The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

and, predictably, Russia's response came with a thinly veiled threat

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems to be quite angry about unjustified steps with neither moral nor legal grounds that constitute a flagrant violation of the universally recognised principle and norms of international law.

Interesting

I’ve posted these boys before - ultimate academic war wonks - but they pick up on trends days before they are reported elsewhere.

Interesting analysis of what might happen next
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-annexation-occupied-ukraine-putin’s-unacceptable-“-ramp”

and, predictably, Russia's response came with a thinly veiled threat

I'm wondering what the audience for these press releases is. They consistently center their outrage around the idea that other people are breaching international norms, Agreements, Treaties, rejection of civilized ways, and so on. The audience does not believe Ukraine is happening I'm guessing?

The childish, weaselly language is another consistent thing.

"...
Judge yourself.
not a hint of it."

They have dedicated intelligent communications people whose job it is to compile these press releases, so I'm guessing it works. But it's jarring to see international communications this whiny and self pitying sounding. North Korea talks some shit, but they manage not to come off sounding like Kevin The Teenager.

"In Latvia, the problem of settling the score with one's own historical past is looming large."

I guess this is a threat. Does it make sense? I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to say. Presumably they'll be the ones coming to settle scores. You've got a nuclear power managing to come off less intimidating than a fat sweaty lad from Mountmellick on twitter looking to bate the head off Mikey Sr.

Poor Latvia has to be wondering what the hell is going on.

It's Trumpian sort of shite talking

I’ve posted these boys before - ultimate academic war wonks - but they pick up on trends days before they are reported elsewhere.

Interesting analysis of what might happen next
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-annexation-occupied-ukraine-putin’s-unacceptable-“-ramp”

Cracking read there.

Essentially the only glimmer of hope for a liveable situation is a Russian military collapse/failure.
Not a sure shot by any means.

Putin is still stronger, in the sense that he is capable of anything, the escalation is always on his side.
His enemies are in the situation of trying to figure his next move and what can be done about it.

We should give the Ukrainians every single weapon they ask for.

I'm wondering what the audience for these press releases is.
I get you, man. But the audience is large.
It's people who read Sputnik or watch RT or RIAN. Or any other Russian state news service.
And loo-lahs like Mick Wallace and Clare Daly.
Anyone who believes that the real evil in the world is NATO and the West, and that Putin is a counter to that.
There's a lot of them about.
And the petulance teenagery tone comes from the need to drive a sense of grievance, to justify whatever shit they're gonna do/say next.

Or that's how I process it in anyways.

I agree with deadmanposting. I've been saying this for years, Russians are proudly emotional rather than logical. They will tell you so themselves if you ask one. There's always an excuse for everything.

It seems bizarre to us western musical internet wizards. But that's how it is.

Culturally, Russian speaking Ukrainians, Latvians etc are not like that. Russians who live outside Russia are not like that. It's very 1984, it really is. No one on this side of the world seems to get that.

Last edited:
I agree with deadmanposting. I've been saying this for years, Russians are proudly emotional rather than logical. They will tell you so themselves if you ask one. There's always an excuse for everything.

It seems bizarre to us western musical internet wizards. But that's how it is.

Culturally, Russian speaking Ukrainians, Latvians etc are not like that. Russians who live outside Russia are not like that. It's very 1984, it really is. No one on this side of the world seems to get that.
First section of todays report speaks to that point..

First section of todays report speaks to that point..

It really is a whole different mindset

And even the supporters of the war, have no clue what the strategy is

The Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers. Those bloggers have begun commenting on the incompetence of the Russian military to their hundreds of thousands of followers. The attempted river crossing showed a stunning lack of tactical sense as satellite images show (destroyed) Russian vehicles tightly bunched up at both ends of the (destroyed) bridge, clearly allowing Ukrainian artillerymen to kill hundreds and destroy scores of vehicles with concentrated strikes. The milbloggers who have hitherto been cheering on the Russian military criticized Russian armed forces leadership for failing to learn from experience in the war. They also expressed the concern that the constant pushing of Russia’s propaganda lines was making it hard for them to understand what was actually going on.

The effects of this change in tone and discourse by these milbloggers are uncertain but could be potent. People living under tightly censored regimes often trust individuals who seem to be independent of but generally aligned with the government more than the government line (even more than do citizens of democratic societies). The commentary by these widely read milbloggers may fuel burgeoning doubts in Russia about Russia’s prospects in this war and the competence of Russia’s military leaders (at least).

First the Russian milbloggers having a go, now this guy on the TV saying Russia is in trouble
Basically saying that in any fight, the guy that's willing to die has the advantage - and right now that's the Ukrainians

Your wan here keeps pushing back on the guy, but he's laying it out fairly plainly (or what passes for plainly) on Russian TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back