Amps (1 Viewer)

The times I've played bass I've often wondered what the point of bringing an amp was. Mostly it was D.I.'d and not mic'd and the amp was turned down so low that the room was getting whatever the soundman wanted. Also one of my first demo recording sessions the bass was just put straight into the desk. Sounded great.

Laney LC15R combo w/ Celestion Greenback

The following are not working:
Marshall JMP 50w head (needs new tubes)
Peavey Mace Combo (needs a fuse socket)
Marmac XJ60 head (nearly working)
Marmac 140H head (definitely not working)
Session Sessionette 75 (Not working)
Poker combo
Londoner L100A combo
HH V-S Musician combo

Cabs:
Marshall 1936 2x12
HH PA 2x12 w/ Celestion Creambacks

Laney LC15R combo w/ Celestion Greenback

Peavey Mace Combo (needs a fuse socket)

I have a handful of fuse sockets if ya want one. Doubt I'll ever use them.

RE DIed bass, if you're running clean it's all good and I'd say the same about guitar. Once ya ad drive and fuzz it's a different world and I always get at least one cab miced. Happy to send my clean bass to desk but ideally I'd mic both cabs (cleanish/dirty af) and have a clean DI. Been thinking of adding a nice comp for my clean side for those straight to desk situations.

I have a handful of fuse sockets if ya want one. Doubt I'll ever use them.

RE DIed bass, if you're running clean it's all good and I'd say the same about guitar. Once ya ad drive and fuzz it's a different world and I always get at least one cab miced. Happy to send my clean bass to desk but ideally I'd mic both cabs (cleanish/dirty af) and have a clean DI. Been thinking of adding a nice comp for my clean side for those straight to desk situations.
Cheers, I got a socket about 2 years ago but still haven't fitted it.

You're totally right about the DI. It only works on clean. Mic'd for heavy sounds.

Cheers, I got a socket about 2 years ago but still haven't fitted it.

You're totally right about the DI. It only works on clean. Mic'd for heavy sounds.

I defo wanna try some clean bass slamming the input transformer on a nice preamp/desk next time I'm recording.

Something I havent really developed an ear for yet is different speakers. I havent owned enough different ones really so don't have the experience. Obviously I can tell a shit one from a good one..but the nuances between good ones are harder for me to pick up on

Thats a lovely box you built there

It's simple Fanes are the best and then there's the rest.
Wow flashback,the first replacement speaker I ever bought was a fane. I got it in Pat Dolans for my Vox Venue 100 that I blew playing a gig on the back of a lorry in Donnycarney

Something I havent really developed an ear for yet is different speakers. I havent owned enough different ones really so don't have the experience. Obviously I can tell a shit one from a good one..but the nuances between good ones are harder for me to pick up on

looks better from the front than the back - miscut a piece and didn't have any more of the timber to hand.
with the exception of the grill cloth its was all made from bits and pieces I've hoarded over the years. The advantage of having a shed full of shit

looks better from the front than the back - miscut a piece and didn't have any more of the timber to hand.
with the exception of the grill cloth its was all made from bits and pieces I've hoarded over the years. The advantage of having a shed full of shit

You could probably get knuckles for it off ebay. Good stuff though - I'm about two projects out from somethign similar

IMHO speakers are probably one of the most important variables in getting a good tone. As always Johan Segeborn has all the answers, although this video is only about Celestions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't think I've ever knowingly played through a Fane speaker. Is there a stand out model?

I'm not great with model numbers but generally 70s Hiwatt or Sound City cabs with Fanes have been my favourites. We must have a play date in our arch some day and I can show ya the Fanes and McKenzies we have. I have some lovely Goodman's Audioms too but they live at home and lack a bit in the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back