Tour de France 2007 thread (2 Viewers)

egan bernal badly injured in a collision with a bus.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

egan bernal badly injured in a collision with a bus.

heard about this on Monday but I only now realised the extent of Egan's injuries - devastating news.
don't know what else to say

looks like he hit the back of a stationary bus, you can see he left a sizable dent in it.

Man. I saw the Bernal thing when it was announced, but it didn't seem quite as bad initially.

This is awful.

Bernard Quilfen (1949 - 29 January 2022)
Quilfen was pro from 1976-82 riding for Cyrille Guimard's teams.
He won a stage at the 1977 Tour and was a team mate of Hinault for three grand tour wins with Renault (Vuelta '78, Tour '78 and Giro '80). After retiring in 1982 Quilfen became a director sportif with Renault and stayed with Guimard until he left Cofidis in 1997 (Guimard was facing tax evasion charges and resigned).
Quilfen retired from Cofidis in 2011 after almost 30 years as a DS.

R.I.P. a very handy Belgian cyclist I didn't know -

Frans Aerenhouts (1937 - 30 January 2022)
Twice Ghent-Wevelgem winner (1960-61) who won a Vuelta stage in 1963.
With Mercier Aerenhouts helped Poulidor win the 1964 Vuelta and rode two of his four Tours in Poulidor's service.

Dean Woods (1966 - 3 February 2022)
Aussie Dean Woods was an Olympic champion aged 18 in 1984, as part of the team pursuit squad.
Apparently they rode on old school bikes and didn't have the modern kit of their rivals (disc wheels and profile bikes had just been introduced). Woods later won Olympic bronze and silver in 1988 (team and individual pursuit respectively) and team pursuit bronze again in Atlanta 1996 when O'Grady was a team mate.
He raced as a pro in Europe with Hennie Kuiper's Stuttgart team (later to become Telekom) and rode the Vuelta twice (1990/91). Dean had cancer.

Colin Lewis (1942 - 4 February 2022)
Welsh cyclist Lewis rode the 1967 Tour de France as a team mate of Tom Simpson who died on Mont Ventoux during the race. In a 2000's documentary Lewis said he was aware Simpson used amphetamines and was the first team mate of TS to admit this.
After finishing 84th in the 1967 Tour, Lewis failed to finish the 1968 edition but was British Champion both of those years. I am not sure if Lewis was the first Welsh Tour rider but the next Welsh Tour starter was Geraint Thomas forty years later. Wales being a cycling backwater until the arrival of Nicole Cooke.

Did we all enjoy watching Pogacar having fun in the Straide Bianchi on sunday?

I think he has a lot to thank Froome and co for, because no one seems to have any fight left in them to call out dopers anymore.

I just can't engage with pro-cycling anymore. I prefer watching the women's racing, but even that's dubious as hell.

Paris-Nice used to be my favourite race of the year because it was what really marked the start of the season. It was also a race the Irish have cleaned up in over the years. But now with Nico and Dan retired, and Sam starting his season in the middle east, I don't know can I be bother.

Though today's stage is a flat race, straight north-to-south, with strong side winds predicted. Perfect conditions for echelons, so could be worth the watch.

Did we all enjoy watching Pogacar having fun in the Straide Bianchi on sunday?

I think he has a lot to thank Froome and co for, because no one seems to have any fight left in them to call out dopers anymore.

I just can't engage with pro-cycling anymore. I prefer watching the women's racing, but even that's dubious as hell.

Paris-Nice used to be my favourite race of the year because it was what really marked the start of the season. It was also a race the Irish have cleaned up in over the years. But now with Nico and Dan retired, and Sam starting his season in the middle east, I don't know can I be bother.

Though today's stage is a flat race, straight north-to-south, with strong side winds predicted. Perfect conditions for echelons, so could be worth the watch.
yeah - the women's Strade Bianche was awesome! what a finish - a contender for race finale of the year already. the last km begins @1:36:00

What a disappointment the men's race was - total crap. no excitement after the awful crash mid way through the race where on one of the white gravel sections a huge gust of wind blew a load of riders off inc. sending Alaphilippe over the handlebars.

Paris-Nice's depressing stage 2 today was like the infamous Fleche Wallonne in 1994 where three team mates Argentin, Berzin and Furlan just raised the tempo on the penultimate passage of the Muur de Huy and without a full on attack rode away to the finish and took all the places on the podium for Gweiss.
the team doctor Michele Ferrari said EPO was no more dangerous than orange juice in an interview after the race.
today it was Jumbo's Roglic, Van Aert and a huge surprise performance from LaPorte.
so when I when to look for the Paris-Nice stage link - I found this Irish guy making the same analogy.
who is this? he's new to me.

EDIT: Cycling Stories is a newcomer who joined youtube in December 2021. he's based in the USA according to his profile.
END EDIT.

Mr rettucsutter you live in Lativa now - right?
I know cycling is especially big in Estonia. but I remember the lads in maroon like Ugrumov, Piziks, Vainsteins, Skuijins and another great name Ravis Belohovsciks (sic).
how popular is bike racing out there compared to here?

Last edited:
the big revelation to me in this one is that even if you've won the Vuelta twice, you got hardcore some hardcore mistreatment in police custody in France in July 1998.

didn't know former ONCE Dr. Torredos later worked for Sevilla FC but I am not surprised.

yeah - the women's Strade Bianche was awesome! what a finish - a contender for race finale of the year already. the last km begins @1:36:00

What a disappointment the men's race was - total crap. no excitement after the awful crash mid way through the race where on one of the white gravel sections a huge gust of wind blew a load of riders off inc. sending Alaphilippe over the handlebars.

Paris-Nice's depressing stage 2 today was like the infamous Fleche Wallonne in 1994 where three team mates Argentin, Berzin and Furlan just raised the tempo on the penultimate passage of the Muur de Huy and without a full on attack rode away to the finish and took all the places on the podium for Gweiss.
the team doctor Michele Ferrari said EPO was no more dangerous than orange juice in an interview after the race.
today it was Jumbo's Roglic, Van Aert and a huge surprise performance from LaPorte.
so when I when to look for the Paris-Nice stage link - I found this Irish guy making the same analogy.
who is this? he's new to me.

EDIT: Cycling Stories is a newcomer who joined youtube in December 2021. he's based in the USA according to his profile.
END EDIT.

I know cycling is especially big in Estonia. but I remember the lads in maroon like Ugrumov, Piziks, Vainsteins, Skuijins and another great name Ravis Belohovsciks (sic).

Haha the fuckin carnage in that windy video!

no, but I'm over and back a lot. Will spend maybe 3 months a year there. Back in Ireland now til the end of May.

The weather there isn't really conducive to cycling so I'm amazed anyone ever makes it pro. I was there in January and saw a group out riding on the outskirts of Riga on road bikes. It was -6 degrees. I've never been out in anything colder than -3 and I'd never do that again. After that I imposed a +3 minimum rule on myself. The roads only cleared of snow in the last few weeks and, after the initial clearing, the roads are in shite. Potholes everywhere.

I was in Latvia the summer before last when the nationals were on. They were held in Sigulda, which is the traditional base for the elite winter sports athletes. Thats where the bobsleigh run is. I think Toms Skuijns won that year but regardless, I didn't make it down to see it. I do recall that there were Lithuanians and Estonians in the top 10, however that works. I have a feeling they're allowed race, but can't win.

They have 3 pros at the moment. Skuijns with Trek. Emils Leipins, also with Trek and Krists Neilands with Israel. You'll see Toms in a breakaway, Leipins might will an occasional sprint in a lesser race, and you won't near much of Neilands.

That's gas about that P-R stage yesterday. But no one gives a shit anymore. Without having a figure of hate that everyone wants to bring down (Froome, Lance), those lads have a free run at it. The sport is a joke, but I'm probably deluding myself if I ever think it wasn't a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back