The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (3 Viewers)

The 70s are like another planet to me, I listen along with bemusement and try and make sense of it. I can't recreate that context, not least because people would see something on tv once at most, or maybe they'd just hear a mate talking about what they saw and imagine the rest, so watching/listening back now is like doing archeology or something for me.

My theory is the 60s/70s were a bit of Cambrian explosion from the perspective of music.
Music wasn't shit before that, but there were rules. Fair enough, black people might have gotten up to wacky stuff with their Jazzz and so on, but in real terms there were rules and you operated within a framework.

Then something happened (heh) in the 60s and bands realised that they could do some wacky shit themselves, and still flog records. I don't want to bring up The Beatles, but... The Beatles, you can see them doing shit songs, that followed the rules, until at some point the penny dropped and they started doing anything they felt like more or less. The record companies, who'd normally tell bands to go fuck themselves, were in a tricky position because they were clearly raking in cash.

So now bands, who'd been hired under one set of rules, realised that they too could do wacky shit, anything at all was fair game because the record labels had been wrong footed and didn't know what the rules were any more. Some cunt who lived in the bedroom of his parent's gaff assembled a weird guitar riff and then fucked a load of bonging bell yokes onto it, and seemingly this worked? Tubular Bells is a thing now is it? Huh. OK.
So... like, what else is a thing?

So you had this really constrained, careful, conservative industry, which realised almost overnight that they really didn't know what was selling records any more. Bands had always been doing stuff, but the industry ignored it, then a transition occurred and suddenly the industry said fuck it, try stuff, put it on TV, see what sticks.

Norwegians whose fathers were German soldiers were all institutionalised out of national embarrassment and were only freed and got an apology in their 40's.
oh huh. I think I read a book about that without knowing it. The Half Brother, by Lars Saabye Christensen. I don't think it was ever said directly within the book, but it was maybe an unspoken truth that a Norwegian would just know.

Unfortunately I'm not a Norwegian.

Alicia Keys.

Or more, i'm not convinced people like her actually have fans outside of commissioned journalists and editors doing tokenism. She's just famous because she wrote one big bit 20 years ago (fair play, more than I ever did) and she's been moving in famous circles ever since, and we've been told she's famous ever since.

What do you think? Anyone know any die-hard Alicia Keys fans? Willing to be wrong here (very big of me)

Glad i never listened to bright eyes from looking at him there. Reckon I have enough to live with past bands I liked.
I've managed to see him live in at least three different incarnations thanks to some friends. He does this impressive thing where all his lyrics are a page of dense text that's he's going to sing start to finish song-structure be damned.

Like, it's not that I think he's bad, or good, or don't see the talent, I just don't get it. I have no interest in listening to him.

Last edited:
I've managed to see him live in at least three different incarnations thanks to some friends. He does this impressive thing where all his lyrics are a page of dense text that's he's going to sing start to finish song-structure be damned.

Don't you like the manics? Wasn't that Richie's thing?

Don't you like the manics? Wasn't that Richie's thing?
Less than people make out although at times yes, but that's kind of what i'm getting at; I can see the talent, and can identify unique characteristics in Conor Oberst that show he isn't just a standard run of the mill sad boy with a guitar songwriter, and yet it all does nothing for me. I'm genuinely intrigued by how much I don't get it!

Fucked Up. I know the singer is a nice guy and pure punk fan, but holy shit if any band was hyped up from nothing it’s these guys. There are no songs there. The ultimate Vice band.

Fucked Up. I know the singer is a nice guy and pure punk fan, but holy shit if any band was hyped up from nothing it’s these guys. There are no songs there. The ultimate Vice band.
I got the Year of the Pig compilation and really liked it. Everything else has been utter crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back