Harbo "Niall" Harbison (1 Viewer)

With time on his hands, Harbison started feeding the odd stray. ā€œI put a few pictures and videos up online of them, and I got a lot of encouragement from people. Thatā€™s not surprising ā€” people really like dogs ā€” but a few weeks ago on a whim, I did a full day of it. I bought a big bag of dog food, and just decided to see how many I could find to feed. When I got home that night, I knew Iā€™d found something really special to dedicate myself to. I just thought, ā€˜Holy shit, this is so rewardingā€™. I felt like a million dollars, so I went out the next day and did it again, and Iā€™m still doing it.ā€

The dogs of Koh Samui are everywhere. They walk along the roads, sleep in the dust and on the beaches, and live lives that are quite far removed from those of pet dogs in Ireland. Theyā€™re not particularly looking for human affection or to be adopted, but they have habituated quickly to Harbison turning up at the same places and at the same time each day with food.

He knows that if heā€™s not fully committed to what heā€™s doing, it might not be a kindness.

ā€œIā€™m learning about this issue as I go. There is one quite well-established charity that has a programme to catch the dogs, vaccinate and neuter them, and then release them to try to control the population. There are some unbelievably kind-hearted people out there. Theyā€™re usually foreigners that have moved here, usually retired people, and they raise money between themselves out of the goodness of their heart.

ā€œBut with the best will in the world, theyā€™re just chipping away at the problem and I canā€™t see how they can solve it. My logic is that I want use some of the skills I have gained over the years to tackle the issue in a bigger way and get a real hold of the problem.ā€

Harbison says he would like to be able to work with the other charities that deal with the issue to raise funds and set something significant in motion. For now, his focus is on what heā€™s doing each day, and taking the time to explore how he will take it forward, having set himself a goal of helping 10,000 dogs a month.

"I’m just happy driving around on my moped with a big bag of dog food on the back." Photo: Marek Slabej
"Iā€™m just happy driving around on my moped with a big bag of dog food on the back." Photo: Marek Slabej

ā€œWhy that number? Iā€™d love to say there is some scientific, well thought-out reason for it but there isnā€™t. It just happens to be a big number that I can understand, like 10,000 daily steps or a 10-kilometre run. Although itā€™s terrifyingly big, I still think itā€™s achievable. I want to get to a place where I can look after that amount of dogs on a monthly basis. Giving them a better life, a better chance or even saving them from death or illness.ā€

The key for Harbison will be finding a way to build his dream while staying connected to the actual animals. It would be easy to end up sitting behind a spreadsheet all day working on the bigger picture. ā€œI want to keep doing the hands-on stuff. I think I can definitely scale it up, but I donā€™t want to just go and raise money by tapping some corporates. At a personal level, I feel like I need to do some hard graft. Iā€™m helping myself as well as helping the dogs, and Iā€™m still figuring things out as I go along.ā€

He moves the camera around to show me his apartment, which is pretty spartan. ā€œIā€™m very lucky in that I have enough to live a simple life on my own, and I can choose what I do with my time. But I donā€™t live a fancy life at all. When you sell a business, there are other shareholders to be paid, thereā€™s tax. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ve enough for myself, but Iā€™m not eating caviar.

ā€œPaying for a couple of bags of dog food is no problem, but today, for example, I found a dog and brought her to the vet, and it cost ā‚¬100 to get her seen to before we let her go again. I could take 20 dogs to the vet tomorrow, easily, but thatā€™s going to add up quickly, so this needs to be an exercise that is self-sufficient.ā€

On the back of his Twitter and Instagram posts, heā€™s been flooded with people offering to give him money to help pay for what heā€™s doing, but for now he isnā€™t taking it. Instead, heā€™s directing people who want to keep up with what heā€™s doing to niallharbison.substack.com, where heā€™s keeping a journal, and detailing the project and how itā€™s progressing.

ā€œI probably will need to raise some money eventually. I could spend ā‚¬5,000 a day here easily on this and eventually Iā€™ll need more people, facilities and medical help to do it properly. In the meantime, I intend to keep going ā€” this is my life now and this is my vocation.

ā€œIā€™ve lived well and done lots of cool things in my life, but I can honestly say this is the most fulfilment Iā€™ve ever had. I know itā€™s a clichĆ©, but I really did nearly drink myself to death.

ā€œTo come through that and get a second chance is amazing. I donā€™t give a shit about money or popularity any more. I donā€™t want a nice car or fancy clothes. Iā€™m just happy driving around on my moped with a big bag of dog food on the back.ā€

7dup9r.jpg

Actually in tears here šŸ˜¢ was rooting for Tina so much

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are many other dog accounts to follow instead of that cunt, if it's just the dogs that are interesting to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loadingā€¦
Back