Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

I mean like it sounds like he got onto the national team and scored the most goals in history for that team so that deserves some rating?
Giroud is called "underrated" so often that it is a cliché.
He is not in the league of Salah, Kane or of course Benzema, whose shit head behaviour led to Giroud winning at lot of caps in his absence.

The only time Giroud got more than 16 goals in a league season was when Montpellier won the league which was the highlight of his career for me.

Aleksandar Mitrovic and Harry Kane have indentical records of 52 goals in 79 caps.
Giroud has scored 52 goals in 117 caps.

He's a good player but lucky to have gotten the opportunities he's had.
And the state of the head on him.

I love Giroud, he put Henry into second place so he is automatically great
I remember flying into Dublin airport around the time of the ash cloud and there were 3 lads with these t-shirts.

one said - 'we are french'
the next - 'but we hate'
the third - 'thierry henry'

I thought it was hilarious but like what happens when mister 'but we hate' goes off for a piss by himself?

Giroud spent most of his career going about his business never being the guy that his team really wanted but he kept at it working hard and was always useful to have around. Showing the work ethic that meant he went from the French third division aged 23 to winning the biggest honours in club and international football. Arsenal didn't want him, "ok I'll go to Chelsea and win the champions league." Chelsea didn't want him, "ok I'll go to Milan and win the scudetto."

He's never been great but he's been a solid 7/10 player that helps grease how the team functions for a decade, like a beautiful James Milner.

Phillipps Auclair described him as being supremely confident in his ability to do the things he knows he can do well, but also humble enough to know what his limitations are and put what's he's good at in the service of the team.

In 5 WC matches in Brazil Giroud scored once (and one assist).
In 7 matches in Russia he failed to score for a World Cup winning team (and one assist).
He's a good player who got lucky.

He did play well against Poland esp. for Mbappe's first goal. But missed his customary sitter in the first half.

That Nederlands vs argentina gig had all the terrible ref decisions of a classic game.

Messi's no look pass wasn't just a no look pass, it was a no look nutmeg.

I got very roped in to it all.

That Nederlands vs argentina gig had all the terrible ref decisions of a classic game.

Messi's no look pass wasn't just a no look pass, it was a no look nutmeg.

I got very roped in to it all.
worst ref at World Cup since Howard Webb ruined 2010 final - mostly at the expense of the Dutch that time too.
WTF were Argentina thinking at 2-0 or 2-1?
Insane lack of discipline - just because the bookings are wiped out for semis doesn't mean you repeatedly risk getting sent off when you are winning. they put 50 odd extra minutes of stress and very hard work on themselves.
I am amazed no one got sent off and even Messi deliberately handled no ball (no yellow) and did a few silly fouls.
normally in this situation Argentina would've capitulated after the Dutch equaliser but they regrouped and were unlucky not to get the winner before pens. this might be a near disaster that turned into a team building exercise.

Delighted for Croatia. Awesome stuff.
Morocco are so well organised and have some top players. wouldn't rule out them out of doing something similar again v Portugal. the African teams all went home with a least one win.

France should have too much for England. but it might be the hardest match they have left if they go on to retain the trophy.

it's been an excellent tournament - not because of the quality of the football but because of all the great stories and shocks.
I better get a 'FECK QATAR' in here to keep the pressure on 'em.
in the long term a good tournament on the pitch + politicising football fans a bit, would be a decent legacy for such a tainted event.

another great day of football.
Morocco:
check out a passage of play in the tenth minute v Portugal 9:40 to 10:15.
after a Moroccan goal kick, Portugal get possession but about 9:40 the Moroccans win it back in the right back position.
A Moroccan despite intense pressing doesn't panic and moves the ball swiftly to a team mate. the Portuguese get in his face too, but he too calmly passes to another team mate...
over about 15 seconds of immense pressure in that part of the pitch 5 or 6 Moroccans never panic and keep passing (once a pass is almost intercepted but a Moroccan wins it) then finally they work it into the space in front of the penalty area and out to farside (left) and quickly launch an attack.
basically 9:40 -10:15. at any point if they'd lost the ball they'd have been in big danger but they stuck to playing it out from the back and it was a joy to watch that 30 seconds of football.

the manager Walid Regragui seems to be a bit of a genius organiser and a major talent.
Sofyan Amrabat is immense. what an amazing set of players from the diaspora they have brought together inc. four (?) lads who grew up in Holland.

England gave it a good go and still lost. though Southgate is getting much more out of the team now and not making lunkhead mistakes anymore.

if anyone except France wins it now. it will be my fave WC ever.

Last edited:
another great day of football.
Morocco:
check out a passage of play in the tenth minute v Portugal 9:40 to 10:15.
after a Moroccan goal kick, Portugal get possession but about 9:40 the Moroccans win it back in the right back position.
A Moroccan despite intense pressing doesn't panic and moves the ball swiftly to a team mate. the Portuguese get in his face too, but he too calmly passes to another team mate...
over about 15 seconds of immense pressure in that part of the pitch 5 or 6 Moroccans never panic and keep passing (once a pass is almost intercepted but a Moroccan wins it) then finally they work it into the space in front of the penalty area and out to farside (left) and quickly launch an attack.
basically 9:40 -10:15. at any point if they'd lost the ball they'd have been in big danger but they stuck to playing it out from the back and it was a joy to watch that 30 seconds of football.

the manager Walid Regragui seems to be a bit of a genius organiser and a major talent.
Sofyan Amrabat is immense. what an amazing set of players from the diaspora they have brought together inc. four (?) lads who grew up in Holland.

England gave it a good go and still lost. though Southgate is getting much more out of the team now and not making lunkhead mistakes anymore.

if anyone except France wins it now. it will be my fave WC ever.
It's been the perfect Quarter Finals, a rare thing - all the fuckin shitheads getting dumped out!

I called the Croatia - Brazil one to a mate the day before - that the first time Brazil come up against a real bunch of grinders, they'd fall apart. They didn't exactly fall apart, but I did say that Croatian midfield can grind a result against anyone.

Argies - Netherlands: fuckin classsss match, Argies deserved the win but had to give massive kudos to that Dutch free-kick at the end. Also massive kudos to the Argies for really going for the win in extra time, taking off a defender to bring on Big Nose and all.

Morocco - Portugal: Glorious. Fucking glorious. Fuck Ronaldo forever!! Also that Moroccan captain had a fuckin amazzzzzin match, legend.

France - The Enemy: YAAAAAAAA FUCK YISSS. And France were actually pretty shit, even gives Morocco hope.

Morocco have been fuckin class in this tournament, I think they're the first African team I've ever seen be able to defend properly, they're definitely the best organised African team I've ever seen. Good group of players playing really well together as a team, legends. And it is fuckin HILARIOUS that the two big European countries they've dumped out have been none other than Spain and Portugal. Imagine if they did the trilogy against France, they'd be the Anti-Colonial Heroes! Argies vs Morocco in the final, whoever wins, the colonialists lose!!

It's been the perfect Quarter Finals, a rare thing - all the fuckin shitheads getting dumped out!

I called the Croatia - Brazil one to a mate the day before - that the first time Brazil come up against a real bunch of grinders, they'd fall apart. They didn't exactly fall apart, but I did say that Croatian midfield can grind a result against anyone.

Argies - Netherlands: fuckin classsss match, Argies deserved the win but had to give massive kudos to that Dutch free-kick at the end. Also massive kudos to the Argies for really going for the win in extra time, taking off a defender to bring on Big Nose and all.

Morocco - Portugal: Glorious. Fucking glorious. Fuck Ronaldo forever!! Also that Moroccan captain had a fuckin amazzzzzin match, legend.

France - The Enemy: YAAAAAAAA FUCK YISSS. And France were actually pretty shit, even gives Morocco hope.

Morocco have been fuckin class in this tournament, I think they're the first African team I've ever seen be able to defend properly, they're definitely the best organised African team I've ever seen. Good group of players playing really well together as a team, legends. And it is fuckin HILARIOUS that the two big European countries they've dumped out have been none other than Spain and Portugal. Imagine if they did the trilogy against France, they'd be the Anti-Colonial Heroes! Argies vs Morocco in the final, whoever wins, the colonialists lose!!
Only thing I might slightly dispute there is that all the African teams were were well organised (also their discipline was excellent which seems to be par the course for a longtime now).

Alan Hansen's adjective for highest level of defending is "immense" and Morocco are big time playaz in the immense division.
Morocco have only conceded ONE goal in their last 9 matches now!
And that was an o.g.

Rehagel's Greece must be jealous.

Only thing I might slightly dispute there is that all the African teams were were well organised (also their discipline was excellent which seems to be par the course for a longtime now).

Alan Hansen's adjective for highest level of defending is "immense" and Morocco are big time playaz in the immense division.
Morocco have only conceded ONE goal in their last 9 matches now!
And that was an o.g.

Rehagel's Greece must be jealous.
Na. Senegal and Cameroon, both had really good players in their team, both had not the slightest hint of a plan for the games they were playing other than "Go out and run fast" basically. Both had shit coaches, shit organisation.
Saudi Arabia actually had a semblance of organisation, but not the players to match it.
Qatar are quite possibly the worst team to ever play at a World Cup, and definitely the worst host team to ever play at one.
Tunisia's organisation was okay, but they didn't have the players to do much either.

I know the two Arabian peninsula teams aren't exactly 'African', but they traditionally play a similar style of football to past African teams - go out and run about loads and be fucking shit defensively. At least the Saudis were better than that this time.

Na. Senegal and Cameroon, both had really good players in their team, both had not the slightest hint of a plan for the games they were playing other than "Go out and run fast" basically. Both had shit coaches, shit organisation.
Saudi Arabia actually had a semblance of organisation, but not the players to match it.
Qatar are quite possibly the worst team to ever play at a World Cup, and definitely the worst host team to ever play at one.
Tunisia's organisation was okay, but they didn't have the players to do much either.

I know the two Arabian peninsula teams aren't exactly 'African', but they traditionally play a similar style of football to past African teams - go out and run about loads and be fucking shit defensively. At least the Saudis were better than that this time.
2/5 then. I enjoyed watching them all anyway.

between 2006-2015 Ivory Coast had a squad capable of winning the AFCON six times in a row. they only won it once in 2015 just before that team broke up.
The Elephants got brutal World Cup groups and never did much at a WC.
things have moved on a lot and the best African ever squad wouldn't underachieve so badly now.

But Rylan Giroud missed a sitter just before that! He's having a good world cup alright.
Hopefully that was his last goal of the tournament. Giroud having more WC winners medals than Maradona or Zidane would be a mind melter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back