NTL / UPC / Virgin Media Broadband (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 513
  • Views 66K
  • Watchers 11
I was Looking at virgin media as a broadband optionfor when I move

Y5uuXFL.jpg

So the answer is No, you can't.

yeah but the costs are heavily loaded on the broadband side - with virgin media all their broadband offers for new customers start at €39, but after 6 months you end up at €59 (250 down/20 up), €64 (360/30), or €69 (500/50) a month.

If you go for their unlimited phone service and the TV bundle it's €30 extra, so either €89, €94, or €99 after 6 months, depending on your initial broadband speed choice.

So €59 it’d be PIR moi. That’s not too bad. Despite being almost double what it was ten years ago.
Inflation and shit i spose

I've been fairly blasé about my broadband for the last few years, I'm with Virgin, but the cost with TV is now €99 which is just stupid. I was going to switch to Eir's €30 a month (for a year) incl Amazon Prime but found out that my street isn't on the Eir's fibre network which is really annoying. Anyway I checked my Virgin package and I've been on 120Mb broadband for the last 5 years even though I'm paying full price (they currently offer 500Mb at €99)! They claim it's my fault for not asking to be upgraded. Pricks.

Can't get anything near 120Mb broadband from any other providers. When is 5G Broadband coming?

don't think so. who cares like - it's 200meg

I read somewhere that their existing cable infrastructure can do gigabit speeds. GIGABIT!

This was my first modem (it was borrowed, as was the Eirpac account i used to get onto god knows what british university to play AMP):

cnet16.jpg

It could do 1200 baud, which equates to 0.0012Mb/sec, which means a 200Mb connection is about 166,667 times faster.

Progress.

7 years later...

Nice one. I'm definitely getting a new router so..that superhub is garbage

we're supposed to be gettin 125MB or 150MB from them - has been nowhere near that for months, yesterday standing a metre from the router, my phone was getting 19MB on download. i was getting 126MB on vodafone 4G.

I'm getting 85mb currently.

But whats this,they say they're "making it available" to everyone..but you have to pay for it I'm guessing

I have to take it up with them when I get back to Ireland. I've consistently been getting ~25 down for a while now. Even the upload speeds are faster than the down, which is odd to say the least.

Have a 10 euro tv/internet package over here in the baltics. Consistently get 80 down/50 up. I'd be well happy with that back home.

You need to do your speed test from a wired connection before you contact them. It’s the first thing they’ll ask - wired or Wi-Fi? I get about 350 down/50 up on my portable telephony device.

I'm getting 85mb currently.

But whats this,they say they're "making it available" to everyone..but you have to pay for it I'm guessing
Aye new contract and it bumps the bundle price up a bit. I was considering switching to the new set top boxes they have anyway...

I’m out of contract so I might ring up to cancel again and see what deal I get this time. Got a good few quid off last year.

I'm thinking of getting rid of Virgin and going with vodafone.

Virgin is shit..keeps dropping the connection

I'm getting 240MB on mine upstairs on wifi (and I'm not the only person using it at the moment) so that's seems pretty good, right?

I absolutely loath the Virgin Media set-top box thing for the TV though. I just hate looking at it and I can't hide it somewhere because then the remote won't work.

I'm getting high speeds, but it will drop for 5-10 seconds to nothing 15 to 20 times a day. Not a problem if you're just browsing but a royal pain when it happens 6 times in a 45 minute online meeting or during a phone call (we're using a desktop app to connect to our switch).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back