The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

I think Cast might be the only Britpop band where I never heard a single song by them that I thought was good, and I can mount a defence for some serious Britpop also-rans. What's an impressive song by them?

I'm trying to read this at the minute, but it is boring me to tears.

41R59Y8MObL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I keep on meaning to get that but then I remember that it's written by John Harris and come on, like. It must be an interesting artefact from 2003 though?

I think Cast might be the only Britpop band where I never heard a single song by them that I thought was good, and I can mount a defence for some serious Britpop also-rans. What's an impressive song by them?
Oh I dunno . This I suppose

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I keep on meaning to get that but then I remember that it's written by John Harris and come on, like. It must be an interesting artefact from 2003 though?
You would be more of a bookworm than me, so might not struggle as much. One to order from the library though. The introduction references the famous Damon at Downing Street meeting and it drained all the enthusiasm from me.

I'm not far in, but each chapter has been like a short summary of the main players. Suede has been the only interesting bit for me because I hadn't heard it all before.

I am seriously not getting the Cast love on here. That's a band I don't get. Is there some other band called Cast that I've never heard of?

Pure sound of 1997, i'll give it that. Be Here Now.

It sounds a long, long way from Elastica releasing Stutter.

What’s wrong with John Harris? He’s one of the best political video journalists in the UK, as well as a good state-of-the-nation political writer.

What’s wrong with John Harris? He’s one of the best political video journalists in the UK, as well as a good state-of-the-nation political writer.
I don't think he's that. Well I have no opinion on his video journalism specifically, but I find his overall politics boring boring boring. He doesn't want change, he has no demands, he just wants to scold people and act righteously. He's still living in the 90s appropriately enough.

Anyway, that said, I ordered a copy of the book! We'll see if I end up eating my words.

Last edited:
Blur, IMO, only got good after the Oasis thing. Was very much team Oasis back in 95 but as time has gone on I came to view them as spectacularly ordinary.

Even listened to the first 2 albums again recently on the back of listening to the McGee book, did nothing for me now.

Nearly got myself killed when I got in trouble in the crowd at one of their gigs in the point in 96, definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

Blur, IMO, only got good after the Oasis thing. Was very much team Oasis back in 95 but as time has gone on I came to view them as spectacularly ordinary.

Even listened to the first 2 albums again recently on the back of listening to the McGee book, did nothing for me now.

Nearly got myself killed when I got in trouble in the crowd at one of their gigs in the point in 96, definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

my take on all this:
I can still just about listen to Definitely Maybe if I have to. Despite knowing it inside out and backwards, What's the Story is pretty unlistenable to me these days, although I still like Some Might Say and Roll With It and a few b-sides from around then.

In all honesty, I think The Great Escape has just gotten better and better over the years. Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife make sense as off kilter indie albums by an indie band who suddenly blow up by being the right people there at the right time. The Great Escape is proper under-the-microscope of fame and hating it madness. I consider it one of the most depressing and unfriendly albums of the 90s; there's so little compassion for anyone, just horror at the world. People wrote it off as something they called "pre-millenial angst" at the time but most of it holds up really well now, The Universal is basically describing Facebook and Bitcoin without having the words for what they are yet and saying "it really, really, really could happen." There's an old b-side from that period where the chorus to the song is just Damon singing "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be here" while the music tries and fails to sound fun, which I'd say is fairly where he was at at that point.

Blur and especially 13 are more palatable albums in general, they're less intellectual and snarky and they kind of breath a bit easier emotionally. I totally get why someone would hate all of Blur before 13 but, under duress, admit that 13 is pretty good.

Last edited:
my take on all this:
I can still just about listen to Definitely Maybe if I have to. Despite knowing it inside out and backwards, What's the Story is pretty unlistenable to me these days, although I still like Some Might Say and Roll With It and a few b-sides from around then.

In all honesty, I think The Great Escape has just gotten better and better over the years. Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife make sense as off kilter indie albums by an indie band who suddenly blow up by being the right people there at the right time. The Great Escape is proper under-the-microscope of fame and hating it madness. I consider it one of the most depressing and unfriendly albums of the 90s; there's so little compassion for anyone, just horror at the world. People wrote it off as something they called "pre-millenial angst" at the time but most of it holds up really well now, The Universal is basically describing Facebook without knowing what it is and saying "it really, really, really could happen." There's an old b-side from that period where the chorus to the song is just Damon singing "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be here" while the music tries and fails to sound fun, which I'd say is fairly where he was at at that point.

Blur and especially 13 are more palatable albums in general, they're less intellectual and snarky and they kind of breath a bit easier emotionally. I totally get why someone would hate all of Blur before 13 but, under duress, admit that 13 is pretty good.

Actually, I do agree that The Universal is a great song, mentally I had it placed on one of the later records.

"Girls and Boys" was a particularly big hit in my school and at the time I thought ti was really stupid so that soured my broader view on them for ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back