Moving to the sticks (3 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

I've been living in the countryside for 15 years (surrounded by farmland, 5km outside Slane), and I've never really stopped missing the city. We're living Mrs. egg_'s dream here - chickens, vegetables, trees, near her Mam and sister and cousins - and I'm happy for her, but it's not my dream. I play music in a pub in the village and there's a few other old musos who I can go for a pint with, and Dublin's only an hour away if I wanna drive down to a gig or an open mic or something, or I can even get the bus down for an after-work pint with someone (last bus home is 9pm). Also the house is big enough that when the kids were little we could crank up the music in the sitting room and dance the night away without waking them (now they're teens and never go to fucking bed, and we don't really do that anymore :( )

If I'm deliberate about doing all the social/fun stuff I'm pretty content here, but if I don't (or can't for some reason) I can get a bit stir crazy.

My office is in Clonee and the traffic is mental and the end of the working day. Glad I rarely have to go there anymore.

The stretch of the N4 by Maynooth\ Leixlip is a nightmare too

I'm struggling to find any downside to living far away from Dublin.

I suppose being close to an airport if you want to fly somewhere? There aren't natural gas lines by me, so heating is annoying I guess.
The fact that seemingly everyone knows who you are, what you're doing, and who're you're doing it with (whether this is true or not) can be annoying, particularly because it's sort of a one way thing in the sense that there's no way you can learn who everyone else is as quickly. But even that can be lovely, because you're part of a community which was a new thing for me.

I'm in a coastal village, so I'm walking distance to pubs / restaurants / even a decent venue. That's a thing I got lucky on, I didn't realise how nice being within walking distance of some stuff was before I bought this place. So I'd be in the sticks by some people's measure, but even within the village I've heard people say stuff like how they could never live out in the country, implying they aren't living out in the country.

The fact that seemingly everyone knows who you are, what you're doing, and who're you're doing it with (whether this is true or not) can be annoying, particularly because it's sort of a one way thing in the sense that there's no way you can learn who everyone else is as quickly. But even that can be lovely, because you're part of a community which was a new thing for me.
New thing for me too - in the pub people often know my name and randomly chat to me, which is lovely. Downside is I often haven't a breeze who they are - I'd have to spend a lot more time in there talking to people (rather than playing tunes the whole time) to overcome that, but having to drive (and Mrs. egg_ having zero interest in hanging out in a pub) means it's unlikely I ever will

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would have liked if it was just bow wow wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back