World Trade Centre Towers thing (1 Viewer)

I'm almost ashamed to be as cynical as I am being,

but when the "stars" teleaton was on (all over American TV and sky news on firday night) who was leading the all star perfromance of the national anthem but Willie (I owe the IRS absolutely millions of dollars) Nelson.

If you remeber back to the Film "Wag The Dog" with Rob De Niro and Dustin Hoffman who did they get to record the song to go with the moral building faux war they staged.......Willie (my god I owe SO much tax money to the American Government) Nelson....

life imiatating art or art imitating life.....

or me being far to cynical

hey just came across this which i found interesting when you consider that mullah omar the spiritual leader of the taliban has said in the past that is wrong to take drugs but okay to sell them...

Bush Gives Taliban $10 Million To Fight Opium
Run Date: 05/26/01

(WOMENSENEWS)—The Bush administration has given Afghanistan $43 million including $10 million for “other livelihood and food security programs,” a reference to the ruling Taliban's ban on poppy cultivation that dramatically changed the economy of the war-torn nation. The poppy is the source of opium and the crop had provided significant revenues to Afghan farmers. The aid was described as humanitarian.

In addition to being an ally in the U.S. war against drugs, the Taliban also has banned the education of girls and women. It has banned women from professions and from most outside-the-home employment, even with international relief agencies. It has banned women from seeing male doctors and it prevents women from practicing medicine.

Colin Powell, in announcing the gift, said the administration hoped that the Taliban "will act on a number of fundamental issues that separate us: their support of terrorism, their violation of internationally recognized human rights--especially their treatment of women and girls--and their refusal to resolve Afghanistan's civil war through a negotiated settlement." He also called on other nation's to join the U.S. with “dispatch and energy.”

C u l t u r e W a t c h
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
United pilot: throw blankets on hijackers

A pilot's message to passengers Saturday, September
15, aboard United Airlines Flight 564 out of Denver,
as described by a passenger to John McCaslin, who
in turn reported in The Washington News:

"Sometimes a potential hijacker will announce that
he has a bomb. There are no bombs on this aircraft
and if someone were to get up and make that claim,
don't believe him. If someone were to stand up,
brandish something such as a plastic knife and say,
"This is a hijacking" or words to that effect, here
is what you should do:

"Every one of you should stand up and immediately
throw things at that person - pillows, books,
magazines, eyeglasses, shoes - anything that will
throw him off balance and distract his attention.
If he has a confederate or two, do the same with
them. Most important: Get a blanket over him, then
wrestle him to the floor and keep him there.
We'll land the plane at the nearest airport and
the authorities will take it from there.

"Remember, there will be one of him and maybe a
few confederates, but there are 200 of you. Now,
since we're a family for the next few hours, I'll
ask you to turn to the person next to you, introduce
yourself, tell them a little about yourself and ask
them to do the same."

At the end of his address, Flight 564's passengers
gave their pilot a round of applause.

Pervert Mechanic was last online on the 10th September 2001.

But he posted here about september 11.

Spooky.

Am I wrong to get annoyed by the fetishization of this 9/11 thing?

Every year it fucks me off. This is probably a shitty take, but the constant world standing as one to memorialize 9/11 bollocks implies to me that it's been the other stuff that's happened in the intervening period doesn't matter as much.

I don't think this is whataboutism. I think it's a hard implication that Americans are beyond touching, and everyone else is potentially collateral damage. American lives are more important than other people's lives.

For better or worse I moved to NYC... I think less than two years after this? And every year there were huge outpourings of grief on the anniversary. You'd feel things getting geared up, and then the day would come and you'd have to be very sad.

Vast numbers of people getting killed, relentlessly, year on year, in basically identical scenarios. Going about your daily life and then bang. But we get sad about that time it happened to Americans.

Nah. It can fuck off. The US had been actively fucking with populations since Mohammad Mosaddegh. I'm not implying they deserved it, but I feel precisely the same as I felt on the day in 2001: you fuck around, you find out.

I felt the same way immediately after the 9/11 disaster e.g. -

there was a memorial service broadcast from an Anglican cathedral in London on the Friday after 9/11 which was a day of mourning / public holiday.
some of the many low points included singing the US national anthem (in a church in London)
and a priest saying freedom had always being at the heart of America (tell that one to native Americans or African Americans).

there was a lot of people behaving in an insane way in the aftermath.

millions of people died in the NE of Democratic Congo in the late 90's and it got very little coverage.

I felt the same way immediately after the 9/11 disaster e.g. -

there was a memorial service broadcast from an Anglican cathedral in London on the Friday after 9/11 which was a day of mourning / public holiday.
some of the many low points included singing the US national anthem (in a church in London)
and a priest saying freedom had always being at the heart of America (tell that one to native Americans or African Americans).

there was a lot of people behaving in an insane way in the aftermath.
Lol. The Brits love a nice bit of mawkish bollocks. Lady Diana, Princess of HEAAAARRRRRTS. Charadee.

But yeah, there's a nice selective sorrow thing going on. Ask someone how many people died in Nazi death/concentration camps. They'll likely say ~6 million. About half the number that's estimated, because more than half the people killed didn't have a good PR campaign in the aftermath.

No PR == don't really matter / exist. Literally killed in the same place, at the same time. But don't really matter as much.

Lol. The Brits love a nice bit of mawkish bollocks. Lady Diana, Princess of HEAAAARRRRRTS. Charadee.

But yeah, there's a nice selective sorrow thing going on. Ask someone how many people died in Nazi death/concentration camps. They'll likely say ~6 million. About half the number that's estimated, because more than half the people killed didn't have a good PR campaign in the aftermath.

No PR == don't really matter / exist. Literally killed in the same place, at the same time. But don't really matter as much.
good point. I think 17 plus million (?) people were killed in nazi genocide in WW2.
e.g. 6 million Poles died inc 3.5 million Polish Jews.
anyone living between Berlin and Moscow did well to survive at all.

Sky News have a news programme aimed at kids.
a girl aged about 13 did a segment on terrorism yesterday.
she said statistically you are more likely to be stuck by lightning than killed by terrorism.
this flies in the face of 20 years of hysteria by the same news channel.
and even then the terrorists are likely to be far right nutcases.

good point. I think 17 plus million (?) people were killed in nazi genocide in WW2.
The scale of what happened on the eastern front (in every sense) is overwhelming when you read into in.

it puts the ‘Britan stands alone’ bollix into perspective

yeah, there's estimates all over the place. What seems fairly consistent is the number of jewish deaths accounts for a little under half of the total number.

Anecdotally I've noticed if you ask for a number you'll be given the something around the total of Jewish deaths, around the 6 million mark.

So you have to pick one. Either some people's lives are more important than others: the people in the WTC etc matter more than some bunch of Arabs, the Jewish people killed by the Nazis matter more than the others. Or they aren't.

If you only count, or acknowledge certain groups, it implies that you can pick and choose whose life is more important, and you end up on the side of the Eugenicists. But you have to pick one, you are either on the Eugenics side, and you're comfortable with that, or you aren't.

All these countries memorializing 9/11 year after year, and flatly ignoring (or coming close to) other people who've subsequently died in far greater numbers in equally horrific circumstances, puts them in Eugenics land. They're saying Bush/Cheney/Blair etc were right, you're ok with regularly annihilating towns and villages, the vast numbers killed don't matter because they're Untermensch, let's press on, and rinse and repeat this heroic ethnic cleansing next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back