I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

the banana plug cables i have to connect my amplifier to the speakers only
work when they feel like it so i want to get some new replacement cables.

i'm too lazy to do any research so any suggestions on replacement options
would be much appreciated.
i want something that is ready to use.
my amps are Wharfedales and it's a modern entry level Pioneer amp.
i assume the 'screwed in bare wire ends' option might be better ?

i always found this part of a hi-fi system to be inconvenient and badly designed ?

The turntable on one of my players is acting up.

I put some talc on the belt to see if it would help but it's just as bad so it looks like I need a new one.

It also doesn't play 45s anymore- could that be belt related?

Is the thing just fucked?

Took a big risk yesterday by installing the new stylus/cartridge I bought online. Figured out how to do it from Youtube. Fitted the cartridge, balanced the tone arm, set the tracking, aligned the cartridge and ....... stylus kept sliding outwards at random points when playing record. Realised this was to do with the anti-skating and then figured out I was adjusting it in the wrong direction. Seemed to sort it. Then put on a record today and the same thing happened. Started again and set the weight to 2g instead of 1.75g. Seems to have done the trick (so far) and it sounds great.

So I seem to have avoided the unimaginably awful scenario of not being able to play records during the lockdown.

I havent really used my record player for the last couple of months because I put on one of the new Stereolab reissues that arrived in the post and it sounded all distorted so I started messing with the weight and anti-skate thing and now I can't get it right. I don't get what the instructions are telling me. A couple of years ago I brought it out to Cloney Audio and the nice guy there set it all up for me, soldered a fault on the arm, put coloured stickers to help me set it up in future and even offered to come out to the house if I had any issues (all for free because i bought it there 14 or 15 years earlier...) but I can't remember what the stickers mean or what he told me. If I and my job survive the pandemic I might by a new one, seems like the simplest solution.

Took a big risk yesterday by installing the new stylus/cartridge I bought online. Figured out how to do it from Youtube. Fitted the cartridge, balanced the tone arm, set the tracking, aligned the cartridge and ....... stylus kept sliding outwards at random points when playing record. Realised this was to do with the anti-skating and then figured out I was adjusting it in the wrong direction. Seemed to sort it. Then put on a record today and the same thing happened. Started again and set the weight to 2g instead of 1.75g. Seems to have done the trick (so far) and it sounds great.

So I seem to have avoided the unimaginably awful scenario of not being able to play records during the lockdown.

one of my speakers isn't working but not playing records at all for possibly months ?
the horror, the horror...

I'm getting a massive amount of listening to actual records done. The girls have been binging tv shows and movies I'm not into and I've been retreating to records instead

(Another opportunity for me to say thanks to hugh. Unfortunately those beers are looking like a long time coming now)

best thing about last few weeks is that i had bought loads of records in last
two or three years i haven't listened to enough and at least this is giving me
a chance to put that right.

I've been thinking that I need to get a new stylus. The current one has been on it a while. I wasn't sure how long extractly until I found the email receipt. October 2014. It's a rega elys2. €139. That's a lot for me to spend but I think I got my money's worth. The next one up is the rega exact. It's €300. I just can't justify spending that on a stylus no matter what the audiophile forums say.

You need to write down everything you listen to and keep a running total of the minutes play so that you'll know when to change it. Usually they tell you how long the needle can be expected to last.

I havent really used my record player for the last couple of months because I put on one of the new Stereolab reissues that arrived in the post and it sounded all distorted so I started messing with the weight and anti-skate thing and now I can't get it right. I don't get what the instructions are telling me. A couple of years ago I brought it out to Cloney Audio and the nice guy there set it all up for me, soldered a fault on the arm, put coloured stickers to help me set it up in future and even offered to come out to the house if I had any issues (all for free because i bought it there 14 or 15 years earlier...) but I can't remember what the stickers mean or what he told me. If I and my job survive the pandemic I might by a new one, seems like the simplest solution.

I found this pretty helpful.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been thinking that I need to get a new stylus. The current one has been on it a while. I wasn't sure how long extractly until I found the email receipt. October 2014. It's a rega elys2. €139. That's a lot for me to spend but I think I got my money's worth. The next one up is the rega exact. It's €300. I just can't justify spending that on a stylus no matter what the audiophile forums say.

I *think* my audio-nerd guy told me that the elys2 is a repackaged version of an Audio Technica one which is much cheaper i.e. they are made in the same factory and are exactly the same but are just branded differently. Make of that what you will.

I *think* my audio-nerd guy told me that the elys2 is a repackaged version of an Audio Technica one which is much cheaper i.e. they are made in the same factory and are exactly the same but are just branded differently. Make of that what you will.

I'll look into it. It's the fitting of the thing that's the concern. The rega cartridges are going to fit perfectly without any adjustment. Not being an expert that suits me. My patience with all this vinyl bullshit is waning.

No. Is that the thing that you put the stylus down on to check the weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back