You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

Those days are gone @egg_ .
There’s a few bars around us that do regular set dancing nights, and as well as charging at the door they’re starting to charge for *water as no one is drinking.

*Well it’s miwadi but watered down to nothing.

With the huge catalouge of songs about farm machinery and precise locations in rural ireland in the samba genre it is really mistifying.
I feel like a samba song about a precise location in Ireland makes about as much sense as what they did to Hank Williams.

Those days are gone @egg_ .
There’s a few bars around us that do regular set dancing nights, and as well as charging at the door they’re starting to charge for *water as no one is drinking.

*Well it’s miwadi but watered down to nothing.
Of drinking 10 pints in a night? Are they? I know set-dancers aren't boozers, my Ma and Da went to lessons back in the 90s and even then nobody drank at them, but normal culshie 20-somethings on a Saturday night? Maybe yer man was bullshitting me of course, you'd be in a better position than me to judge

I feel like a samba song about a precise location in Ireland makes about as much sense as what they did to Hank Williams.

I think there is a huge pre-loading of identity that trickled in here with the american western films. It is a few generations deep now but the cows, the manly problems, the dilemma (generally about getting rid of some obstacle beetween yourself and the ranch/wifey combo), the open plains was something that glamourises rural lifestyle while irish urbans like to joke about culchies to the point that the refuge for rural identity fell into the hands of the american cinema makers. The quiet man etc.. (not that culchies don't make jokes about sophisticated urbanites). That is distilled through A: Irelands completly irrational hatred of its own cultural jewels B: not having a horse, instead having a JCB/tractor/quad C: the ever foisted material dream that tv middle class americana is peak civilisation (television again..) D: the ever looming spectre of the brit hangover where rural ireland is de facto wrongness leaving an open goal for an external aspiration. They weren't repeating classic samba movies every weekend for the past 60 odd years like.

You forget the "Country & Western music comes from Irish music" bit.

Listen I don't care, I would just prefer if the locals were doing samba music instead of this stupid pretend cowboy line dancing embarrassment stuff.

I'm beginning to regret mentioning C&I.......oh what the hell, one more tune.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anywhoo speaking of line dancing and samba my new single is out and I'm in full 'do you have a moment to discuss the lord jesus christ' mode about it for at least 3 more days.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like it, I like it

giphy.gif

I think there is a huge pre-loading of identity that trickled in here with the american western films. It is a few generations deep now but the cows, the manly problems, the dilemma (generally about getting rid of some obstacle beetween yourself and the ranch/wifey combo), the open plains was something that glamourises rural lifestyle while irish urbans like to joke about culchies to the point that the refuge for rural identity fell into the hands of the american cinema makers. The quiet man etc.. (not that culchies don't make jokes about sophisticated urbanites). That is distilled through A: Irelands completly irrational hatred of its own cultural jewels B: not having a horse, instead having a JCB/tractor/quad C: the ever foisted material dream that tv middle class americana is peak civilisation (television again..) D: the ever looming spectre of the brit hangover where rural ireland is de facto wrongness leaving an open goal for an external aspiration. They weren't repeating classic samba movies every weekend for the past 60 odd years like.

Once, twice and thrice yes.

Though I'm sure they have rural samba in Gort.

What's the UK equivalent of this?

Wellerdads? Abbamums?

Country and Western is as huge in Scotland. The West country have their own charming scene. Fishermans Friends, Hayseed Dixie you may have heard of, but there's a whole scene there.
There's tonnes of Irish here obvs, but there's lots of English who just like all that twee stuff. You would find the same in Germany. C&I is a little different I grant. I have no idea why someone in England would learn all the words to a song about Ballywherever.

There's no real equivalent that I can think of here.
Wellerdads and Abbamums exist, but what's wrong with Weller and Abba?

I'm only kidding anyway, it's not as if there's isn't a whole world of shit samba music as well. I understand that this stuff is functional music, made for dancing, not for sitting around and listening to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back