it's like, but if its from those lads it's deffo worth the listen

they were. This album didn't grab me on first listen. Will give it another go.
Same same..there was a couple of bits interested me...the chorus on Shepard Song is strong.

I must say though on first impression I thought the production had a certain...cheapness.
Its a bit grainy

I was listening to the Cars directly before it and the comparison did 77:78 no favours

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back