1991 (1 Viewer)

I was 9. The White Room, Nevermind, Diamonds & Pearls, 10 & Bandwagonesque were all staples in our house. I can't believe I was only 9. I look at my nieces and nephews now and they don't seem to listen to any music. Benefit of having older siblings I suppose.

Solo in the Concept is still my blueprint for guitar.

Nevermind and Ten are the only ones I cared about at the time on that list.

91 for me was Melvins,Sleep,Born Against,Rorschach,Pegboy,Fugazi, probably loads of stuff from 90 catching up,and always loads of older punk and hardcore

Some good stuff there alright (KLF, Orbital, MBV) but I'll have these anyday:
R-466038-1300867767.jpeg.jpg

R-3157301-1318372523.jpeg.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

turned 17 in '91. something of a red-letter year, musically and personally, or, arguably, when the rot set in.

went to athens, ga for the summer after 5th year, on my own, to stay with a penpal (23 y.o. lady) - smoked my first weed, did my first (and last) coke, saw hole (pre-kurt) and hung out with courtney & caroline, saw vic chesnutt in the 40 watt, ate cornbread at the grit most days.

sebadoh iii, babyteeth, seamonsters, trompe le monde, goat, green mind

pixies in the point, sonic youth/nirvana in the top hat, dinosaur in mcgonagles, started going to local (hope promotions) gigs.

good, good times.

The best year. I was happily unemployed for 11/12ths of it. Within the space of a few months I got to see Gorilla Biscuits and Quicksand play; Ten came out (bought it on US import, in one of them crazy elongated cardboard boxes they used to have over there), got a c90 with Nevermind on it from Harry ("I think you'll like this..."). Oh and I met my wife.

The best year.

Using discogs I found a few more released then I was into.

Superchunk-no pocky for kitty
Green Day-kerplunk
Nations on Fire lp and7"
Nuisance-confusion hill
Samiam-soar
Citizens Arrest lp

I was 19 and living on next to nothing in Galway, subsisting on bargain-bin tapes which included best of albums from The Archies and Tommy Steele, the only contemporary release I can remember stumping up for was 'Loveless'.

what I can remember is that there were ravers, metallers and smiths/cure heads. The smiths/cure heads were starting to morph into indie kids and were listening moreso to stone roses and emerging 'britpop' bands. Wedding Present were still on the go but people were losing interest. Stock/Aiken/Waterman were almost dead but chart music was awful shite from the likes of 2Unlimited and VengaBoys. Fucking Bryan Adams and that Everything I do song was everywhere and drove people mental. On the other hand we had Terminator 2 and those 2 Guns'n'Roses albums.

Feile was on and this was the lineup (back when festivals were still good)

Féile Festival - Wikipedia

I can remember bunking off school sports day to walk into town to watch The La's play a free lunchtime gig in Trinity College. I totally underestimated the length of the walk and ended up missing them.

a.k.a. the year punk broke:

'1991 The Year Punk's Heart Broke' ... really though, that dream of the underground breaking through turned out fairly miserable. Music seemed much happier in the back of a transit van eating noodles.

ok right so ANYWAY

the lad getting the autograph on the inside out Easons bag O'Connell Bridge? Who is he? Where is he now? Does he still have the Easons bag? or the scooter? Did he send a photo to thurston moore?

Says 90 on yt, but 91, I believe. Puts your Sonic Youths and your MBVs into a cocked hat.

Righteous guitars - the accumulation of Rhys Chatham, Glenn Branca etc into solid gold songwriting.

Last edited:

Says 90 on yt, but 91, I believe. Puts your Sonic Youths and your MBVs into a cocked hat.

Righteous guitars - the accumulation of Rhys Chatham, Glenn Branca etc into solid gold songwriting.

Such an underrated band

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back