2016 releases worth a listen.... (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill Baird - Earth Into Aether

Came out a week ago. I'd only ever heard one song by him before, on one of those Indiecater christmas compilations.

This album (on first listen), is great. Theres a song called Dear Friend. Beatles-esque harmonies on it. Lovely altogether.

The song posted above is one of the more upbeat songs on it.

I like this.

Part 1 is on spotify. According to the Rough Trade mailout (http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/98915) its a 19-song album, so I guess Part 1 only represents half of this.

james yorkston/jon thorne/suhail yusuf khan - everything sacred

supposedly a 'trio' record but the emphasis seems to be on yorkston's songs (not a bad thing at all), albeit with longer musical/improv passages. thorne's bass and khan's sarangi and voice are constants, but on first listen it feels more like j.y. + guests than a proper group. major negative is the pollution by the execrable vocals of ireland's own lisa o'neill whose voice manages to embody the worst elements of both dolores keane and dolores o'riordan.

actually, the more it goes on, i'm getting more of a group feel. there's a thorne-sung tune and plenty of khan vocals.

will buy.

james yorkston/jon thorne/suhail yusuf khan - everything sacred

supposedly a 'trio' record but the emphasis seems to be on yorkston's songs (not a bad thing at all), albeit with longer musical/improv passages. thorne's bass and khan's sarangi and voice are constants, but on first listen it feels more like j.y. + guests than a proper group. major negative is the pollution by the execrable vocals of ireland's own lisa o'neill whose voice manages to embody the worst elements of both dolores keane and dolores o'riordan.

actually, the more it goes on, i'm getting more of a group feel. there's a thorne-sung tune and plenty of khan vocals.

will buy.
chased these guys around youtube til late last night. some decent samples of their work out there. they've re-done three or four yorkston originals as well as a couple of ivor cutler covers.

wound up listening to this until 3a.m.

not new but i'd never seen footage of tarun bhattacharya before (never looked) and here he is playing raag kirwani, one of my favourites. love the pluvial quality of the santoor.

major negative is the pollution by the execrable vocals of ireland's own lisa o'neill whose voice manages to embody the worst elements of both dolores keane and dolores o'riordan.
She supported Bonnie Prince Billy here a while ago and my wife and I kept waiting for the punchline, her performance turned out not to be a joke. I can listen to some rough sounding voices, completely atonal caterwauling and sheets of noise but her voice cut through me like a knife.

She supported Bonnie Prince Billy here a while ago and my wife and I kept waiting for the punchline, her performance turned out not to be a joke. I can listen to some rough sounding voices, completely atonal caterwauling and sheets of noise but her voice cut through me like a knife.
yeah, i was there. it was horrendous. couldn't decide if i found the lyrics ("england's got my maaaan...") or the voice (an amalgam of trapped animal and spoilt-toddler-doing-the-forced-cry) more offensive.

She knocks out a fair dirge alright.

Makes a new change from the cookie cutter guitar tippers

yeah, i was there. it was horrendous. couldn't decide if i found the lyrics ("england's got my maaaan...") or the voice (an amalgam of trapped animal and spoilt-toddler-doing-the-forced-cry) more offensive.
Oh god, I forgot about the lyrics. Everything seemed to rhyme like a nursery rhyme: old, bold, told, hold, cold...

The New album from The Shrine is doing it for me this week

currently listening to the new Prins Thomas album on npr first listen. sounds great so far, according to the write-up, it takes off in the last 30 mins (album's running time is 100 mins). twenty odd minutes i've heard are pretty inoffensive melodic ambient sounding tunes. file under cosmic disco. must throw on that Lindstrom album Where You Go I Go Too, its been a while. (think i might have thrown it into the album club list actually)
edit: can't seem to embed npr link

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back