Merry Christmas 2022 Everyone (1 Viewer)

Let me recommend the Baltics then. Everything was open here on christmas day. They do their thing on christmas eve over the space of a few hours, then thats it. Its very non-intrusive if you're an outsider. Obviously the christmas shit is everywhere, and they don't take down their decorations until the end of february, but these few days have been grand. All the locals have been back in work since monday, so basically life as normal, unlike Ireland where there are hordes of bored people everywhere, hating their families, and desperate for something to do.

A nice few days break in Talinn or Riga (Vilnius might be a bit too catholic) is just the job.
My wife is off to talinn in a few months for a choir competition. She won't get to see an awful lot I suspect with the performances and rehearsals etc.

Decorations are all back in the attic.
I would normally have done the same today. They'll be gone tomorrow after work.
Nary a mince pie to be found in the shops here so that's it all over for another year.

I would normally have done the same today. They'll be gone tomorrow after work.
Nary a mince pie to be found in the shops here so that's it all over for another year.
I'd normally do it on 1st January if at all possible but just couldn't be arsed yesterday.

9/10 for Xmas day, 7/10 for the overall break.

I normally dislike Xmas, largely because of the hyper consumption pressure (which as a parent of a small child is even more intense), but needed a break, and for the first time in years I both had a wind down into Christmas itself, and haven’t done any work over the time off.

Jan/feb will be carnage workwise…

Normal raz-grinch service will be resumed for dec 23 I’m sure..

If you want it.
Yeah, but if you don't want it. That's the point. There's no opt-out option for Christmas.

The entirety of society lines up and defines a set of things you have to do, namely: buy loads of dubious shit and feel bad about turning up or not turning up on that one person's doorstep. And God (lol).

You can't just say: ah no, you're grand. You lot have fun, talk to yis later. Like, I love to hear that people enjoy it, I'd like people who i like to enjoy it. I'm not against the concept at all, in the sense it can apply to other people assuming they want to be involved.

But I don't want to be involved. I don't even want to be asked if I want to be involved, even that's a fucking Mrs Doyle type chore, ah go on, you'll have lovely Christmas, go on, go on go on go on.

At this point I don't even want to be in the country or any country that requires that you ram Christmas cock down your throat and smile and talk about how much you love that choking sensation.

I'd like an "opt out" option. That's all really.

Yeah, but if you don't want it. That's the point. There's no opt-out option for Christmas.

The entirety of society lines up and defines a set of things you have to do, namely: buy loads of dubious shit and feel bad about turning up or not turning up on that one person's doorstep. And God (lol).

You can't just say: ah no, you're grand. You lot have fun, talk to yis later. Like, I love to hear that people enjoy it, I'd like people who i like to enjoy it. I'm not against the concept at all, in the sense it can apply to other people assuming they want to be involved.

But I don't want to be involved. I don't even want to be asked if I want to be involved, even that's a fucking Mrs Doyle type chore, ah go on, you'll have lovely Christmas, go on, go on go on go on.

At this point I don't even want to be in the country or any country that requires that you ram Christmas cock down your throat and smile and talk about how much you love that choking sensation.

I'd like an "opt out" option. That's all really.
Ha

EVERY

WORD

OF

THIS

❤️

I dunno, man

Everyone has their own definition of Christmas. If it’s about what society says for you, then that’s it for you.

For me, it's a celebration of being alive, of having love in your life, and people you want to share that with. It’s the time of the year where you reflect on who you’ve been, what you’ve gained, what you’ve lost. What you can do better.

And also, the one time where you can try to be the very best version of yourself; the kindest, most loving, most empathetic, most supportive person you’re capable of being.

You don’t even have to be in people’s faces about it. Most people you love only need a moment to be told so, or to be reminded of something great they did that year. You can even stick it in a card.

Once you/we/I have an understanding of what Christmas means to us, then all the other stuff – what everyone else is doing – you can either let it in or not.

I like mince pies, turkey dinner, chocos, the Alastair Sim Christmas Carol, reading The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve, watching old TV Christmas specials, the Barry’s train set ad, seeing my nieces and nephews living the magic of it. Recent years, I love a Christmas Day walk or run. I like wearing a Santa hat on the bike for about a week or so. The brother loves Christmas FM, I’m more of a playlist kind of guy. Each to their own.

I have no truck with pubs, parties, or any nonsense that I don’t want. I’m not going anywhere I don’t want to be.

No one’s going to be offended by that, and if they are, they will have to figure that out themselves. If I love them, they know it already.

A couple of times here you’ve talked about people’s expectations, society’s expectations, things being forced down your throat, that you can't opt out etc.

I honestly think people can either choose to live by those expectations or let them fall away. Like ultimately who are we living our lives for?
For other people? No one else ultimately gives a shit what you do. No one cares. So you can do whatever you want. We can opt out of anything we want.
It can be difficult to free yourself of other people’s expectations and opinions, but it’s wholly worthwhile. And it gets easier.
I don’t care what society says Christmas is, I don’t care what anyone says it is. It’s mine for living as I see fit.
No more than I should stay up til midnight on NYE and belt out a bunch of numbers in reverse. Let other people do that.
It is pointless for me to feel expected to participate, and even moreso to feel mad that it’s happening. Being mad at things we cannot change is futile.

If we live life with love, and in tune with ourselves, and focus on the things in our control, we are always gonna be happier.

I didn’t buy a single present this year. I helped the brother out with sourcing things for his kids, and that was enough for me.
I didn’t get anyone anything this year. Anyone who sent me a gift will get something back at some stage.
I didn’t send out a card (which is killing me, cos sending my cards out is one of my favourite things. A few of you here have gotten one down the years. Back next year, I promise.)

You already are way ahead of the game.
You have people you love, and who love you back. And you can see their humanity.

That’s all any of us ultimately need at any time of the year.

Let the great world spin as it will.

If you want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back