Night Terrors (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
did i post this topic already? i tried but i think thumped fucked up (tsk)

does anyone else have these exciting things? Theyre harmless unless you injure yourself on something in the panic.
Night Terrors Symptoms: Sudden awakening from sleep, persistent fear or terror that occurs at night, screaming, sweating, confusion, rapid heart rate, inability to explain what happened, usually no recall of "bad dreams" or nightmares, may have a vague sense of frightening images. Many people see spiders, snakes, animals or people in the room, are unable to fully awake, difficult to comfort, with no memory of the event on awakening the next day.

Night Terror or Nightmare?: Nightmares occur during the dream phase of sleep known as REM sleep. Most people enter the REM stage of sleep sometime after 90 minutes of sleep. The circumstances of the nightmare will frighten the sleeper, who usually will wake up with a vivid memory of a long movie-like dream. Night terrors, on the other hand, occur during a phase of deep non-REM sleep usually within an hour after the subject goes to bed. This is also known as stage 4. (sleep stages chart) During a night terror, which may last anywhere from five to twenty minutes, the person is still asleep, although the sleepers eyes may be open. When the subject does wake up, they usually have no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear. This, however, is not always the case.
Type of dream: Night terrors
Incidence: 1 to 4% of children, declines with age. Rare in adults
Symptoms: Blood-curdling screams, Autonomic discharge, Limited recall
Sleep Stage: Deep sleep, early in sleep period (i.e., 1 to 3 a.m.) Stages 3 and 4 arousals on polysomnogram
Associated factors: No pathology in children, Psychiatric and neurologic disorders in adults
With the help of the internet I have diagnosed myself as having them (though without the associated substance abuse and affective disorders ). Apparently theyre quite rare in adults but i have them very regularly, sometimes several times a week. I had started to get used to them and not be too bothered but lately theyve been getting nasty again. When i remember any details its usually a snake/spider/rat in the bed although the other week i thought a huge eiffel tower like structure was falling on the house and i ran down stairs in a panic and was going to try and boot it down the street to safety but figured i was too late and would have to take my chances under the stairs where i woke up shortly after. Last night it was a highly venomous green snake in the bed with me and i woke up totally terrified and high-sterical with the bed clothes bunched up thinking i had the snake caught not very securely under there but i couldnt move anywhere in case it escaped again. Took me ages to calm down again! i dont think my screams were blood curdling though, im not sure but i think they were probably quite girly.

I usually sleep like a log, but am prone to the rare white-knuckle-rollercoaster-ride-of-the-soul-wake-up-screaming-for-mercy nightmare, which leaves you shaking as you grip your tea with one hand and the table with the other, singing Jerusalem under your breath.

Miss Piggy said:
usually a snake/spider/rat in the bed
Normally its insects in the pillow for me. Most recently: earwigs, although i have jumped out of the bed on more than one occasion convinced there were spiders on my face.

"normally" ha.

edit: i love the bit when you wake up... you know you're awake, you know it wasn't real, but are still shit scared to put head to pillow again. rockin.

ICUH8N said:
I usually sleep like a log, but am prone to the rare white-knuckle-rollercoaster-ride-of-the-soul-wake-up-screaming-for-mercy nightmare, which leaves you shaking as you grip your tea with one hand and the table with the other, singing Jerusalem under your breath.

Tea? Surely it would be stone cold?

I'm more of a horlicks/peddle/ruth rendall man meself.

Lefty Frizzell said:
Tea? Surely it would be stone cold?

I'm more of a horlicks/peddle/ruth rendall man meself.

I'm talking about "in the morning."

Personally, I'd substitute Morse for Rendell in the above list of entertainments, but not everyone is comfortable having a shuffle while John Thaw is on screen...

Damon_Kind said:
Also, anything featuring Bobby Davro in his prime is just asking for trouble.

Anyone staying at home from school watching tv in the mid to late 80s would have been aware of the daytime horror that was 'Lucky Ladders' with Lennie Bennett.

punch-host.jpg

He made daverz look like lenny bruce.

ICUH8N said:
I'm talking about "in the morning."

Personally, I'd substitute Morse for Rendell in the above list of entertainments, but not everyone is comfortable having a shuffle while John Thaw is on screen...

LEEEEWWWWISSSS!

Yeah fair enough.

i get these all the time, and i wouldn't have it any other way. regular sleep is boring and for the elderly. i need excitement, even while resting.

particularly enjoyable is waking up from one dream into another, about a dozen times in a row, one after the other. i wish i was dreaming right now.

miss piggy i watched a fascinating program on Narcolepsy, and what you described sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. see link here for info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

i'd advise consulting a doc if you're worried, as obviously i'm only going on a program i saw.

Miss Piggy said:
did i post this topic already? i tried but i think thumped fucked up (tsk)

does anyone else have these exciting things? Theyre harmless unless you injure yourself on something in the panic.

With the help of the internet I have diagnosed myself as having them (though without the associated substance abuse and affective disorders ). Apparently theyre quite rare in adults but i have them very regularly, sometimes several times a week. I had started to get used to them and not be too bothered but lately theyve been getting nasty again. When i remember any details its usually a snake/spider/rat in the bed although the other week i thought a huge eiffel tower like structure was falling on the house and i ran down stairs in a panic and was going to try and boot it down the street to safety but figured i was too late and would have to take my chances under the stairs where i woke up shortly after. Last night it was a highly venomous green snake in the bed with me and i woke up totally terrified and high-sterical with the bed clothes bunched up thinking i had the snake caught not very securely under there but i couldnt move anywhere in case it escaped again. Took me ages to calm down again! i dont think my screams were blood curdling though, im not sure but i think they were probably quite girly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back