What gig did you go to last night? (4 Viewers)

Went down the pub. Noticed a few odd looking people. As in, even more odd than the regulars. Something is happening here.

The manager explained that there's going to be an immersive theatre/gig thing happening, then they'll all go up to the library and play an actual gig,

Anyway, they played a song. then they had a shouting match, with supposedly random people walking into the pub and performing a play broadly about "what is punk". The folks down the back at the pool table thought this shit was happening in real life. After the players left, to go to the library and perform their actual show, we had to explain to the pool people that they were actors.

London pub theatre is a thing I don't think Ireland has a corollary to, but it's pretty great. And I haven't seen it done well in a while.

After they all left, some other interesting regulars arrived. I said "What's this, Act Two?" Everyone laughed, except the people who arrived and didn't know why everyone was laughing. I'm a dickhead.

Sounds like a nightmare to me. Going to the pub to have a quiet pint with a mate and having some theatre fuck doing their happening? No thanks. It’s bad enough when there’s a match on.

It wouldn't be fun if it happened all the time, but you go into that particular pub you know what your getting into.

It was actually a crucial plot point to their play that they came there then left. They were only there about 15 minutes.

I went to see Roger Waters in Madrid on thursday night. What you'd expect. Very politicsey and great visuals. An interesting enough set. He played 6 songs from his solo albums (well one of them was a new song), including 'The Bravery of Being out of Range', which is kind of obscure, and songs from Radio KAOS and that last album he had out. The Floyd stuff was interesting. He was clearly staying away from any of the Gilmour stuff. All the Floyd visuals were from the Syd era, and he played Comfortably Numb with no guitars (just organ) and it was lovely. He played the second half of 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond', and played 'Another Brick in the wall', part 1, half of part 2 and all of part 3. The highlight of the night for me was 'Two Suns in the Sunset'. Always loved that song.

Stage was in the round so it was a bit odd. It started off walled off with 2 walls criss-crossing like a +. After the first song the walls lifted and they served as the screens for the rest of the show.

It wouldn't be up there with the best I've seen Waters. The Wall in the point, and his last show where he played Animals and most of Dark Side of the Moon, were better IMO. It was the fifth different show I've seen him do and was probably the 4th best. But it was the last chance to see the moany old bollox, so worth making the trip.

Sorry, that was too much info and none of you care, except Shaney, and he'll pretend not to care.

Shaney might not care but I do. Did he play DSOTM in the traditional way or did he do his new version? I'd like to hear him play Two Suns and his solo stuff.
nah it was the traditional way, note for note, all the sound effects, etc

this is the setlist from last night. Its the same as the night I was there

Went to his in the local Church of Ireland on Saturday. It was all terribly Midsomer Murders

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Steve Hillage Band.

Anyone that knows me knows that Steve is the closest thing to a hero I've ever had. When he announced he was playing tracks from his 70s heyday,and had no plans to do it again anytime soon,I had to go.
I spent my formative years taking mushrooms and listening to Steve Hillage on my cassette Walkman. Wobbling my way through life and it affected me profoundly.
Anyway,I'd seen him playing with Gong but never the solo stuff.
When he came on, a doddery auld lad,and launched into Solar Musical Suite ..I burst out crying!

And spent the next two hours reliving my youth and it was fucking magic. Better than I could have hoped for.

I dare say the band were better than the records. They've had 50 years to learn the songs.

Absolutely beautiful.

And the sheer amount of geriatric Hawkwind fans at the show...

Amazing

Wasted Death. Absolutely arse kicking.thrashmetal.
Los Dedos. One of the best bands I've ever seen.
Aba Shanti

Jah RASTAFARI.

Wasted Death .. excellent thrash metal/hardcore from London in a cellar venue. Very nice indeed.

Los Dedos ... Unbelievably fantastic 3 piece surf outfit from Bristol. I just happened to be walking from one gig to the next and heard the sound of a twangy reverb drenched Stratocaster and came across these lads playing in a place called Elmer's which is smaller than my sitting room. What a band.incredible. seriously. Can't believe my luck stumbling on these .

Aba Shanti I at the Trinity Community Arts Centre. Bass you can hear from space.
Great venue great crowd great music.

What a night!

Bristol is my new favourite city. It's absurdly bursting with proper music.

Wasted Death .. excellent thrash metal/hardcore from London in a cellar venue. Very nice indeed.

Los Dedos ... Unbelievably fantastic 3 piece surf outfit from Bristol. I just happened to be walking from one gig to the next and heard the sound of a twangy reverb drenched Stratocaster and came across these lads playing in a place called Elmer's which is smaller than my sitting room. What a band.incredible. seriously. Can't believe my luck stumbling on these .

Aba Shanti I at the Trinity Community Arts Centre. Bass you can hear from space.
Great venue great crowd great music.

What a night!

Bristol is my new favourite city. It's absurdly bursting with proper music.

Big fan of Wasted Death.

I jumped into Whelan's on Saturday night to have a look at Scattered Ashes, who were supporting Clan Of Xymox, because I was in town anyway. Great crowd in early to see the openers which was nice to see. Lots of ageing goths in makeup. We didn't stick around for the Clan but apparently they did 4 encores!

Owen Pallett and The Hidden Cameras.

Lovely stuff, have never missed OP playing in Dublin and last night triggered all sorts of nice memories
your instagram story made me go back and dig out a couple of the early albums. Triggered all sorts of nice memories for me too. Those early shows were amazing.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back