DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
yep, i got it for €120 - he agreed the pickups on the guitar aren't superb, but since my main goal is to use it as a template, i wanted the one with the more function in the body itself.

started to take apart that squier tele i got. need to decide now whether a tele without a scratchplate will be a bad idea.

More difficult in terms of cavities for wires, as you don’t have the option of cutting a channel which the guard will cover. But if it’s a nice piece of wood it could look nice.

I’d get a pickup ring though, would look nicer and give you some wiggle room in terms of the pickup rout Telecaster Neck Pickup Surround Metal Chrome, Gold or Black Single Coil | eBay

what wood is that? am thinking of using mahogany as a fretboard, not sure if it's suitable.

It’s a piece of 6mm walnut. Going to make the bridge out of the same timber.

I dare say there are internet forums full of people arguing the toss on mahogany as a fretboard material, but structurally I’d say you’d be fine. Only reason not to I can think of is that it can be very open pored, grain raises easily etc. a dash of linseed oil and you probably be grand though

got new bandsaw blades the other day, hope to pick up freshly sharpened planer blades today so now i am putting way too much thought into how i'm going to lay strips of mahogany between the london plane to make up the body of this next guitar.

see also: maple fretboard on a maple neck? or mahogany fretboard on a maple neck?

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the head there. Do you have pocket hole jig? If not, how did you do those holes? From the pictures it looks like you've drilled them out at a sexy angle.

have you a shim under the neck in that latest photo?

I'm intrigued by the head there. Do you have pocket hole jig? If not, how did you do those holes? From the pictures it looks like you've drilled them out at a sexy angle.

the answer to both these questions is neck and headstock angles...

the neck slants back at an angle of about 10* relative to the top of the instrument, and that piece is a fill rather than a shim.

the headstock slants back by 13* relative to the fingerboard. so the holes were drilled straight through, but the headstock is slanted.

the cutting of these angles to meet a 90* joint at the body, and be level with the top makes the neck probably one of the most complex things I've ever made!

Sounds so simple in the explaining, not at all in the doing. How did you stop the drill from being a prick? Six times? Consistently?

I'm also quite impressed with your fretboard.

Edit: EIGHT Times?

Sounds so simple in the explaining, not at all in the doing. How did you stop the drill from being a prick? Six times? Consistently?

I'm also quite impressed with your fretboard.

Edit: EIGHT Times?

ahh - this I learned the hard way... ,

1. mark your centre line and mark the positions of where you want the machine heads to be sticking up.
2. then measure either 10 or 15mm in from the edge (depending on how wide your overall headstock is)
3. using a simple drill guide (like this) drill a 3mm pilot hole through
4. using a similar drill guide drill a 10mm hole about half way through the head stock
5. flip it over and drill through the other side. this way the 10mm bit doesn't make shit of the timber as it tears through the other side.

A drill press would make steps 2-5 a lot easier. I would note I've never gotten this 100% accurate, but close enough you'd need to look closely to see one was off. I've widened the holes in some cases to let me position the machine head a little more in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back