Words and phrases that are soooo...meh! Like meh (2 Viewers)

''for sure''
people whose first language isn't English say this all the time.
why don't they just say ''Yeah'' ?!

Not a terrible phrase at all but I'd love to know why this is so widely used by Europeans.
I've heard this for years and can't figure out why a phrase that is uncommon in English is widely used by the multilinguals.

''for sure''
people whose first language isn't English say this all the time.
why don't they just say ''Yeah'' ?!

Not a terrible phrase at all but I'd love to know why this is so widely used by Europeans.
I've heard this for years and can't figure out why a phrase that is uncommon in English is widely used by the multilinguals.
i say for sure sometimes

Is “for sure” an Americanism or is it some weird direct translation quirk Johnny Foreigner picks up on because of whatever the equivalent positive assertion is in their native language?

Is “for sure” an Americanism or is it some weird direct translation quirk Johnny Foreigner picks up on because of whatever the equivalent positive assertion is in their native language?
Yeah - that's more or less my guess. Either an English translation of something from another language or a mistaken belief Americans say ''for sure'' a lot.
Another guess is that when US movies and TV are translated in to other languages ''for sure'' is used a lot.

A musician friend had an insta up today because there were doing a function gig in the englands.

'view from the office today'.

I find this use of 'office' in the context of musicians to not sit well with me. Is it because the point of going to listen to some music, or to have music with a major life event is to be about as far from the office as you can mentally be, and the person responsible for that, who's been granted the local societal crown of being competent and talented enough that they are selected for these very important moments is basically on the insta going 'back to the fucking grind mate another bunch of plebs tying the knot'.
I dunno, I've always been of a mindset that wether it be a bar show, a function, a festival you are enterting sacred space, and to treat it such, and most definitely do not compare it to offices. Offices design humanity out in favour of uniformity. Fuck off like.

A musician friend had an insta up today because there were doing a function gig in the englands.

'view from the office today'.

I find this use of 'office' in the context of musicians to not sit well with me. Is it because the point of going to listen to some music, or to have music with a major life event is to be about as far from the office as you can mentally be, and the person responsible for that, who's been granted the local societal crown of being competent and talented enough that they are selected for these very important moments is basically on the insta going 'back to the fucking grind mate another bunch of plebs tying the knot'.
I dunno, I've always been of a mindset that wether it be a bar show, a function, a festival you are enterting sacred space, and to treat it such, and most definitely do not compare it to offices. Offices design humanity out in favour of uniformity. Fuck off like.

I get you, but it is a phrase I use, as a way of saying "this is just my job, it might look mad and amazing to you in your office, but I do this all the time. And really it's not that great. It's just a job, I have bills to pay". I think it's a succinct way of putting the fatigue that comes with trying hard at your intermittent job.

I've never been a pro musician though.

From what little work I've done with session/touring guns for hire type musicians, it can be soul destroying. Treating it like a 9-5 might be the only way to get through the day for him psychologically speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back