• Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
Anyone done it?

I want a pink telecaster but they can't be had so I'm thinking of building one from a kit. Just for a project.

Anyone done it?

I want a pink telecaster but they can't be had so I'm thinking of building one from a kit. Just for a project.

I've done both full on parts builds and a kit build

all but the highest of high end ones have either crap hardware and/or electrics - wooden bits probably grand in most of them, but cheaper woods used in the cheaper ones.
so you'd need to upgrade at least some of the bits.

parts build is less wasteful, but you have to source all the elements separately.

were I to do a kit build again, I'd probably actually start with this as a base:

3 part ash body, maple neck, and even the nonfunctional fixings stuff like neck screws etc would probably set you back more than that bought separately.

I talked about it here before but we built a Strat Kit. It's a piece of shit.
I was going to build an acoustic but Mark advised me against it, saying that there's stuff a luthier would get right that I just wouldn't, and I could spend the same money on a great acoustic instead of a wonky homemade thing. So that's what I did. He was being nice and was right, of course, I couldn't hammer a nail straight.

Yeah.I'm gonna go with buying all the parts separately so. I'm handy I can make it work.

If its a dog at least itll be a good looking one!

Yeah.I'm gonna go with buying all the parts separately so. I'm handy I can make it work.

If its a dog at least itll be a good looking one!

the tele I made a while ago that you had a spin on was actually made from a body and neck from Gear4music believe it or not.

most recent parts were from a guy on ebay.uk 'wild rainbow music' - he has nice stuff but given changed circumstances you may get reamed by customs.

there's also a seller selling factory second bodies - booboo.com or something - some relative bargains there

I'm still well into doing this but the thought of painting it is putting me off

I like the look of this one ..ebony fretboard!

I think unless you have either a lot well ventilated space and are willing to try out rattle cans, or actual proper skills and equipment a spray finish is not a goer.

I've gotten reasonable finishes with danish oil - although its not without its drawbacks. you could conceivably do this pretty much anywhere you can open and window and leave it in one place to cure for a few days.

If I do another build I'm going to try shellac - I've been playing about with it on a few other projects and its easy enough to get a good, reasonably hard finish.

or if you know someone who finishes cars you could get them to spray it for ya, and do the neck in oil yourself

I think unless you have either a lot well ventilated space and are willing to try out rattle cans, or actual proper skills and equipment a spray finish is not a goer.

I've gotten reasonable finishes with danish oil - although its not without its drawbacks. you could conceivably do this pretty much anywhere you can open and window and leave it in one place to cure for a few days.

If I do another build I'm going to try shellac - I've been playing about with it on a few other projects and its easy enough to get a good, reasonably hard finish.

or if you know someone who finishes cars you could get them to spray it for ya, and do the neck in oil yourself

Shellac is very hard to get at the moment FYI

Shellac is very hard to get at the moment FYI

really? I got a bottle of pre-mixed french polish a few months ago. was toying with getting the flakes and making from scratch, but as I was dicking about as an experiment didn't want to invest too much.

I know its gotten really popular as a sanding sealer and such. and being a natural product is harvest to harvest dependent.

it has a lovely feel to it, I'd love to finish a neck with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back