DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 45K
  • Watchers 4
a chap i know has a mexican strat and was saying to me the frets need to be redone - he'd been considering having a go at it himself, but was also thinking that buying the right tools to do so might be a waste given there was a strong likelihood he'd never need to use them again. is it something best left to the pros? and is it generally an expensive job?

a chap i know has a mexican strat and was saying to me the frets need to be redone - he'd been considering having a go at it himself, but was also thinking that buying the right tools to do so might be a waste given there was a strong likelihood he'd never need to use them again. is it something best left to the pros? and is it generally an expensive job?

right now I'd say its a massive pain in the hole - but I'm on fret #17/20

I guess it depends on what might need to be done. If its 'just' a level for one or two frets I'd recommend the little 'buzzoff' kit I bought

a complete refret is a different game.

I probably spent about 50-60quid on basic bits specifically for fretting from scratch. In about 2-3 weeks I'll know if that was a good investment.

trying to make volume knobs. making the knobs is easy; bar getting them to fit on the pots. a 6mm hole is too big, 5mm way too small. so i got a 5.5mm bit, and it's still so tight it did this to the old pot JohnnyRaz gave me, when i tried to take it off. PXL_20230324_211102287.jpg

PXL_20230324_211427411.jpg

trying to make volume knobs. making the knobs is easy; bar getting them to fit on the pots. a 6mm hole is too big, 5mm way too small. so i got a 5.5mm bit, and it's still so tight it did this to the old pot JohnnyRaz gave me, when i tried to take it off.View attachment 16842

View attachment 16843
When I have to put a non fitting plastic knob on a pot I heat an old pot shaft and push it into the knob. When remove the shaft again it should slip straight on to a new pot with perfect fit. Same trick might work with a wooden knob too. Just make sure the two pots have same fit. There's 18 and 32 teeth versions. 18 is US and 32 is import usually.

Cheers for asking magic. Turns out my ancient login is still valid. Another forum to explore..

Anyway, I'd be thinking it might need a refret. Need to contact a few places

trying to make volume knobs. making the knobs is easy; bar getting them to fit on the pots. a 6mm hole is too big, 5mm way too small. so i got a 5.5mm bit, and it's still so tight it did this to the old pot JohnnyRaz gave me, when i tried to take it off.View attachment 16842

View attachment 16843
Would suggest a drop of oil, or drill the hole wider and wrap pot shaft with either strip of sandpaper or insulating tape.

Moose’s solution is more elegant..and it seems you’ve found yourself in possession of a pot shaft :)

Thanks - the router actually came with a template collar for the bit - which works great. Problem is the template itself in this case wasn’t my finest work!

so I can safely say the router will do 2/3 of the things I might use it for..

edging a nearly 45mm chunk of wood which is 50% fairly hard wood, and 50% absolutely rock hard old mahogany was a little beyond its 600W capabilities. Grand up to 2-5mm of edge to trim - really struggled beyond that.

Would probably be grand on softer wood.

has left me with 90degree edges, but a lot of tidying up to be done.

some gluing, rasping and sanding in my immediate future

did you use it for the neck pocket, or did you do that by hand? on my guitar i had it easy as i had a premade neck and could use the stock body as a template.

did you use it for the neck pocket, or did you do that by hand? on my guitar i had it easy as i had a premade neck and could use the stock body as a template.
I did the neck pocket by hand - as guitar body is effectively two layers I sawed out of the top one.

I made a template for the edging - it worked well overall in terms of absolute principle , just the router struggled, and tore/went rogue in one or two spots

You’ll see in the picture I was actually trying to shave off quite a bit in places
9FAE36DE-1D31-4E7D-BCFE-E4974EEC36B3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back