2020-21 Football thread (8 Viewers)

another accidential discovery on wiki:
FOUR Italian internationals hailed from the same town of 6,000 outside Bergamo.
Calcinate is the home town of Andrea Belotti, Pietro Vierchowod, Manolo Gabbiadini and his sister Melania Gabbiadini (114 caps / 45 goals).

the Calcio players wiki's all have a nice section called ''Style of play'' which seems to written by the same person or in the same style at least. loads of nice terms like ''correct behaviour'' which I assume translates from Italian.
Vierchowod's section is ace:
Maradona said Vierchowod (whom he dubbed ''The Hulk'') was the best defender he ever played against and Lineker, Van Basten and Batistuta also lavish him praise.
found another one of these coincidences:
Mauricio Pochettino and Paulo Gazzaniga (former Spurs keeper who I like to call Paul Gazza) are both from the same town of 3,540 called Murphy.
John James Murphy left Wexford in the 1840's and ended up owning 40,000 hectares of land in the area.

Barcelona scandal concerning payments to former referee has been building over last few weeks and Barca were charged a few days ago. Seems like hiring former referees in consultant roles is normal in Spain but Negreira was different because he was still in the employment of the Spanish FA.

Can't believe I never heard of this:

Was looking at Erik ten Hag's bio and saw he was from a town called Haaksbergen in Twente region.
Another local footballer was Andy Scharmin (1967 - 7 June 1989)

Andy Scharmin along with his mother, aunt and 178 of the 187 onboard, died in a plane crash landing in Suriname.
He was part of a Surinamese Dutch representative team of pros who were to play against local teams.
Three of the survivors were footballers from the team known as the 'Colourful Eleven'.
Andy's mother hadn't been home for 40 years and he turned down a chance to play for Holland in the Toulon tournament to go on the trip.

Most of the big name players asked to travel couldn't make it (Gullit, Rijkaard, Winter, Blinker, Roy etc.) but the team's best known players - internationals Henny Meijer and Ajax keeper Stanley Menzo had already arrived in Paramaribo on an earlier flight - both had been refused permission to travel by their clubs but went to play anyway under the guise of going on holiday.
Two other particularly sad stories emerged -
Ortwin Linger died three days after the accident, so unrecognisable that his uncle and Menzo could only identify him through his leg muscles and his jawline .
Florian Vijent's family suffered further tragedy a few days later when his brother took his life.
As little remembered as this is outside the affected communities as The Guardian article says:
'It's always about the footballers but a lot of people died'.

probably not an indication of how the champions league will go but i did enjoy Erling Braut Haaland's goal fest this week.
apart from beating Spurs home and away a few years ago, RB Leipzig have an awful record against English teams, including losing 6-3 at City previously and 5-0 at Man Utd.

Haaland and De Bruyne were back to their best.

Napoli carry my hopes for the European Cup. they won't be able to keep the likes of Osimhen and 'Kvaradona' (Kvaratskhelia) and won't get another chance if they don't do it this season. they play awesome football and can beat anyone.

At some point I'll have to learn how to say that guy's name.

"The Georgian lad at Napoli" is getting unwieldy.

Kwar-atch-silla? (Rhymes with Gwar-rhymes with hatch-rhymes with villa in English)
still getting to grips the Georgian's lad name -
'Kvar-at-skh-el-ia'
is how I try to remember the spelling. I get it right nearly half the time now. can't pronounce it yet.

He's been the signing of the season. awesome every time I've seen him.
he triggered his release from Rubin Kazan when the war started and and finished out last season with Rustavi (founded 2015. stadium capacity 3,000)

Liepzig were royally fucked in that City match. A penalty that should never have been a penalty, and then at 2 down City should have had their keeper sent off - instead the Leipzig forward got booked! Fuckin shit reffing.

Liepzig were royally fucked in that City match. A penalty that should never have been a penalty, and then at 2 down City should have had their keeper sent off - instead the Leipzig forward got booked! Fuckin shit reffing.
Yeah - that ref was crap alright.
that Pedro Concalves goal @2:04
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See also:
Sporting deservedly knocked out Arsenal despite the fact both Arsenal goals in the first leg should have been disallowed.
For Arsenal's first goal in Lisbon, Zinchenko (see replay @1:44) was man handling a Sporting player from the corner and (@7:15 and replay @7:32) Saka clearly fouled a Sporting player before second goal - an o.g.

This summary is far too generous to both teams, from what I was watching. Larnaca never posed a threat. From a sporting point of view, there probably shouldn't have even been a round of sixteen. But hey, everyone made money.

The final goal came from a kid who has been with the club since he was eight years old. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Also, you can see my stupid head in there, if you look carefully.

Palace have sacked Patrick Vieira this morning. He should have been given more time with the credit he's built up.
I know they were struggling for goals in the last five matches but they better have someone impressive lined up.
this could be a big mistake and I hope Palace aren't getting ideas above their station and don't live to regret this...

beating the second best team in Cyprus 6-0 on agg. in a third string European comp. is pretty routine. Bless West Ham fans for getting excited about this.
poor Vieira must be looking at Moyes and thinking - what did I do wrong?

the European draws for the last 8 and semis are coming up shortly at 11 am this morning...

Don Megson (1936 - 2023)
A Sheffield Wednesday legend, Don was a left back with The Owls from 1959 to '69. Wednesday were 60's nearly men: League runners up to double winners Spurs in 1961 (they won 3-2 against Barca in the Fairs Cup at Hillsborough) and they famously lost the 1966 FA Cup Final to Everton after being 2-0 up - Don Megson was captain that day.
Gary Megson and Neil Megson (not to be confused with Genesis P-Orridge) are his sons.

West Ham got Gent in QF and either AZ Alkmaar or Anderlecht in semi of Europa Conference.

Vlad Smicer did the draw as a former Slavia Prague player as the joint is hosting the final. Unfortunately Slavia's stadium holds less than 20,000.

WHUFC beat Anderlecht twice in the group stages. Alkmaar I know nothing about.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I think WH could win this silly competition.

WHUFC beat Anderlecht twice in the group stages. Alkmaar I know nothing about.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I think WH could win this silly competition.
Gent are 5th in Belgium but not in contention. where the big clubs are having a disaster this season.
Alkmaar still in contention in Eredivisie (5 points off top, 3rd behind Feyenoord and Ajax) and they beat Lazio who beat Napoli two weeks ago.
Anderlecht are 9th in league - never had a worse team in my memory.
AZ have to be the best of these.

I'd rather see a club from a smaller league win this comp. (which I think is the reason it was invented) but WHUFC could be heading to Prague. no way should West Ham be struggling with squad they have.
I love seeing clubs not used to playing in Europe going on run in UEFA but a Championship team should beat Larnaca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back