Unpopular Opinions (4 Viewers)

I remember Off The Ball had a whole show about this years ago. "What's a game and what's a sport?".

They couldn't work it out. So why should we?

I think there's no real divide. In games, winning and losing is inconsequential I guess.
In sports, you win a medal or you don't. So, and I'm out of my depth here, I guess it's.....A CONSTRUCT.

And away we go...

I mean I'm really not reinventing the wheel by just looking in the dictionary.*

*my unpopular opionion seems to be that you can just look up what the words mean

sport noun (GAME)​

A1 [ C ]
a game, competition, or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job:

an entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity:
a board game
indoor/computer games
The children played a game of cops and robbers.
I told the children to put their toys and games away.
A2 [ C ]
a particular competition, match, or occasion when people play a game:

Not sure about Men's Health, but I've heard that serious chess players will regularly finish games a few kilos lighter.
While I have no doubts that stress is contributing to that calorie count, I’d imagine an awful lot of energy is expended by actually thinking. Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy at any given time, imagine you’re having it in top gear for hours at a time and hoofing the glucose into it. I’d love to stick some serious chess players into an MRI scanner or a PET machine and see how much of an uptick there is and how it looks over a sustained time.

While I have no doubts that stress is contributing to that calorie count, I’d imagine an awful lot of energy is expended by actually thinking. Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy at any given time, imagine you’re having it in top gear for hours at a time and hoofing the glucose into it. I’d love to stick some serious chess players into an MRI scanner or a PET machine and see how much of an uptick there is and how it looks over a sustained time.
It's something you could do too.
The likes of Morphy did blindfolded simuls, where he'd be playing a rake of the best players in the world simultaneously, blindfolded. So I suppose the entire thing could happen inside a scanner. Fischer hated noise when he was playing, demanded that cameras be put far away from him in special sound-proof boxes.

I posted up an interview with Chucky a while back that gives you an idea of the intensity they run their brains though.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Magnus is getting "old" now, and he can't obliterate players in the middle game, so he's changed his style to getting to an endgame and grinding, and to allow this he's stepped up fitness to decent enough levels.

Doesn’t look good for my thinking your way skinny hypothesis:

in fairness, I should probably have known this as I’ve actually measured glucose directly from the brain in rats doing a cognitive task.

in fairness, I should probably have known this as I’ve actually measured glucose directly from the brain in rats doing a cognitive task.
I mean, science and facts have never come in the way of making up total bullshit ideas and flogging them for vast amounts of money.

Get a few YouTube influencers to swear up and down they took your approach and thought themselves skinny and you'll be sorted.

I was in a talk given by some lad who was wafting smells into drosophila... emmm... let's say noses, having ripped off their heads and pulled off their little skulls (they were still grand though) and then scanned the brain as the smell pinged various bits of it on.

It was a cool talk, although I did feel the drosophila were probably thinking "oh this is bullshit" when their skulls got ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back