General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

I've seen it argued that the CETA arbitration stuff is a good thing to bring up with Fianna Fail TDs as it should work against their Irish sovereignty slant as a party.

This is total horseshit. How do you think he's going to make money out of voting for CETA?
That’s a stronger statement than mine was.

I never said he’s going to make money out of CETA.

Just scanning through his wiki informs me that
He’s a self serving politician who’s more into making it look like he gives a shit than actually doing anything that his party is supposed to.
he’s a commerce degree from UCD
was (maybe still is?) a private business owner.
And he couldn’t even stay awake to vote DOWN. A minimum wage bill.

I am open to persuasion but I’m pretty sure I’ve my mind made up.
He’s doing that Green Party more damage than good

He has a B.Comm., used to run a bike rental business, and fell asleep when he shouldn't have? And that makes him a money-grabber? Seriously? If someone is not overtly corrupt, and has the brains/get-up-and-go to be leader of any Irish political party then there are a zillion easier/surer ways to make money

On record in this term he's gotten the NORA bill over the line - it is actually a massive thing but you'll need more than lunchbreak to get your head around it.

The climate bill isn't on record so far.

That's where he is at.

He has a B.Comm., used to run a bike rental business, and fell asleep when he shouldn't have? And that makes him a money-grabber? Seriously? If someone is not overtly corrupt, and has the brains/get-up-and-go to be leader of any Irish political party then there are a zillion easier/surer ways to make money

I never said he is a money grabber.
he is more interested in money than climate change.
to put it more or less differently;
he comes across as the self serving type and his wiki confirmed a few things for me.

sorry my view seems outrageous to you Egg_

edit:
He’s also fallen asleep on the job on more than one occasion which Speaks volumes to me

Your view doesn't seem outrageous to me, just nonsensical
he is more interested in money than climate change.
Why would he be in the Green party in the first place if this was true? Being a minister pays well, but if you were really interested in making 180k a year you'd be much better off getting a job in a bank or google or somewhere like Accenture

People complaining about politicians only being in it for the money happens all over the world. But Ireland is the only place where a politician defends themselves by saying "I'm a trained accountant/lawyer/whatever, I'd be making a lot more money doing something else, and I wouldn't have to take a bollocking from people all day every day." I'm amazed that that doesn't happen elsewhere. I mean, it's true. People get into politics for whatever reason, but in this part of the world, there's far easier ways to make money.

Why would he be in the Green party in the first place if this was true? Being a minister pays well, but if you were really interested in making 180k a year you'd be much better off getting a job in a bank or google or somewhere like Accenture

pays VERY well.
Not to mention he has a more than generous pension.
Maybe he’s not interested in making €180,000 in Accenture or the like because, you know, that’d mean he’d have to actually work and keep his eyes open for the job and be held accountable.
Pun definitely intended

People complaining about politicians only being in it for the money happens all over the world. But Ireland is the only place where a politician defends themselves by saying "I'm a trained accountant/lawyer/whatever, I'd be making a lot more money doing something else, and I wouldn't have to take a bollocking from people all day every day." I'm amazed that that doesn't happen elsewhere. I mean, it's true. People get into politics for whatever reason, but in this part of the world, there's far easier ways to make money.
Would the reason for this not be that in other parts of the world they do tend to fuck off to some well-paid think-tank or consultancy firm, e.g . Chuka Umunna, Amber Rudd

ex-TD's don't seem to be quite the same (unless you're at Bertie Ahern level)

Last edited:
yeah, that's why he stayed with the green party while in the political wilderness, due to his lust for money and power?
Where could he have fuckin gone? Some magical party that would take him in and let him be leader straight away and not question his hypocrisy at all? He 100% stayed with the greens for the money and power, where the fuck else would he have any influence at all.

That's true, but then you'd
a) Actually have to do work of some sort every day (or at least do a good enough job making it look like you're doing something)
b) Have someone above you telling you what to do
Edit: c) Not be able to just 'define' your own job and say that yep, you're doing it

I wouldn't think Ryan would be much in to any of those ideas.

pays VERY well.
Not to mention he has a more than generous pension
Yeah, but the point is - the chances of him even getting a seat in the Dáil, never mind getting a ministerial job, are pretty slim for a member of the Green party. If money was what he was after then he made some fairly mystifying career choices

There's not really though. These actual jobs that are being listed require actual work where you have to actually apply yourself every now and again if you want to keep your job, so you are actually answerable in some way to the level or performance you achieve.
Doing politics just entails talking a load of shit to the right people until you get to the point where there's nobody left to oversee you and you can just set your own day to day schedule as you like and you don't really have to actually do anything. Even now, after the 'scandal' about it last year, you can still just get somebody else to 'sign you in' to the Dail so that you can still claim your travel money.
I mean, if you want to get elected as a TD in Kerry, the only qualification you need at this point is for your surname to be 'Healy-Rae'.

Yeah, but the point is - the chances of him even getting a seat in the Dáil, never mind getting a ministerial job, are pretty slim for a member of the Green party. If money was what he was after then he made some fairly mystifying career choices
He's a greedy fatcat making money off big-solar and big-wind and his work ethic can be described as "less than protestant," which we disapprove of around these parts.

???
After their last stint (even with the level of absolute fuck all they achieved), and until the Greens went into government this time around, he would have been pretty much the only Green party member with a high enough profile to be pretty much guaranteed getting a seat in every election?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back