Scorsese, Allen, Aronofsky&others join "FREE POLANSKI" petition (1 Viewer)

Virgin_Killer_alternate_cover.jpg

i like it

Wonder what Jack had to say about it, since it was his house and all....

cap001_1.jpg

"Well, Doc, I gotta tell ya...Its true, but she was 13 going on 35. Damn near had to sew my pants up, if you know what I mean. And just between you and me, Doc...when you got that little pink beaver staring right at you..not a man alive could turn it down..."

Wonder what Jack had to say about it, since it was his house and all....

"Well, Doc, I gotta tell ya...Its true, but she was 13 going on 35. Damn near had to sew my pants up, if you know what I mean. And just between you and me, Doc...when you got that little pink beaver staring right at you..not a man alive could turn it down..."

Every time i think of it I think of that quote - weird thing is when i seen OFOACN I was like 12 and I didn't think it seemed so bad... I feel like that episode of It's always Sunny in Philly - where Mac was never groomed :)

Dostoyevsky comes to mind...

"All people seem to be divided into "ordinary" and "extraordinary". The ordinary people must lead a life of strict obedience and have no right to transgress the law because ... they are ordinary. Whereas the extraordinary people have the right to commit any crime they like and transgress the law in any way just because they happen to be extraordinary."

tony parsehole lays it out

Roman Polanski must finally pay for his crime

By Tony Parsons 3/10/2009

He did the crime but not the time – so can some Tinseltown tosser please explain to me how Roman Polanski has become a victim?
Finally apprehended for his grotesque sexual abuse of a 13-year-old girl, the diminutive director had supporters shrieking for his immediate release.
Debra Winger appeared in a state of tearful outrage, acting as if nicking a 76-year-old paedophile was a monstrous miscarriage of justice.
Author Robert Harris, whose novel The Ghost was currently in production with Polanski, claims the arrest is, “disgusting… humiliating… monstrous”.
And actress Whoopi Goldberg claimed sodomising a child was not actually “rape-rape”.
Oh, that’s right, Whoopi, what’s wrong with anal sex between a Hollywood director and a drugged child, right?
Who are these cretins? Who are these apologists for child abuse? What planet do they come from?
Because Roman Polanski is an artist they want him to be given a get-out-of-jail-free card. It doesn’t work that way.
In 1977, when Polanski coaxed 13-year-old Samantha Geimer to a Hollywood mansion for a “photo-shoot”, he was at the height of his powers. It would be difficult to imagine someone with more sexual opportunities than the director of Chinatown. And yet the endless supply of starlets was not enough for our randy little sex dwarf. He wanted forbidden fruit. And he got caught.
But, before he could be sentenced, he fled America.
And despite all the accolades from luvvies like Harrison Ford, who collected Polanski’s Oscar for him in 2003, the director has been on the run ever since. If he had stayed in France – where they don’t mind a bit of child rape if you are a tortured artist – then he would have died in his bed.
But Polanski got arrogant – and it is exactly that kind of arrogance that led him to believe he could get away with sodomising a 13-year-old girl.
And as Polanski fights extradition to the United States, in Britain, a grubby little man named Matthew Knott has had his teaching career destroyed by a crime remarkably similar to Polanski’s.
Knott has been jailed for four years for having sex with a 13-year-old girl he groomed on the internet – the 21st century version of Roman Polanski’s “photo-shoot” ruse.
I would say Knott is getting off lightly. A 13-year-old girl is a child, not a woman. And if there are men who lack the moral compass to understand that fact, then they need to feel the full wrath of the law.
There is not one rule for a teacher like Matthew Knott and another for a world-famous director like Roman Polanski.
Child rape deserves a jail sentence.
And it doesn’t matter a damn that it was more than 30 years ago.
And it doesn’t matter a damn that Polanski’s mother died in Auschwitz or that his wife Sharon Tate died at the hands of the Manson Family.
Most people go through personal tragedy without being turned into child abusers. Justice has been a long time finding this sleazy little man.
But it has found him at last.

From http://chrismm.dreamwidth.org/577422.html?view=1709454:

A list of famous people who aren't supporting Polanski

Kevin Smith (verified Twitter)
Michael Cudlitz (Twitter)
Jay Smooth (Twitter)
Greg Grunberg (verified Twitter)
Luc Besson(Most of the way down the first page of the article)
Bill Maher (Twitter)
Lexa Doig (one more here) (Twitter)
Kirstie Alley (verified Twitter--not a single tweet here, just her Twitter page, because she is on FIRE and has been posting all day; her starting tweet is here. :D She made me cry a little bit.)
Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Twitter)
Noel Clarke (Twitter)
George Stromboulopoulos (Twitter; also see ide_cyan's comment for transcript of a talk show dealie)
Jewel (verified Twitter)
Jake Tapper (Twitter)
Toure (Twitter)
Andy Borowitz (Twitter)
Carrie Brownstein (her blog on NPR's site)
John Legend (verified Twitter)
Steven Page (Twitter)
Neil Gaiman (verified Twitter) (YAY!!! OMG, whew.)
Jeaniene Frost (Twitter)
Coe Booth (Twitter--there's a lot more tweets--there's a whole conversation between several YA writers)
Maureen Johnson (Twitter--ditto)
Justine Larbalestier (Twitter--also ditto)
Lizz Winstead (Twitter--she's a co-creator of the Daily Show)
Marie Brennan (LJ)
Jim Hines (LJ)
Jack Cafferty (CNN blog)
Sherri Shepherd (Twitter--more tweets, I just picked two)
Hart Hanson (Twitter--creator of Bones [the TV show]) (Also, I love this quote.)
Alison Arngrim (article, she's about half way down the page)
Sasha Frere-http://twitter.com/sashafrerejones/status/4477234168Jones (Twitter)
Alison Sweeney, Jillian Michaels, Lisa Kudrow, Tom Morello and Patricia Arquette (CNN Video, in the order that I listed them--all good, except that Patricia Arquette uses the "it's a complicated blahblah," which I'm pretty tired of hearing because no, it's not.)
Eve Ensler (Huffington Post)
Martin Gero (Twitter)
Paul Cornell (Twitter)
Andrew Vachss (Twitter)
Kristin Cashore (blog post)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(Link added--YouTube video)
Mo Rocca (verified Twitter)
Peter Sagal (Twitter)
Melissa Gilbert (Twitter--link is to TwitLonger)
Dennis Miller (Fox News interview: o_0 [heh])
Alison Winn Scotch (Twitter)
Eugene Robinson (Washington Post OpEd)
Bo Zenga (LA Times article--he's in the last two paragraphs and the first part is nothing you haven't read before, if you've kept up on this at all)
Chris Daughtry's wife, Deanna (Twitter)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (CNN--also folks have quoted Arnold as saying he won't pardon Polanski, if they can get him over here, but I can't find a link for that.)
Allison Anders (blog post)

continued:

Geraldine Ferraro and others (NY Time blog with multiple posts by different people--I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but I did see that some of them are on the side of "hey, not a big deal" so if that's triggery for you, you might pass on this one. Ferraro supports extradition.)
Chris Gorham (verified Twitter)
Katha Politt (blog on The Nation)
Abby McDonald (blog post)
Darren Ewing (Twitter)
Dennis McGrath (Twitter)
Michael Seitzman (Huffington Post--awesome articles, he kicks ass, but triggery as hell, since he posts her testimony verbatim in one, and is pretty graphic in the other)
Robert Llewellyn (verified Twitter)
Josh Malina (Twitter--in context of that stupid badge she wore, apparently)
Jesse Eisenberg (Interview--see the comment here for the relevant excerpt)
Roseanne Barr (blog entry)
Montel Williams (audio)
Jon Stewart (video from the Daily Show) (And Joy Behar--I was on the fence about adding her name to this because she waffles a little, but I've been talked into it.)
Jody Watley (Twitter)
Xeni Jardin (BoingBoing)
Karen Miller (Author blog on LJ)
Rex Murphy (CBC News)
Slavoj Zizek (Twitter)
Chris Rock (Video and article on Jezebel--this has been much-awaited, and he is AWESOME, so the wait was totally worth it :D )
Roland S Martin (CNN)
Liz Burns, YA reviewer (blog entry)
Jessica Crispin (Twitter)
Not The LA Times (short satire article)
Ed Bernero (BigHollywood post--he's a producer, Third Watch and Criminal Minds--and his bit here is excellent)
Salma Hayek (Access Hollywood, no link yet)

"Hollywood has the best moral compass, because it has compassion," Weinstein said. "We were the people who did the fundraising telethon for the victims of 9/11. We were there for the victims of Katrina and any world catastrophe."

in other hilarity, bernard-henri levy speaking out against moral relativism, 2008: http://bigthink.com/bernardhenrilevy/bernard-henri-levy-on-evil

although it's not as hilarious as it should be because he's very garbled and incoherent

There is evil in the world. We all know that. What I could be praised of, even if I am not sure also, but it’s two things. Number one, yes, is to fight moral [relativism], multi culturalism, which means the strange attitude which consists in saying that a practice and attitude which would be a crime in America, or in France, should be admitted somewhere else. For example, to oblige a woman to veil her face or to encage her head should be criminal in America. Again, the formal and the real equality between men and women, suddenly, in Afghanistan or in Pakistan, it is okay. And those who pretend to condemn that are racist, neo-colonialist, neo-imperialist. So, what I say, either this attitude of moral relativism, appreciating an attitude differently according to the context and to the place where people are [rooted], this is one of my, or the thing… maybe one of the thing I try to do in “Left In Dark Times.”

i guess he's more impressive when he speaks in french..

or we could just try to pinpoint the most obvious ones, such as moral philosophers who reckon paedophilic rape doesn't count when one of their mates does it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back