General election 2020 (4 Viewers)

I don't mean this in a troll-y way but in a genuine one, the more the Irish Times posts opinion pieces by the old established order of ex-ministers and current affairs journalists worrying about a Sinn Fein government the more I want to see a Sinn Fein government

we’re finally getting some semblance of an emerging left-right divide, a hundred years late, and it’s driving these clowns mad. the idea that the plain people of ireland disagree with their sensible neoliberalism just does not compute for them.

In a way, I hope to see a lot more of these sorts of articles, as an emerging data point to measure just how scared they are

i'm curious as to whether the IT is deliberately commissioning these pieces or whether they're allowing the paper to be used like a letters page for Important Men With Opinions.

That's really important.

One place i worked, i got confronted by 'local rep' in the bar once because 'other party' was getting a lot of press compared to them.

I told them that I personally ran the email acc and other entity were sending about six times the press and wether i liked it or not, is was of relevance.

FF don't get my vote either so i'm not too conflicted there.

strangely, i saw the local FF chap (paul mcauliffe, but he wasn't a TD at the time IIRC - he is now) campaigning for the abortion referendum - for a yes vote - call to the door of the local parish priest, who lives two doors up. i was doing something in the front garden and tried to get his attention, in an 'i wouldn't bother calling in there' way, but he rang the doorbell anyway and came up to me after and told me he was making it his duty to call to every house. i wonder what he had intended to say to the priest, he knew well whose doorbell he was ringing. maybe he was going to ask forgiveness.

FF don't get my vote either so i'm not too conflicted there.

You get the reason for the response though - FF can be actively complicit in violence at an american level and never face any commupance from it, but a mention of SF and all of sudden the talk of violence is in the fore. It's a dual standard in our social dialog, so while i'm not trying to drag you, i do think it's worth pointing out at every juncture of framing irish politics through relations to violence just to understand our democracy in it's current form

I dunno how anyone can vote for FF or FG these days, except for the usual phlegm of relatives and priests and old people.
The Greens, I mean you can see why people might vote for them, not that they're doing anything close to what they're meant to be doing. At least they're mostly not making a show of themselves all the time, with the exception of Ryan. I wouldn't vote for them, as they don't give a fuck about poor people basically, but like there does seem to be the odd decent green policy coming through it seems. Well, I mean, having more cycle lanes is nice, anyway.
The Sinners, I'll never vote for them unless they actually get into government and do a good job. I don't trust them to do this because their NI version of this has always been a corrupt shit-show; however, I will allow them the argument that there's not much they can really do because it's a power-sharing administration. It's just an argument though, and it's not borne out by specific individual issues; they've consistently voted on infrastructure issues in favour of existing vested interests that are simply using them for profiteering.

So given all that, why are more people not voting for the likes of PBP or even Social Democrats? At least they might give a fuck about things. Labour of course are right out, any party that allows Burton to remain attached can get absolutely fucked. Plus Kelly is a fucking lizard anyway. Aontu, isn't that just for old catholic farmers?

PBP/S (not to mention RISE, and AAA) suffer from very obvious alphabet left comedy syndrome that plays right into the hands of the media, but they do all right all things considered. Soc Dems do alright as well as far as I can tell. None of them run many candidates though, do they? No representation around most of the country, the Greens at least have that.

I dunno how anyone can vote for FF or FG these days, except for the usual phlegm of relatives and priests and old people.
The Greens, I mean you can see why people might vote for them, not that they're doing anything close to what they're meant to be doing. At least they're mostly not making a show of themselves all the time, with the exception of Ryan. I wouldn't vote for them, as they don't give a fuck about poor people basically, but like there does seem to be the odd decent green policy coming through it seems. Well, I mean, having more cycle lanes is nice, anyway.
The Sinners, I'll never vote for them unless they actually get into government and do a good job. I don't trust them to do this because their NI version of this has always been a corrupt shit-show; however, I will allow them the argument that there's not much they can really do because it's a power-sharing administration. It's just an argument though, and it's not borne out by specific individual issues; they've consistently voted on infrastructure issues in favour of existing vested interests that are simply using them for profiteering.

So given all that, why are more people not voting for the likes of PBP or even Social Democrats? At least they might give a fuck about things. Labour of course are right out, any party that allows Burton to remain attached can get absolutely fucked. Plus Kelly is a fucking lizard anyway. Aontu, isn't that just for old catholic farmers?
the best politician in my area for local issues is FF so I can well see why people vote for him. He's getting into schools and sports clubs and championing their causes. I could never bring myself to vote for him, but if I had a kid in the local Gaelscoil I probably would as he got them a new building (they were in prefabs for years)

PBP/S (not to mention RISE, and AAA) suffer from very obvious alphabet left comedy syndrome that plays right into the hands of the media, but they do all right all things considered. Soc Dems do alright as well as far as I can tell. None of them run many candidates though, do they? No representation around most of the country, the Greens at least have that.

I think the SocDems have done a decent job in this term of this dail in establishing the idea that they're a proper political party with actual other members beyond Shortall and Murphy and whatever people might think of Cairns and (mostly) Gannon that could potentially impact well for them whenever the next election comes around. Their 5% polling mightn't reflect people's willingness to give them 2nd or 3rd preferences. You could see them eventually occupying the space that labour has traditionally because I think they're closer to circling the plughole than even FF are.

They should ditch the co-leader thing though, it's just feels small time.

Anyway, we're all looking forward to Leo being Taoiseach again this year right?

You get the reason for the response though - FF can be actively complicit in violence at an american level and never face any commupance from it, but a mention of SF and all of sudden the talk of violence is in the fore. It's a dual standard in our social dialog, so while i'm not trying to drag you, i do think it's worth pointing out at every juncture of framing irish politics through relations to violence just to understand our democracy in it's current form

I don't think from an ethical perspective the position holds up but plenty of people will feel that stuff that happened "here" carries more weight than stuff that happened "some other place." And in that thinking the flights, even though they went through Shannon count as "some other place."

Edit: A, I see you covered that in another post.

I don't think from an ethical perspective the position holds up but plenty of people will feel that stuff that happened "here" carries more weight than stuff that happened "some other place." And in that thinking the flights, even though they went through Shannon count as "some other place."

Edit: A, I see you covered that in another post.
in one sense it's like being a meat eater and blaming the butcher for animals dying. or in another sense, it's like selling the animals and declaring yourself innocent because what happens those animals after you sell them is not your responsibility.
but yep, i'm not going to vote for someone with a bombing conviction.

in one sense it's like being a meat eater and blaming the butcher for animals dying. or in another sense, it's like selling the animals and declaring yourself innocent because what happens those animals after you sell them is not your responsibility.
but yep, i'm not going to vote for someone with a bombing conviction.

Is he your TD? Could you see yourself voting for the second, other candidate that they will almost certainly run next time as he was elected with 1.75 quotas at the last election (assuming they didn't do any "stuff")?

i wouldn't be surprised if the second SF candidate gets in on the coat tails of ellis next time round. i can't remember who that was last time, though.
shortall is another of my TDs, she's usually up near the top of my voting preferences. andrew montague too, and i usually throw the greens a high preference but they don't have any history of doing well here.

invite him in for an aul drop, set up your phone to record, move the topic to immigrants, get him to say something mad racist.

Release it to all media outlets 4 days before the election.

Job. Done.
Says it like it is, no filter, not polished but someone has to say it, etc.

Continues to win by a landslide.

Their very own pussygrabber tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back