1984 Irish punk 'scene' report. Nazi bands and Skinhead gangs? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Vin
  • Start date
  • Replies 54
  • Views 20K
  • Watchers 7
That dude says Abnormal were a racist band which they may well have been although I'm not so sure.There was'nt much point in being a racist in coolock in the early 80's.There was only white doley heads in the gaf for a start.I'm gonna have to make some inquiries about this.
I dunno about that. We had shit put through our letterbox in our gaff on Tonlegee Road in the early 80s. More Raheny than Coolock, but pretty close. Seemed pretty racist to me as a clued up 3 year old, but in fairness it probably wasn't a racist band! :eek:

must be some other crowd. there's no way nun attax could've been mistaken for skinheads or nazis. on the topic of nun attax, there's a deadly documentary on giordai ua laoghaire here ... May Fame
... giordai mainly moves in sound art circles these days. i have a copy of an audio documentary ucc campus radio made on finbarr donnelly a few years back lying around somewhere too ... i can upload it if anyone wants a copy

That documentary was class, does anyone have any 9 Wassies from Bainne?

I dunno about that. We had shit put through our letterbox in our gaff on Tonlegee Road in the early 80s. More Raheny than Coolock, but pretty close. Seemed pretty racist to me as a clued up 3 year old, but in fairness it probably wasn't a racist band! :eek:

Abnormal used to practice in the same place as Paranoid Visions off Capel St and as far as I can remember both bands played a gig or two together when PV were known as Insane Youth. This was around 1982.Abnormal recorded quite a good demo around then (they were quite good musicians) and had a deadly song on it called Tribal War which was about the stupidity of different youth cultures fighting each other (Punks and Mods were knocking fuck out of each other in the city centre on a regular basis at the time).As for being Nazis I don't remember anything like that about them.If anything I would say they were pretty un-political in general.Maybe somebody else knows different.I percieved them as Coolock casuals playing punk.

Abnormal used to practice in the same place as Paranoid Visions off Capel St and as far as I can remember both bands played a gig or two together when PV were known as Insane Youth. This was around 1982.Abnormal recorded quite a good demo around then (they were quite good musicians) and had a deadly song on it called Tribal War which was about the stupidity of different youth cultures fighting each other (Punks and Mods were knocking fuck out of each other in the city centre on a regular basis at the time).As for being Nazis I don't remember anything like that about them.If anything I would say they were pretty un-political in general.Maybe somebody else knows different.I percieved them as Coolock casuals playing punk.

I remember Tribal War alright.Great tune if I'm not mistaken although I was only 10 at the time.

March, 1984 'scene' report on the Irish punk scene:

[SIZE=-1]http://www.operationphoenixrecords.com/mrrissue12_15CarolinasGeorgiaIrelandandUKSceneReports.pdf[/SIZE]

Mentions of irish nazi punk/Oi! bands:

The Abnormal.

Burning Cross.

Has anyone heard of them?

Plus, it mentions reasons for gig violence diminishing because of ''disbanding of some of the bigger skinhead gangs:''

Rattlesnacks.
Nun Attacks.
Scum.
Skullcaps.
F Troop.
Feet First.
Black Catholics.

Any info on these too?

I've only ever heard of the Black Cathoilcs. There's a thread on the forum at the moment about them.

I think the Black Catholics were more of a group of Punks who hung around town and went to the Dandelion Market gigs making a nuisance of themselves.Did'nt Nun Attacks become Microdisney or five Go down To The Sea or something.Not exactly raving boneheads by any stretch of the imagination.As for SCUM, i remember Big Kev and Angus(Napsalm Sunday) with that on the back of their leather jackets but it was never a band , more of a statement I think.Keltic Klan were another good band but certainly not Nazis.You've got to remember bands were still using a lot of words and imagery that was simply designed to shock and cause controversy just to shake people up.Irish Punk is a much more politically correct beast than it was back then.Keltic Klan went on to become Last Rokkers whose singer was Harry Callahan from Dread Messiah and about as far away from fascism as it's possible to be.I think the guy who wrote the original scene report has lumped a few names together and branded it all "Nazi".Never heard of the other names he mentions and could have been right wing for all i know.

You've got to remember bands were still using a lot of words and imagery that was simply designed to shock and cause controversy just to shake people up.Irish Punk is a much more politically correct beast than it was back then.
Indeed, I owned the Sid Vicious long red sleeved tee shirt with the swastika on it and also had the Destroy t-shirt...1980

27 years at least... :)
Smash hits?
I see Cockney Rejects greatest hits vol 1, Angelic Upstarts Teenage warning, Uk Subs Another kInd of Blues/Brand new age, Stranglers X-certs and 70's wallpaper. :eek:

Thats the Cockney Rejects.... I did used to buy Smash hits in those days, it was only the 2nd ever mag to have the lyrics to songs...
Remember this was the days wayyyyyyyyyyyy b4 the internet highway.

Thats the Cockney Rejects.... I did used to buy Smash hits in those days, it was only the 2nd ever mag to have the lyrics to songs...
Remember this was the days wayyyyyyyyyyyy b4 the internet highway.

WHAT THE FUK DID U BUY SMASH HITS FOR? WELL APART FROM SABRINA

hi

yes you are dead right, abnormal played twice with insane youth and at least twice with paranoid visions. They definately were not nazis, they were just a great bunch of lads from coolock who outplayed everyone else in the scene. I remember that scene review and it was all bollocks actually, one character trying to paint dublin out as being altogether more interesting than it was. He worked in a bank.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back