The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

What do you not get about him? Vocals too soft?

I don't get the production of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, which is unfortunate considering the influence they had. I occasionally like other people's interpretations of their production so I do hope to come around to them proper a some point.

Last edited:
I don’t get how people listen to Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. I get the agit-prop cultural significance and all that (not that that interests me either) but musically I’ve yet to hear anything good. Even for its time it all sounded fairly contrived and uninteresting.

What about Nick Drake? I don't get him

Ah here.

Just take for example the first 20 seconds of Things Behind the Sun.

The only word about those chord changes that's appropriate is: delicious. He steps down at around 8 seconds and it's... yeah. I saw another person do that with some dead shitty nickle strings, the way he steps into that chord change. Leaving aside his voice, leaving everything else aside, just those chord changes by themselves... brutal. I've no idea why it is, but it definitely is.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don’t get how people listen to Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV. I get the agit-prop cultural significance and all that (not that that interests me either) but musically I’ve yet to hear anything good. Even for its time it all sounded fairly contrived and uninteresting.
I love TG but PTV are so-so for me. First two albums are grand but rarely played. I will say that I hardly ever listen to the TG studio albums, it’s all about the live recordings. It’s a combination of the energy, the noise, the satire, and the intermittent confrontations with the audience. Plus they were pretty innovative - they built their own gear and they sounded like few others (some of the early Krautrock like Kluster were very similar in terms of the noise). They combined that super-serious cultural mirror approach (that every post-TG industrial group ran with) but with a healthy dose of humour and self-depreciation. Contrived? Possibly but for me they’re contrived in the sense that they spent ages working on how to push the music and the listener in certain directions, but they were definitely living the life they tried to represent.

I suppose you’re actually getting the true TG experience though, one of their slogans was “Disappointment Guaranteed!”

Contrived? Possibly but for me they’re contrived in the sense that they spent ages working on how to push the music and the listener in certain directions, but they were definitely living the life they tried to represent.

I suppose you’re actually getting the true TG experience though, one of their slogans was “Disappointment Guaranteed!”

I listened to the DOA album and the slogan held true. It’s a complete non-event.

I listened to the DOA album and the slogan held true. It’s a complete non-event.

Put 20 jazz funk greats on on Friday. Had to turn it off before half way.
Nonsensical tuneless Chancery.
I do like a few bits off it but overall, not the record I remember liking so much. Maybe I just liked the idea of it moreso. Either way I think I need to do more drugs for music like that

"I dont want to grow up" - that's a good Tom Waits song. At least I think that's what it's called.

i like THROBBING GRISTLE but have little interest in what Gen sang about or
whatever they ideas tried to communicate.
- i just like the music (same with THE PRUNES)

how many bands make their own instruments or equipment ?

20 Jazz Funk Greats is a bit slick for my tastes alright.

never owned anything by and have rarely listened to PTV, COIL or CHRIS & COSEY.

Cornu made some good points and mentioned KLUSTER -
i have to say KLUSTER plus early CLUSTER and CONRAD SCHNITZLER are the business.

Cornu made some good points and mentioned KLUSTER -
i have to say KLUSTER plus early CLUSTER and CONRAD SCHNITZLER are the business.
I like Cluster with a C but you can’t seriously compare the likes of TG to Cluster! Tell me what to listen to and I’m happy to, but I’ve not heard it yet.

that year Schnitlzer read a newspaper advertisement by a church organist interested in new music. The result was church sponsorship for the first two albums, 'Klopfzeichen and Zwei-Osterei, provided Kluster was willing to add religious text to the first side of each LP. Both records were released by Schwann, a label known for church music, and a total of 300 copies of each were pressed and sold.

Now that's a back story. That's amazing.

Now that's a back story. That's amazing.
Not speaking German, the weird Easter sermon over the top didn’t register but any of my German friends I’ve talked to have said it’s awful and puts them off the music itself. Imagine someone put some altar boy shiting on about Jesus over Brian Eno or something.

I mean his music is grand and all but the fawning adoration of Bowie by really boring British celebrity and media people really puts me off him
I was listening to Radcliffe and Maconie yesterday on BBC6. Great show - those lads know their music.

They were talking about the fawning adulation people give Bowie and about how it seems a recent thing. Not sure if its because of his death, or if we were fawning over him before that. But they made the point that, all through the 90s, and for part of the 2000s, Bowie was playing venues that hold around 1000 people, and how he'd nearly struggle to sell out those venues.

They likened it to the Beatles in the 80s. People didn't fawn over them the way they have done since.

It seems fashionable to like certain artists, despite them having done little of note since we last thought they were shit.

Just wait til everyone starts liking U2 again

I was listening to Radcliffe and Maconie yesterday on BBC6. Great show - those lads know their music.

They were talking about the fawning adulation people give Bowie and about how it seems a recent thing. Not sure if its because of his death, or if we were fawning over him before that. But they made the point that, all through the 90s, and for part of the 2000s, Bowie was playing venues that hold around 1000 people, and how he'd nearly struggle to sell out those venues.

They likened it to the Beatles in the 80s. People didn't fawn over them the way they have done since.

It seems fashionable to like certain artists, despite them having done little of note since we last thought they were shit.

Just wait til everyone starts liking U2 again
Yeah, I noticed it intensify after his death. People who I'd never heard mention him before were suddenly gushing about what a great artist, icon and humble man he was. And they're still at it now. :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back